• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open ebooks format .epub with ADE 2.0

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 I am not able to open an ebook format .epub. The error I get is: this is not a valid win-32 application, although I am using Windows 7-32 bit. With the former version of ADE I had no problems at all. I wonder what is going on, can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance,

Mistik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you are getting this particular issue; that combination works for many people.

It sounds as if something went wrong with your install.

You could try uninstall and reinstall.

If that doesn't help, try the much more reliable v1.7.2 instead.

~~~~~~~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Some people have found ADE trying to upgrade automatically. 

It appears (not 100% sure) that if you install ADE2.0 as a new install (not as an upgrade) that your 1.7.2 will continue to run.

Probably best to say no if 2.0.x installation asks if you want to migrate your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I followed your advice and installed version 1.7.2 of ADE.

What has changed is that it is now possible to open epubs, but only when I transfer them to a bookshelf in ADE. What I want is opening the epubs in my download folder by double clicking on them, but that is still not possible. I don't understand why this is not possible any more. Furthermore I don't want to transfer all of them to ADE because as far as I can see under the heading "author" there is no possibility to change the sequence of the names. I want it like this: Hoofdman, Louise and not Louise Hoofdman.       Greetings Mistik   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the registration of ADE to Windows as the default hander for .acsm and .epub files does not work;

that is what causes the double-click in Explorer to fail;

especially in Windows 8/8.1, and maybe 7;

this appears to be a bug in Windows (for once not a bug in ADE).

Two possible ways round it.

First, try to force it in Explorer

Right-click on a .epub file (and repeat entire sequence for .acsm if necessary)

Select 'open with' if on the list, 'open' if not.

Select 'choose default program'

Select ADE if it is on the list,

If not select 'more options' and navigate to the ADE executable (may be at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe)

Now .epub/.acsm files should be associated with ADE, and double-clicking should work.

Sometimes, Windows allows you to go through all that, but then refuses to make the association you have asked for.

In that case, the only way I know is to use a third partly file association program.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Types.shtml works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~

For non-DRM books I suggest the use of the free Calibre rather than ADE.

It is much more reliable and powerful, including sensible handing of author names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sjpt schreef op 31-10-2013 10:17:

Hi sjpt,

This is to tell you that my problem with ADE has been solved. ADE was

not the culprit, it was my computer that probably still had malware,

despite scanning with CCleaner. I found a program called Spywareblaster

and after running it the computer acted normal again, so that I could

reach 'open with' and make the association with ADE. All is fine now, I

can open the .epubs in my download folder by just right clicking on them.

I want to thank you for your fast and kind support in this case.

Greetings from The Netherlands, Louise Hoofdman

Re: Cannot open ebooks format .epub with ADE 2.0

created by sjpt <http://forums.adobe.com/people/sjpt> in /Adobe

Digital Editions/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5802852#5802852

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad all now going well.

despite scanning with CCleaner. I found a program called Spywareblaster

CCleaner is an excellent programs which I use regularly, but it isn't designed against that kind of C***

For anyone else who thinks they may have similar issues, Malwarebytes Antimalware is an excellent choice,

run together with any high quality anti-virus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines