Ray-tracing & GPU on 12.1

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When opening 12.1 I now get this message:

Ray-tracing on the GPU requires an approved NVIDIA graphics card

and CUDA 5.0 or later. For now, ray-tracing will be used by the CPU.

I have a GTX285 updated to 5.5.28 - any idea what's going on?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The warning doesn't say I don't have enough memory, it says I need CUDA 5.0 or higher and I have 5.5.28.

Is that the same warning different wording??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Sorry. Wrong message.

Let me look into what might be causing yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list as well.  Have AE Creative Cloud (latest release) with an IMac Late 2013 with the following NVIDIA chipset:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB.  System has 32GB of RAM as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

//Previous post was by previously logged in account. BosleyBeats is having the similar issue.

//REPOST:

Add me to the list as well.  Have AE Creative Cloud (latest release) with an IMac Late 2013 with the following NVIDIA chipset:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB.  System has 32GB of RAM as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved this issue on my system with the following CUDA drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.28-driver.html

If you're using a PC, I suggest looking up the equivalent drivers on Nvdia website and give that a try.

Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... not mine. I've had those drivers all along and I'm still getting the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all -

TRY THIS:

#1: open up AE and jump into preferences.

#2: select the PREVIEWS panel and then GPU INFORMATION

#3: Select your GPU under the Raytracing dropdown and click the ENABLE UNTESTED, UNSUPPORTED... checkbox

#4: It still may say 'unsupported', but ignore that and OK everything you just did.

#5: Shut down and restart AE.

This worked for me. If it doesn't immediately work for you, you might want to throw a system restart after step 5 and see if it "takes" your card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine's grayed out even though as you can see, I have a supposedly approved card.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 5.58.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you restarted your system lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did and no joy. Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same screen?

Ok. I am going to assume you are on a Mac. You know how to add your card to the supported card lists? If not, simple version is to "show package contents" when right clicking on AE. In the Contents folder are two txt files that are apparently no longer relevant with the new CC update, BUT I'd throw your card in them anyway. File names are: intel_ogl_supported_cards.txt and raytracer_supported_cards.txt

Add your card as 'GeForce GTX 285'

If that doesnt clear it up or if you've done that already let me know... I'll keep thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I notice that you still had CPU selected from the drop down. Can you send me a screenshot of what it looks like when you have your GPU selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to help me here OzzyofLA. Much appreciated.

The card is already in raytracer_supported_cards.txt and won't let me add to intel_ogl_supported_cards.txt, says it's locked.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.27.49 PM.png

GPU is also grayed-out in the dropdown.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.22.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste the txt file to your desktop so you can open and edit it there. Then copy it back. Make sure its the same name.

That is just to be sure it doesn't easily solve your problem. It very well may not, but let's eliminate what we can.

Do you have CUDA fully installed? You should be at version 5.5.28 in System Preferences.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.39.24 PM.png <<<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've added the text and rebooted but it's a no go.

I've had the 5.5.28 since it came out and didn't have this problem until I installed 12.1

Strange I seem to be the only one on a Mac with this problem grrr.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.59.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.57.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, you made a mistake and placed your card in the UNSUPPORTED ogl .txt file. Remove it from there and put it in the SUPPORTED .txt.

Let me know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a SUPPORTED.txt. I do have a raytracer_supported_cards.txt though and it is in there - see above.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 8.52.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You removed it from the UNSUPPORTED txt though, yeah? You can add in the following txt file by just duplicating any of the others and put your card in it:

intel_ogl_supported_cards.txt

Then restart and let me know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, removed it and put it in supported and rebooted - no luck.

Any idea what GPUSniffer is in the folder? Could be promising, no?

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 9.10.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is all the code in that file? Pretty sure GPU sniffer is what allows Adobe products to recognize your card. Nothing too special. Here is what My intel_ogl txt file looks like:

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 9.17.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dunno. I duplicated the raytrace txt and renamed it and now it looks like yours. No luck after a reboot though.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 9.40.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Sorry. Wrong message.

Let me look into what might be causing yours.

Anymore info Todd?

I  let OzzyofLA remotely have a once over on my comp and he says all is good except it may be Mavericks.

Anyone else getting this warning using Mavericks? Not the free space warning but the 5.0 or higher driver warning when you already have 5.5.28 warning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had your same problem, but I solved it by re-installing again the nvidia driver and the cuda installer.

now I can select the GPU and the "Enable unsupported..." and everything looks normal again.

hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines