Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change only one layer

Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want the ability to effect only one layer with the color balance, photo filter, etc.. and not change the layers underneath. How do you accomplish this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clip a color balance adjustment layer to the layer if you want to be able to readjust the adjustment. Or just color balance the layer in a destructive manner.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to JJMack's suggestion, if you have, or create an Adjustment Layer, but want it to ONLY affect one Layer, drag (or create it) to above that target Layer, then hold the Alt key, between that target Layer and the Adjustment Layer, and the Cursor will change to two, slightly offset black circles, then click on that line between Layers. That Adjustment Layer will then only affect that one Layer.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clipping is the easiest way to do this, but you can also put the layer and the adjustment layer in a group and set the blend mode to "Normal."  This way you can limit the what layers the adjustment layer affects: one to many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this.

I've also been using smart objects, and opening the layer as another project. That seems to be working very well for me, as I'm doing a lot of changes. Are there any downsides to using this method that I might not be aware of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are not a lot of down sides, occasionally you'll run into some situation where it's better to have an editable layer in your original document, but for the most part SO are a good option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has been a while since I used photoshop heavy-handedly, and I didn't know this was a feature (need to brush up with some Lynda tutorials). Thank you much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines