• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can anyone recommend information on MVC as it pertains to ColdFusion?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to wrap my head around MVC, and I know the subject matter is, in and of itself, technical.  I'm not the best ColdFusion programmer out there, but I'm pretty seasoned. 

As such I'd really like to understand MVC, but I have yet to find a resource that has been able to do so.  I just finished watching an hour long video and the presenter basically through a myriad of terminology at me, and no comprehension was really made.  Has anyone found a resource out there that provides maybe a high-level overview of MVC from a CF standpoint?

I'd really like to utilize the principles, but I just can't seem to find a training source that can speak to me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Aegis,

You might take a look at the docs for some of the "lite" ColdFusion MVC frameworks.  Framework 1 (FW/1) and ColdBox Lite are probably the easiest MVC frameworks to use, and their introductory docs explain the MVC concept.  You might also take a look at this blog post from Ben Nadel which provides a good undestanding of what each piece of MVC does.  Kevin Stannard wrote a blog post on writing his own MVC framework, which also helps understand how things fit together.

HTH,

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aegis,

You might take a look at the docs for some of the "lite" ColdFusion MVC frameworks.  Framework 1 (FW/1) and ColdBox Lite are probably the easiest MVC frameworks to use, and their introductory docs explain the MVC concept.  You might also take a look at this blog post from Ben Nadel which provides a good undestanding of what each piece of MVC does.  Kevin Stannard wrote a blog post on writing his own MVC framework, which also helps understand how things fit together.

HTH,

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Carl, that Kevin Stannard post was excellent!  Thank you so much.

I think a "lite" version of my own custom framework is a perfect learning experience for how MVC works, and allows me to ever-optimize it as my understanding grows.  Ben's an EXCELLENT CF developer, and I had read his post you linked there, but it really provided little information regarding the intricacies of the MVC separation of concerns; it seemed more based on telling you what to be careful each layer was doing, but that aside Nadel's website is always chock full of great info.

Kevin's post really does a great job helping me understand.  I have a lot of re-coding to do with my framework, but oddly enough, I'm excited to do so.  If I can get my framework to be a modular, OOP-based MVC format, I'll feel as if I'm nearing cutting edge methodologies.

Also, I read some doc son FW/1's process, and I like its organization structure.  In how CF simplified application development, I think FW/1 does a good job of simplifying a framework.

Much kudos to ya Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation