• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsolicited Program Download

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a legitimate reason for Adobe to download and install software programs on my computer that I did not ask for or authorize that have nothing to do with the Adobe program being installed?
Specifically, I received an update notice from Adobe for Flash.  I proceeded to install per their instructions the new version.  At no time was I asked, nor did I authorize them, to download an internet security software program (McAfee).  I already have two internet software security programs, I don't need McAfee, and I don't like the McAfee product.  This is the second time Adobe snuck in another company's program with an "update".  It really annoys me.  Yes, I know how to uninstall the program I didn't want.  I just don't understand why Adobe thinks I want them to do this for/to me.  Especially without asking me first.  Very rude.  And, they have no consumer feedback where I can tell their company how I feel about this --- I feel like they are shoving it at me, like it or not.  Their way or the highway.  Not cool.  Not cool at all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Adobe Flash Player's EULA:

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/flashplayer_10_1_eula.html

When you agree to update automatically, you agree to "accept" the software:

“Software” means (a) all of the contents of the files (delivered electronically or on physical media), or disk(s) or other media with which this agreement is provided, which may include Adobe or third party computer information or software, including Adobe Reader® (“Adobe Reader”), Adobe AIR® (“Adobe AIR”), and Adobe Flash® Player (collectively, Adobe AIR and Flash Player are the “Adobe Runtimes”); (ii) related explanatory written materials or files (“Documentation”); and (iii) fonts; and (b) upgrades, modified versions, updates, additions, and copies of the foregoing, provided to you by Adobe at any time (collectively, “Updates”).

I agree that the "automatic updates" should have an "opt out" for third party apps, but you have the option to disable automatic updates and use the "offline installers" instead:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Those are only the plugin and nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I find it digusting that companies "sneak" stuff not related to

their products into the agreement. Even JAVA gives the user an "opt out"

for non-Java software before installing. I wonder how much Adobe gets paid

for this?

Thank you for the offline installers tips...I will use it in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines