• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installation of Flash Player 11.9 under OSX fails with case-sensitive filesystem!?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installation  of flash player 11.9 aborts with an unspecified error. I running OSX 10.9 with an case-sensitive filesystem. Can anyone confirm there are problems with the installer on case-sensitive filesystems?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mini isn't case sensitive, so I can't really say but I had two iMacs when I worked at Intuit that were case sensitive and they had all kinds of software installation issues. One of the Mac developers at Mountain View told me that Case Sesnitive shouldn't be chosen as a format except when a system is isolated and used as a testing server. For a workstation or home computer, it's a terrible choice for a setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem isn't the filesystem per se. It's bad software quality if pathnames defined wrong or multiple times with different notation. Often there is only one or two letters with the wrong upper or lower case. I guess in the current Flash installer this is the case. With the previous versions I had no problems.

Am 03.11.2013 um 00:41 schrieb Mike M <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Re: Installation of Flash Player 11.9 under OSX fails with case-sensitive filesystem!?

created by Mike M in Installing Flash Player - View the full discussion

My Mini isn't case sensitive, so I can't really say but I had two iMacs when I worked at Intuit that were case sensitive and they had all kinds of software installation issues. One of the Mac developers at Mountain View told me that Case Sesnitive shouldn't be chosen as a format except when a system is isolated and used as a testing server. For a workstation or home computer, it's a terrible choice for a setup.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5809947#5809947

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Installing Flash Player at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the problem as well and I'am also using a case sensitive filesystem.

Using a legacy non case sensitive filesystem because of lazy and/or incompetent programmers isn't really an option for me. Also I think it speaks a lot about quality control in general. As this is a clear regression from previous version I have to assume that the not caring is a recent thing or that they have gotten it accidentally right before.

I just noticed that the log seems to claim:

Nov 12 20:17:30 iKirsikka.local _securityagent[36603]: Flash Player Install: Installing Flash Player to /

Nov 12 20:17:31 iKirsikka.local _securityagent[36604]: Flash Player Install: Performing downgrade prevention check...

Nov 12 20:17:38 iKirsikka.local _securityagent[36632]: Flash Player Install: Error: Downgrade detected. Attempting to install  when  is installed on system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, yes, I can confirm the problem and found out the reason: The installation tries to access /usr/libexec/Plistbuddy but the correct spelling is /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy. You can execute the following commands in a terminal to solve the problem and successfully complete the installation:

cd /usr/libexec
sudo ln -s PlistBuddy Plistbuddy

Just created a bug report for this problem (#3669617).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines