Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shockwave flash object add-on slowing down Internet Explorer

Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Greetings for the day.

Have you guys ever heard that the Shockwave flash object add-on is slowing down IE? I noticed this happens in all IE versions and it doesn't matter which OS you are using. I am a technician myself and I work for AT&T Connectech and experienced this issue on different computers a hundred times at least. With the shockwave add-on enabled, IE will take more than 5-10 minutes just to load Google website or it will not at all. The cursor will just keep spinning. If we go to add-ons and disable Shockwave Flash Object, everything will load as it is supposed to.
However, if we disable shockwave add-on, the user will no longer be able to play any online videos or do anything that required flash player. I have tried reinstalling Adobe Flash Player with its different versions and none helped. Sometimes, downgrading the Internet Explorer would correct the problem. In most instances it too failed.

If you guys have any information on this and how to resolve it, please mail me.

Thanks and regards
Jins Joseph

E-mail address:
[removed]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum; please do not post your email address!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce that; all pages load instantly (Internet Explorer 11 with Flash Player 11.9.900.117 on Windows 7).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What puzzles me about this is that Google.com ISN'T a Flash page so the plugin shouldn't even be called. I have no idea why it would slow down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it's anything running and using heavy CPU?  Can you check with the Task Manager's Processes tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat and Mike, thank you for your responses. This issue look strange to me as well! No, there are no processes taking much space. In most cases, the CPU usage will be less than 15-20%. In few instances, I noticed svhost is taking more space. Still, IE could not load any websites. I mentioned that Google thing since even if Google doesn't require flash, it still takes for ever to load with the flash addon enabled.

I started to notice this almost an year ago. What we would do is either disable shockwave addon and educate the user about the same and install another browser for backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried turning off ActiveX filtering?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Mike. I haven't tried that yet. When I come across this problem again, will try that and let you know if that works. However, I don't know if this will help since the problem exists with all websites that doesn't even want to call Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Today, I experienced this exact same issue. ActiveX filtering was off and still, shockwave addon slowing down IE from loading pages. Tried different sites like Yahoo, Google, att.yahoo.com youtube etc and none loaded. Once shockwave addon is disabled, it will take a second or two to load all websites. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines