• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change heap memory settings when CF won't start?

Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the process of re-writing a web app that someone else did a very poor job on, especially the database design.

While examining the existing database, I ran into an "OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" error, so I went into the CF Admin and bumped the setting from 512 up to 2048 (CF8 Developer Edition).

Now I can't get CF to start up, and as such I can't get back into the CF Admin to change the setting back.  Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling CF?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

It's somewhat version and edition dependent, so just open a CMD window, CD to the base of your installation (C:\ColdFusion9 for instance) and dir a DIR/S jvm.config to find the config file.  Then just open it in notebook, etc., and fix the memory setting.

-reed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's somewhat version and edition dependent, so just open a CMD window, CD to the base of your installation (C:\ColdFusion9 for instance) and dir a DIR/S jvm.config to find the config file.  Then just open it in notebook, etc., and fix the memory setting.

-reed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reed, you are a gentleman and a scholar.  My system is back up, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, if you are running on a 32-bit system, nothing over 1024 will work, and will in fact crash the machine.  As the person above mentioned, you can simply stop your CF services, modify the jvm.config manually, and restart.  If you are on 64-bit please let us know.

P.S.  Even bumping up from 512 to 1024 should make a big difference.  And you may also want to increase your maxPermSize to the next 128m increment.  On a 32-bit system, always make changes incrementally and test.  And plan to upgrade to 64-bit if you are not already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true.  You can easily go as high as at least 1384 on a 32 bit system.  I usually run into problems going any higher, although the memory architecture would allow it to go to around 1.8gb.

-reed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be true, but 1024 is a more efficient and common chunk size.  It's usually best practice to open up memory in chunks of 128/256/512/1024 and so on.  To be honest I've never tested the difference, but you can Google it.  If you're so desperate that you need the additional 360mb then go for it, but it seems dangerous to me to run at exactly the "redline".  Plus, you'll need to make sure the rest of the programs running on the 32-bit system have enough memory of their own or you could run into page caching issues that will slow things down indirectly.  Or you could try implementing the /3G startup switch in Windows server, I had to do that once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation