• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Version not compatible

Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Bit of a computer novice here, I have been having problems with youtube recently and think it is down to flash player.  After playing around for a bit I have uninstalled it alltogether with the view to install the latest version.

When I try to install from

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

or

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/general/download_splash.cfm/adobe_flash_player_firefox_mozilla_ope...

I am ok with downloading but get the message

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher".

then can't go any further.

FYI - I have a 64-bit windows 7.  I am using mainly Opera (the latest version), but also use Firefox and Chrome ocassionally.  I'm not sure how uptodate the versions of them are.

I'm really not sure how to get around this problem other than trying to download earlier versions, but expect I will need the latest at somepoint.

Can anyone advise what needs to be don't.

Thanks very much for help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome has its own Flash Player Plugin ("PepperFlash"). It updates by updating the browser.

This may seem like a bunch of steps, but it really goes pretty quickly:

Download the following files by right clicking and selecting "Save target as"

Flash Player Uninstaller

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Save ALL files to your Downloads folder - DO NOT RUN anything yet.

Reboot your system.

BEFORE opening anything else, go to your Downloads folder and run the UNINSTALLER to remove all instances of Flash Player.

Next, run the ActiveX Installer.

Lastly, run the Installer for other browsers.

Once Flash Player is installed go to: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp

Download BOTH files, the one on the right FIRST by right clicking and selecting "Save target as"... the other by clicking and following the steps to dwonload the FULL ActiveX installer.

swfull.jpg

Once everything is installed, see:Enabling Flash Player in Internet Explorer  and: ActiveX Filtering in Internet Explorer  to make 100% sure that Flash Player is enabled and NOT being blocked by ActiveX controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for that. 

I couldn't run the uninstaller, I got the same message as above.  This one:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher".

I followed the rest of it.  I never use internet explorer, Its on my computer but doesn't work properly.  I can't seem to install or remove it, which doesn't bother me as I never use it.  Unless its causing these problems.

It seems I now have flash player installed.

However I still have a problem with youtube videos and similar websites.  Mainly youtube though, some videos work fine but most I just get a black screen.  If I leave it for a while the video sometime comes up fine or will play so I get sound but the screen remains black.

I thought it was a flash issue, however this is happenning in googlechrome too, which as you said doesn't have flash.  It has only been an issue the last few days. 

Although this now seems as if it isn't adobe flash related I thought I would mention it whilst I'm here, I've done a lot of searching on the internet and can't seem to work out a solution.

Short of resorting to factory setting I'm not sure what to do.  So any idea are welcome.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start>Run (or press the Windows key+R)

Type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes)

You may need your OS disc to fully run the System File Checker, so have it handy if you have one. If you don't you may not wan tot run it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work/do anything.

Anyhow a coupleof updates/info I've found.

1) I've found this http://www.unblock-proxy.net/ website.  It seems if i put the youtube web address in that website then it all works.  No idea why or what that is indicating.

2) according to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ the version of adobe I have is 11,9,900,117.  I assume this is good enough version for youtube and other websites to work.

3) bbc website player isn't working, having read about the bbc player it seems this is a problem with flash/alternative versions.  Also having the same problem on googlechrome which started at the same time.

So I'm thinking something on my computer is stopping/blocking all this working rather than updates/fixes being needed.  Just no idea what or how to find it.

thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicate that "unblock-proxy.net" helped. That would indicate you're using a proxy somewhere in your setup. BBC won't work with a proxy. From what I gather, it's a block put in by the government as an "anti-terrorism" measure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for a moment I thought you meant the government had put it on my computer cause they think i'm a terrorist.  Now I realise its on bbc website. 

anyhow i've no idea how to find it or how to remove it.  It hasn't been there until recently because everything was working.  So atleast this puts me on the right path to try to fix it.  If you've got any ideas.

Otherwise thanks very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines