• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash is present, install CD say NYET!! Won't run ....

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older laptop that is still in good running order. In fact I just did a factory restore with the OEM disks just to clean it up and get it running proper again.  I went to install an older HP PDA on it with ActiveSync. The CD says cannot run and gives the link to adobe flash download. I've checked and I have the latest Adobe Flash and even on the Flash test pages the animations run just great. Why is this installation CD refusing to run because it sees no Adobe Flash?

THanks so much for any help!  Jack  ":-D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This occurs with some older applications. The code has a "version check" and it's based on a single digit checksum. Thus, Flash Player 10 or 11 is "misread" as "1" and is NOT recognized as current or higher than what was current at the time the software was written.
I ran into this with a local police scanner website when Flash Player 10 was released. Website Flash content uses the same kind of checksum, and the site read Flash Player 10 as "1" and constantly redirected me to this site to download and older version as "the latest".

You can try uninstalling what you have and download Flash Player 9.0.280.

Install it, and then install the software... THEN update to 11 again.

That's worked in some cases, but I can't guarantee it will for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that and thanks! I will report back as to the results Mike M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find 3 exe files present.

~ win.exe , ~ winax.exe and ~ win_sa.exe

I have just run the first above and it doesn't appear to be doing much at all?????

keep having problems, either failed to install ... I'll post more back when there's more to report ?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a mess. I gave up for now. I've had pc's since 1987 and been on the web since 1996 and I've never had as much problems as lately. Most of the times I could work my way through and around and at one time all 3 of my pc's I could keep running lean and clean. Now they all have issues. Even the newer HP Windows 8 on the Chrome browser has been hijacked by Yahoo. I have tried every suggestion on the web and every device I ever knew or tried or worked and can't get rid of this, Now I can't even get a simple Adobe file to install. Frustrating to the max!  ":~!

Thanks for you help! jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"win.exe" is the Standard plugin (for Firefox, Opera and Safari) - it works independently of the AcitveX plugin
"winax.exe" is the ActiveX plugin for Internet Explorer - It works independently of the standard plugin

"win_sa.exe" is the "standalone" Flash Player Projector - it's an app, not a plugin, and it works outside of (and without) any browser)

Chrome has yet another Flash Player Plugin, called "PepperFlash", which works independently of all the others

I'm pretty certain that what's causing this is the sofware checking for a version up to "9" or higher but not beginning with a "1".

In Chrome, if you type "chrome://settings/" in your address bar, you can click "Manage search engines", and 'unselect' Yahoo as your default search engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any problems installing Adobe Flash of the newer versions. It's getting the old enough version to run on the 2006 XP machine so this CD install disk asking for Flash will run.  It doesn't seem to recognize that the newer flashes are there. Therefore, I can't run the install disk for the installation of this older device.  The 9.0.280 zip when it unzips and gives these 3 program will unzip okay seemingly. But when I click on them they seem to do little to nothing. The one just opens a blank container with a typical File Menu and a blank container?

The Chrome thing, thanks. There is little you could say that I haven't done. I'm very familar with Settings. I've removed Yahoo as a Search default, as an extras search option. I've removed it from opening a 2nd tab and page. I've un-installed and re-installed Chrome, even a different version of Chrome Educational or some such. It will just re-install itself. I'm sure they've hidden something in the registry. I don't even think searching the registry for Yahoo would find it. I can't believe all the searching I've done and seen this same complaint that Chrome won't come out and give us a fix. I am going to stop using Chrome because I hate Yahoo more now with a passion. Before I was neutral, now I'm so disgusted they've taken on hijacking my browser with somethine I don't want or they won't give a way to fix. I admit in a hurry I probably accepted it with a download, but that should be reversable, not eternal.

Thanks!

":~\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Windows version?

I think you need to install both plugin and ActiveX to be sure that the HP applications recognizes it.

If you still get installation errors, please post the contents of the FlashInstall.log file from C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat, will do later and thanks to both of you that have given suggestions above.  ":~\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines