• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nav pane displaying empty

Participant ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our testers have just informed me that  the navigation pane appears empty in my latest help project when viewed in IE 8, 9 and Firefox 17.

This is the first time my help has been built into the product since I upgraded to RH10 so I've been assuming it has something to do with that but I can't find any info on this particular issue so I'm not so sure. Nothing else has changed since my last version other than simple content changes.

My window settings are shown below.

I'm hoping this is something really basic. Can anyone help?

help.png

window.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered that I had submitted an earlier version of help since the upgrade and that was fine. So it's definitely nothing to do with the upgrade to RH10.

It may be a dev issue but I want to rule out anything RH-based before I tell them that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be checking to see if your browser security hasn't been changed - you may need to ensure that JavaScript is enabled and add the location of your help files as a "Trusted Location" or on a "Safe" list of places. There's definitely an issue with the latest builds of Chrome busting WebHelp (see this thread - http://forums.adobe.com/message/5741382#5741382).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Authorgirl

In addition to what Jeff mentioned regarding Chrome, I notice your screenshot of the Window Properties definition is actually for Microsoft HTML Help, not WebHelp.

Here is what the WebHelp Window properties dialog looks like:

WebHelpWindowPropertiesToolbar.jpg

Then, to "activate" your navigation panel items, you would be sure to tick off these items in the WebHelp Settings Dialog under Navigation:

WebHelpSettings-Toolbar.jpg

There may be other issues, but I would take a look at these first. Then let us know.

Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John – missed that – d’oh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too (embarrassing)!

@ Jeff: Thanks for browser security thoughts, I'll pass that on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Chrome is now up to version 30, should they be testing in 17?

That said, version 30 is causing a lot of grief that is currently being investigated.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter – I think the OP was talking about Firefox 17 (not Chrome)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. I did mean Firefox so the bit about Chrome  causing issues should be ignored.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is occuring to me with Windows 8.1 -- is that your version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re probably running IE11 – there are issues with IE10 & 11 with enhanced security disabling JavaScript – which WebHelp needs to run properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that was not an issue with IE10 and Windows 8. If it was in your esperience with Windows 8 and IE10, it is exaggerated with Windows 8.1 (RTM) and IE11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it’s certainly messing up my local WebHelp running Win7 and IE10 – I’ve had to apply the “meta http-equiv=…” hack and add the server to my Trusted Sites list (as file://server_name<file:///
server_name>) to get it to display properly with my RH10 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I didn't say there were no issues with other versions (search some of my comments for those buggers); it's just that the blank navigation panes were a new and thoroughly unpleasant surprise for me with the Windows 8.1 upgrade, which included IE11 and which Adobe has had as BETA and RTM for quite a few months.

Seeing as how Adobe still hasn't released a Word 2013-compliant version of RoboHelp after more than a year, I'm beginning to think Adobe is in the process of dumping RH altogether.

They are certainly not supporting it at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a beta tester I can assure you that they’re not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time Blue Sky alpha tester, I'm not certain of that.

I do agree with you that they are not supporting the product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, my reference was your comment “…I'm beginning to think Adobe is in the process of dumping RH altogether.” – if that was the case, then they wouldn’t be working on a new version of TCS right now. No comment on the level of support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp