• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Safari quits-gives plugin error message.

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Mac OS X version 10.4.11 Processor 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 and Safari version 4.1.3.

I do not have an Intel Processor. I do not know anything about or can't find if it's 65bit or ?

Yes, another oldie question.

I was told I needed to update my Flash Player on a site and nothing has been working ever since.

Safari keeps quitting while playing a game or viewing a movie or video online yet I can still view YouTube videos.

I put in the tweaked version plugin I got off YouTube from Steelbin and I thought my problems were solved because it started working. BUT...I removed my older flashplayer plug in without saving it. DUH! I don't even know which one I had or the Flashplayer version. 

Then Safari started quitting on me again.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled from the archived versions and I'm ready to scream! I've kept getting an alias or damaged application. It would have a white circle with a line in it on the application. Some kind of message it was damaged.

I finally got 10.3.183.90 installed and thought everything was okay. NO! My fan will start running which is a precursor to Safari quitting on me; and it does.

My Apple report dialog box that pops up after Safari quits, says 10.4-10.5 plug is everywhere in the report but I don't know what that means. I don't understand the encryption of the report but see 10.4-10.5 plugin everywhere in it.

Get this. I was told by a company I had a trojan virus and paid handsomely to have my OS cleaned. Safari's still crashing so it's not related. But I know I don't have a virus now. I hope.

Can anyone please help me solve this. My hair is already thin so I can't afford to pull any out.

Thank you,

PJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

First, ALL G5s are 64 bit.

Second, Flash Player 10.1.102.64 is the latest version of Flash Plater that will work with a PPC Mac. 10.3.183.90 is for Intel Macs with 10.5

Third, the white circle indicates an incompatible app (Intel app on a PPC or vice-versa).

Fourth, the company that told you you have a virus should be closed up permanently - because THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TROJAN HORSE VIRUS FOR OS X.

Here's what I'd recommend (and please understand, the last time I had a Mac with Tiger was six

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, ALL G5s are 64 bit.

Second, Flash Player 10.1.102.64 is the latest version of Flash Plater that will work with a PPC Mac. 10.3.183.90 is for Intel Macs with 10.5

Third, the white circle indicates an incompatible app (Intel app on a PPC or vice-versa).

Fourth, the company that told you you have a virus should be closed up permanently - because THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TROJAN HORSE VIRUS FOR OS X.

Here's what I'd recommend (and please understand, the last time I had a Mac with Tiger was six years ago, so I may be a little off in my instructions):

Spotlight search "Flash Player.plugin". Search the Mac HD.

Trash EVERYTHING that appears in the results.

Go to: Mac HD/Library/ Application support.

Look for a Macromedia folder. Trash it too, if it's there.

Empty the trash.

Go to: Applications/Utilities.

Open your Disk Utility.

Click your Hard drive (the HD itself, NOT the Mac HD volume)

du.jpg

Repair permissions, by clicking "Repair Disk".

When it finishes, run the Installer I linked to above. (It's the ONLY .dmg in the "10.1.102.64" folder)

Next, reset Safari by clicking Safari>Reset Safari from the menu bar.

Things should (hopefully) work like they used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike. I'll try this. I couldn't edit the above... too late.

I do have 10.1.102.64 installed, or so the site says so.

I wrote down the other and mistakingly put that one in.

BUT... I will do as you've advised to see if any of it helps.

Thank you!

PJ

BTW: I kind of thought Macs were Trojan proofed and this guy caught me at a down time.

I hopefully am talking to him tomorrow.

I can still re-nig on purchasing StellarDriveDefrag but I bought that too.

I'm am such a do-do at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Defragging is a background process that OS X has had enabled since 10.2. Manual defraggers may work, but they are a waste of money. By all means, return it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my... I think I've been scammed. They did it remotely and had access to my whole computer while they were searching for and supposedly cleaning my OS files. Said they were going to defrag but when I look at the System folder, it doesn't look any different.

I did see on the log as they were working that a tracking cookie was found.

Don't know what that means either.

Me thinks I've done a no no letting them into my computer. I AM SUCH A NERD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

About optimization and fragmentation

Disk optimization is a process in which the physical locations of files on a volume are "streamlined." Files and metadata are re-arranged in order to improve data access times and minimize time moving a hard drive's head.

Files can become "fragmented" over time as they are changed and saved and as the volume is filled, with different parts of a single file stored in different locations on a volume. The process of collecting file fragments and putting them "back together" is known as optimization. However, if a failure occurs during optimization, such as power loss, files could become damaged and need to be restored from a backup copy.

Do I need to optimize?

You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X. Here's why:

• Hard disk capacity is generally much greater now than a few years ago. With more free space available, the file system doesn't need to fill up every "nook and cranny." Mac OS Extended formatting (HFS Plus) avoids reusing space from deleted files as much as possible, to avoid prematurely filling small areas of recently-freed space.
  • Mac OS X 10.2 and later includes delayed allocation for Mac OS X Extended-formatted volumes. This allows a number of small allocations to be combined into a single large allocation in one area of the disk.
  • Fragmentation was often caused by continually appending data to existing files, especially with resource forks. With faster hard drives and better caching, as well as the new application packaging format, many applications simply rewrite the entire file each time. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther can also automatically defragment such slow-growing files. This process is sometimes known as "Hot-File-Adaptive-Clustering."
  • Aggressive read-ahead and write-behind caching means that minor fragmentation has less effect on perceived system performance.

For these reasons, there is little benefit to defragmenting.

Note:Mac OS X systems use hundreds of thousands of small files, many of which are rarely accessed. Optimizing them can be a major effort for very little practical gain. There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band" for rapid reads during system startup might be moved during defragmentation, which would decrease performance.

If you think you might need to defragment

Try restarting first. It might help, and it's easy to do.

If your disks are almost full, and you often modify or create large files (such as editing video, but see the Tip below if you use iMovie and Mac OS X 10.3), there's a chance the disks could be fragmented. In this case, you might benefit from defragmentation, which can be performed with some third-party disk utilities. 

Another option is to back up your important files, erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files.

Tip: If you use iMovie with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, and FileVault is enabled, performance issues can occur if your project is located in your encrypted home folder (including the desktop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to ask you if I should install both versions that come with the download or just the 10.1.102.64?

The above is all greek to me. I only have and use Tiger and I couldn't figure out iMovie but did play with it.

My HD GB's free changes every time I start my computer. Right now it says it has 05 GB free, another time it will say 97GB, but in Disk Utility it shows the correct amount free.

I am so frustrated, I feel like chucking this computer but I don't like the new ones and I'd have to buy all the new apps I use. I do mostly photography work on my computer. So much of it is unused.

If I reinstall Mac OS X, I'll loose all the upgrades that came after I installed it won't I?

And I don't know what files I should back up and what not. I did back up all my personal files and photos, etc.

Sorry, you got ahold of a blonde here. Seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the 10.1.102.64

If you do a full reinstall of the OS, you'll lose everything... yes.

I was a bit leery of switching to an Intel Mac too.... until I got one.

I used to burn DVDs with my G5 iMac. It would take a day and a half to burn a two hour movie. My Intel MacBook did it in TWENTY MINUTES!

As far as software goes, EVERYTHING I used to have and use with my G5, I have and use with my new Mac Mini (Intel Core i5). Adobe Creative Suite 5 and 6, as well as Toast Titanium and Office 2011.
The Mini is by far the best computer you can buy. They have the highest resale retention of ANY computer on the market today (98% after three years). Mine was $599 and I got a 16Gb RAM upgrade for $114. I run it with two displays, and this thing smokes my PC laptop for speed.

workstation.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Houston, we have a problem.

Well... I found the "10.4-10.5" flash player apple report has been telling me about but I don't know where or what it is.

I went to empty the trash and got a trash dialog saying it couldn't because:

"Flash Player.rsrc" is in use.

I then clicked on continue to empty, and I got the message it couldn't because:

"Flash Player-10.4-10.5.rsrc" is in use. I've searched it everywhere I can think of so far.

scratchhead.gif What the hey? I give up!

I'm shutting my computer down and will work on this in the morning. My patience is gone and my nerves are fried.

I will wait for a reply and I wish you a good night and thanks for all your help. I will update you tomorrow on any progress. OR... I'll  BludgoningPC.gif

You're swell Mike. I really appreciate your help. Now... let's find 10.4-10.5 plugin and my problems will flash player will be gone.

Me thinks I will be getting another computer. This one has almost been the death of me several, actually many, times.

big grin.gif

PJ

PS: I see Adobe doesn't have "something" so my emoticons will move.

Message was edited by: PJ in CA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a file is "in use" a reboot will almost ALWAYS solve that.

The other option is to Securely empty the trash. (either hold the Shift key when you click "Empty Trash", or do it from the Apple Menu >Securely Empty Trash) Secure emptying removes EVERYTHING in the trash NO MATTER WHAT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheesh. I just didn't wait  long enough. It just sat there forever.

Secure Empty Trash finally took it.

Okay, it's gone, but where is that 10.4 - 10.5. Lets see if it's gone now.

Thanks Mike. And I will be looking into another puter. Soon.

Good night. Sleep well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS3 and I need my Photoshop! Bridge too for raws. A few other things also.

Don't know if a new computer would let me use CS3. Do you.

But first.... I want to find this flash player dog and unleash him from my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 will work with OS 10.8 and 10.9. Basically ANYTHING newer than CS2 will run on an Intel Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

In response to your post #7, this is an old computer. I got in while in College back in 2006-07?

I need to find out, I think, how to reformat my computer without erasing the hard drive and reinstalling OSX.

I have version 4.4.11 and File vault is not enabled.

Right now I just want this one to get me by until I can afford to buy a newer one.

Question: After my computer crashed with Network setup selected, by accident, my start up items was Version Cue.

I thought I corrected it but when I start my computer it says I have files that are configured incorrectly and I have to click disable in the dialog box. I've been using Mac Help to check things out but it is so limited in helping me.

Do you know what should be in start up items folder?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PJ in CA wrote:

I need to find out, I think, how to reformat my computer without erasing the hard drive and reinstalling OSX.

Not possible. "Reformatting" erases the disk (ALL data) entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, excuse my computer illiteracy, but I found 2 other flash player plugins.

One in: Apps/Macromedia Dreamweaver 8, which I've never been able to use. Dreamweaver that is.

Another in Library/Frameworks/Adobe Air.framework/Versions/1.0/Resources

Do I chuck these?

I am not going to do anything until I hear from you. I am too afraid of causing another problem.

I also found in internet plugins: flashplayer.xpt. A 4K doc that text edit reads as:

ƒ ÄëÄë  œ ÄëÄ   ⁄ Äí Ä  ÄIsPlayingPlayStopPlayTotalFramesCurrentFrameGotoFrameRewindBackForward

PanPercentLoadedFrameLoadedFlashVersionZoomSetZoomRectLoadMovieTGotoFrameTGotoLabel

TCurrentFrameTCurrentLabelTPlayTStopPlaySetVariableGetVariableTSetPropertyTGetPropertyT

GetPropertyAsNumberTCallLabelTCallFrameSetWindow

Do I chuck this also?

I'm such a nerd, but not a computer one. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trash EVERYTHING. When you reinstall, the plugins will be replaced EVERYWHERE they're needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean to trash the whole Macromedia folder (above) or just the flash plugin within the folder?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find the pluign in the folder... just trash the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2013 Nov 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... let me summarize what I saw/see.

I put the FP zip on my DT and clicked it. It then downloaded FP app. and a dmg.

I clicked the dmg and it downloaded the installer. I clicked on it and it installed.

Then I put the app. in with my apps.

My concern or question now is...

The app and dmg say 10.1.02.64 but the dmg in internet plugins says 10_1r_102_64_ub_mac.dmg

Is that correct?

It also put a FP.plugin TextEdit doc in there and a fp.xpt TextEdit doc.

If this is all correct, I am set to go. Well, where places to let it play their stuff.

I still have a mess from the crash and trying to figure out what went where. It's a REAL mess with days of time to sort them back where they are supposed to be. I am finding OSX stuff in the OS9 System. ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2013 Nov 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like everything is correct.

I'm at a loss as to what would move system files between 10 and 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines