• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Left pane

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2007 Apr 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just purchased RH 6. I have not used RH for 3-4 years and was self-taught then. Now I am inheriting Help files that were created in x5. When I open RH6, and open one of the Sample files that comes with it, the left navigation pane displays the Glossary, Index, etc as I expect. However, when I open an existing Help (x5) file, the only thing I have in the left pane is Tools. How do I get all the other objects to display?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Tools is the tab that displays if you open RH without opening a a project. So it sounds like you are opening RH but not a project. How exactly are you opening one of your old projects?

I would suggest taking a copy of any project before opening it in RH6.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm inheriting someone elses and he has the project broken out into many, many files. I cannot open just one file? I need to figure out which of these many files is the Project? How would I do that? Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jo. When you open a project - any project - there should be a series of tabs in the bottom left hand corner. One of these is "Project" and contains your project files. Are these tabs displayed? If not, can you tell us exactly how you are opening the X5 project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, those tabs are not displayed. To open the x5 files, I open RH6 HTML and then double click on one of these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These projects you've inheritied......do you have all the source files? Just a hunch but if you don't have the TOC, index files you may not see the tabs. Look for files called project.HHC, project.hhk, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo. Not sure what I do about that; but I was considering starting from scratch anyway and that just may be easier. The reason I inherited in the first place is because the existing files have been deemed as not having any value. (ouch!)
Thanks so much for your help -- I just couldn't figure that one out. I forgot about all those files RH creates -- I don't have any of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you have the CHM file it is possible to decompile it which would provide you with the files. Just use the Extract function of the HTML Help Studio tool. But if you have major changes to do, it may be best to start from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp