• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I am currently running the latest CC apps on a Windows 7 machine and am currently looking to upgrade my PC hardware, I have my eye on either the new Dell XPS15 with Haswell CPU/HiDPI screen (3200x1800 resolution) or the equivalent new Dell Precision m3800 when available in November with identical specs.  After testing a number Windows 8/8.1 systems over the last few days with Photoshop CC (14.1.2) It appears that Adobe has still yet to implement retina style UI scaling for any of it's CC apps for the Windows platform. They all seem to default to a predefined pixel font size. Potentially making Photoshop and other apps unusable on a 3200x1800 15.6" laptop screen if they do not scale like their Mac counterparts.  Can anyone confirm or elaborate on whether this feature exists for Adobe products on Windows yet, if it ever will or when it will become available in the near future?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Again, we're continuing to work with Microsoft on the scaling problems in Windows.

We, and they, recognize that the existing attempts to offer scalable UI have serious issues.

And no, we can't commit to a timeframe for a long list of reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 353 Replies 353

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows doesn't have Retina style scaling APIs yet, and has some problems in the existing attempt at scaling UIs.

We are continuing to work with Microsoft on the scaling problems, but don't have a solution for Windows yet.

Photoshop does have UI font scaling, but no way to scale the icons and other UI elements on Windows at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disappointing news, I thought Windows 8.1 was supposed to bring a whole host new features to support retina styling UI scaling:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/26/4465442/windows-8-1-will-finally-add-retina-display-support

Plenty of other non-Microsoft applications seem to scale reasonably well without any recompiling, feels like favouritism towards Macs

Can future revisions of Adobe products not take advantage of these updates in Win 8.1, is Adobe bothered about supporting HiDPI on Windows 8+ ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft is getting closer, but isn't there just yet.

Again, we are continuing to work with Microsoft to address the scaling issues on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give any more information on the scale or rough timetable for releasing something to fix this problem.  Do we need to wait for a Windows 8.2 release in Oct 2014, or is it more around opening up API's in things like Visual Studio WPF to allow better HiDPI support, i.e. will we need to wait 12-18 months for Win 8.2 or 2-3 months for development framework API fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already said all I can say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really sad. I got a new laptop specifically for Adobe CC, thinking that if any company would do HiDPI support right, certainly it's gotta be Adobe. The CC suite is 75% of the reason I wanted a HiDPI display to begin with, but you can't even give us any sort of ETA except someday, maybe, if we're lucky?

How come MS Office, Firefox, Chrome, can do it but Adobe with its vast resources can't even give a timeframe? You already have all the high-res assets from the OSX/Retina side, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, we're continuing to work with Microsoft on the scaling problems in Windows.

We, and they, recognize that the existing attempts to offer scalable UI have serious issues.

And no, we can't commit to a timeframe for a long list of reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I'm very interested in an ETA on this. Even it's just 'this quarter'.

I pay for Photoshop CC as part of my CC subscription, and this is a necassary fix for me to be abe to operate as I need to when on te go.

I understand that Microsoft may not have provided the documentaion early enough for you to finish the work, but Windows 8.1 is out now, and this is a real issue that's affecting customers in non-beta environments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's indeed a bit ridiculous in this day and age that professional software cannot deal properly with higher ppi screens. Adobe sofware is not the only culprit out there.

Blender 3D comes with a custom ppi screen setting in its preferences, and allows the user to adjust the overall GUI size interactively. And that is open source software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this is resolved sooner then later and I am just adding my feedback as the more complain the faster things will happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted information about how to use an external monitor earlier.

Here is my solution for both the Dell XPS 15 Touch display and the external monitor, until Adobe and Microsoft resolve this issue.

Dell XPS 15 Touch display:

Search and launch the Control Panel then select Display

Select "Adjust resolution" and lower the resolution to half the native resolution of the display:  1600 x 900

Go up one level and set scaling at 100% (this screen will look huge until you perform this action)

You will have to log out and in again.

All Adobe, Autodesk and Microsoft products display perfectly.

You may get an "Optimal Resolution Warning" when you launch certain applications. To keep this from happening, simply check the box for "Do No Show Again".

Hopefully, Adobe and Microsoft will resolve this issue soon and then we can go back to the native resolution of the laptop display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2013 Dec 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the dell m3800 but when i set the resolution to 1600x900 the screen is all blurry, does anybody else have this problem? Illustrator cs 5 is scaled btw so i used it, draw a 45° line turned off antialias artwork and took macro-screenshot:

bluriness.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2013 Dec 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The display is blurry because you're using your screen at a non-native resolution and it's just doubling the pixels without adding more visual information. It's like upsampling in Photoshop with a non-smoothing algorithm. Even with a better algorithm some amount of blurring is unavoiable because you're telling the computer to use half the resolution, blown up 2x, to cover your entire screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to follow up on my opening post and Chris' subsequent follow ups.

It appears we are no further forward with finding a resolution and our feeling of being second class customers to Adobe's Apple users What does seem incredible is the fragmented nature of Adobe's code base across it's product line with some current applications supporting true HiDPI scaling out of the box, others don't, while older versions of non supporting applications previously up-scaled (blurry) but now don't even do that.

What I can't understand is why HiDPI support on Windows seems to have taken Adobe by surprise, did they not realise it was imminent when Apple introduced Retina displays?

I would also like to return to Chris' comment back on the 28th Oct regarding the lack of retina style scaling API's in Windows. Windows 8.1 at least has such an API available with support through MS Visual Studio 2013:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/br226166

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Scaling-sample-cf072f4f

However something tells me that Adobe doesn't use MSVS to take advantage of this API.

So my laptop upgrade is on hold indefinately until this is resolved or we at least get the common courtesy from Adobe to inform it's Windows based Creative Cloud subscribers when such an important feature is to be supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only hope that there is actually somebody working on this rather than spending all our hard earned on minor camera release updates...

I wonder if we can have a class action for the eyesight issues caused by straining to see tiny icons

Hint:  Even a comment on this thread with progress would be nice!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont be unfair. There was this after effects CS6 Update which fixed an issue with the spanish version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with what has been said, it is a disgrace on the part of Adobe to invest so little for such a pressing matter.

Many applications scale very well with Windows 8.1, including a few of Adobe.

In addition, not having vector UI elements that scale is so 1990 and highly distasteful from the market leader in vector tools.

It simply shows how many years Adobe has been living on super fat upgrade prices for very little additional features and next to no in-depth improvements.

My experience with the new Dell XPS 15 3200x1800, which is truly an outstanding laptop in its own right, for CS6 work:

don't bother for Illustrator, after effects, premiere.

It isn't optimal for Photoshop but I personnally use much less dialogbox based addons.

Knowing all keyboard shortcuts becomes almost mandatory.

InDesign scales perfectly, as well as Lightroom 5.2

So my advice is to pressure Adobe into giving a timetable of when the situation will be resolved and plan purchasing a laptop at this time.

My advice for Adobe would be to start taking the Indesign/Lightroom team to teach the old guard how things are done.

If you want to buy a laptop with super high resolution now, and again many applications work very well as is under Windows 8.1, be prepared to work with a non super high resolution external monitor for Adobe work. If you don't like this solution I recommend postponing the laptop purchase, as you would be disappointed for what are in effet amazing laptops. Or purchase them with a 1920x1080 resolution and with the sparred money buy a high res external monitor when the time comes.

Update

There is a potential mitigating workaround, but you'll have to test it to see if it's for you or not.

Use the Windows magnifier ( 'Windows Key' + 'plus key') to zoom in, set it on magnifying glass mode (not full screen mode) in the drop down or with ctrl-alt-L

Optionally, you may want to adjust the size of the zoomed window to taste with ctrl-alt-R, then move the mouse to resize and click to set. I find that a wide rectange works well fo rme.

When not needed any more either use Windows key + minus key to zoom out or press Windows + Esc to close the Windows magnifier.

Note that Windows+ minus doesn't work on my laptop, it works only with the minus of the numeric keypad. But Win + Esc is a working alternative.

I find the magnifier of tremendous help with Adobe's tiny ui elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to also add my voice to the chorus - is there any reason we cant allow the fonts on the tool bar to be larger?

Even if the icons are still too small this would at least make the app a little more usable - seems like a quick fix - there's already a setting for font size in the preferences - it just doesn't go big enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2014 Feb 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been at least 2 MORE months since this "Answer" was supplied. This issue needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read most of this thread and man there are some whiny bitches out there.

Photoshop is NOT "unusable".  It just sucks to use it at such hi-res, so whining about compensation is just retarded.

Keep at it Adobe.  Those Microsloth bastards will get it right eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep at it Adobe.  Those Microsloth bastards will get it right eventually.

Oddly, feature pages for programs like InCopy and Illustrator explicity say "HiDPI Support". I guess "Micro$lofh", seeing how popular widely used well known programs like InCopy, they "got it right" and worked on InCopy support day and night.

Uh huh.

So "Micro$slofh" built scaling support for InCopy and not Photoshop huh?

That sounds right to you Jazz, doesn't it? Yep, just like "Mac is secure" does too, as long as you overlook total FAILS like the most recent ssl bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sound like you have no idea how anything works.  As a developer, I know exactly what the problem is and it's not so simple to fix.  I'm surprised anyone is able to get any apps as big as Photoshop working under Windows.  The Windows API is such a ball-ache to develop for.

My advice to anyone who wants to whine about this $hit is go and learn C/C++, then take a crack at the Windows API, and then come back and tell us your thoughts here and maybe people like me won't think you're a bloody idiot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've developed graphics apps that size their controls to the configured Desktop size.  It's doable, but it takes some backflips.  Adobe just has a much larger task of it, because - as Jazz13_au says - it's a BIG application.  They'll get it done.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised anyone is able to get any apps as big as Photoshop working under Windows.  The Windows API is such a ball-ache to develop for.

Man, there are some whiny ******* out there. Myself, I am a developer going on 15 years, son.

Adobe, Jazz and I are perplexed why you've assigned amatuer programmers to fix the UI problem with your flagship program. And as Jazz has pointed out, Photoshop DOES work - you're not rebuilding the application from ground up - all the effects have worked on any resolution, any monitor size, and at any zoom level, so we're ONLY talking about UI - the controls and menus.

So can you please grab your more competent developers assigned to InDesign and Illustrator, or hire some from any number companies currently making software for Windows that runs fine on HiDPI?

Your apologists out there want me to cry a tear for you because your company has only been writing Photoshop for Windows for 22 years, and, you know, you apparently have not made any headway because, well, golly, "it's hard and tough and stuff".

Pull up your panties Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines