Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Broken links not do not display in the Broken Links folder RH10

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have 2 separate projects and they are both having the same issue....

In the Project Manager > Broken Links folder no broken links display, but when I check in the HTML FIles (Topics) and Images folder I see broken links.  Any ideas why this could be happening?

Some where very obvious.  It was an image on one of my very important pages.

Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Broken Links folder only shows links to topics that are broken. If you have image links broken these will more than likely show in the Images folder inside the same pod. Are there any red X's through the image icons? The other possible reason is that someone has manually moved, renamed or deleted an image outside of RH. If this happens, RH knows nothing about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now understand that images don't showup, thanks, but that doesn't explain the Topics that were in the TOC.  Any guesses?  Because they should definitely have displayed in the "Broken" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You hadn't mentioned the TOC before. Are there red X's against the topics in the TOC as well. If so, this could be the same cause as the images. RH has a TOC reference to a file at the point it was added. If that topic has been changed outside of RH, the TOC will not be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files had a red x in the HTML Topics folder and in the TOC.  Maybe the topic didn't have any links to it so that's why it didn't show up in the Broken Links folder. I don't have time to test that right now...     One thing I have found usually fixes things is to close the project, go to windows explorer and delete the .CPD file and restart the project.  I did that and haven't had any problems since...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this same problem.  I had to manually check every link and fix about 8 problems.  The 'broken links' folder did not indicate any links were broken while this project was being worked on. In the past this 'broken links' indicator was always very reliable. This is a new problem in RH10 (running on Windows 7).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nice to jave confimation that I'm not the only one to have this problem.  It happen several times and now it's been behaving for the last 2 days. I noticed that one folder that had broken links was a .fpj problem.  Why is the .fpj file listed as an unused file in the Unused Files Report?  It definitely shouldn't be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the inclusion of *.fpj files in the 'Unused Files Report' but had always ignored it as just another RoboHelp "quirk."  But the failure of broken links to be reported in the 'Broken Links Folder' is a big problem, as in past releases this Folder always provided accurate indications of broken links.  Now I must manually check every link in a project, even if my update only affected a small number of topics. This means our writers will have to spend a great deal more time on each update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, have you ever ran the Missing Topics or Broken Links report?  I haven't tried this yet but I wonder if the problem files would print in either of those reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That gave me an idea, I have Dreamweaver CS5, I added the project and I did a site wide broken link check (Ctrl+F8). It was finished in  seconds. .  I imagine other older versions have this functionality and probably other website builder software has this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp