Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop bundling MCafee in Flash updater!

Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got notified that I should update flash player. Downloaded this from  adobe.com. And now, without my knowledge I got McAfee software.

So far I considered Adobe a decent and serious company with great products. My trust in Adobe is heavily damaged due to this stupid software bundling thing. It seems to be a kind of disease spreading around universally: installers infected with unwanted items.

Please Adobe, be smart, and don't get involved in this supidity.

Thanks,

J.W.

PS: please make an appointment to send by an IT technician who will de-install McAffee from my computer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User not liking McAfee wrote:

PS: please make an appointment to send by an IT technician who will de-install McAffee from my computer.

Good luck with that.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Those links are the FULL installers with nothing bundled.

Bookmark them.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/713/a7138026.html

That explains how to diasble automatic updates so you won't get any McAffee installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User not liking McAfee wrote:

Please Adobe, be smart, and don't get involved in this supidity.

This is a user forum; you are not addressing Adobe here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum; you are not addressing Adobe here.

I'm aware of that, but...

1. If one tries get into contact with Adobe through their website, you are pretty directly pushed in the direction of this forum
  2. As this forum is operated by Adobe, I expect that every once or then an Adobe guy will have a look about what is going on in their forum.

So, I hope that my discontent with this Mcaffee bundling will eventually lead to Adobe giving up such practices.

They must choose between a bit of extra cash from McAfee or satisfied customers...

Do you know how to communicate with Adobe directly, outside of this forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I hope that my discontent with this Mcaffee bundling will eventually lead to Adobe giving up such practices.

Me? I wouldn't hold my breath. During a test in july I witnessed, screenshot, and reported one such "blind install" during an update. That was a fully illustrated, very comprehensive report which detailed step by step what happened, and it was forwarded to one of the very few employees who happen to frequent these forums... four months ago. If it was ANYONE'S intent to end the practice, I'd think it would have happened by now. That obviously isn't the case or you wouldn't be posting here in November.

They must choose between a bit of extra cash from McAfee or satisfied customers...
It's NOT a "bit of extra cash" by any means. Adobe Flash Player is downloaded MILLIONS OF TIMES each week worldwide in a few dozen  languages. Even at ten cents a download (on a per click basis - whether the end user opts out or not), that translates into MILLION of dollars every year to offest the bandwidth and site maintenenance to distribute Flash Player, Flash Player ActiveX, Shockwave, AIR and Reader AT NO COST to the public. I don't know how much McAffee, Norton or Google pay "per click" and I'm pretty sure anyone who DOES know can't and won't disclose it here, but ti's FAR from a "bit of extra cash". Bear in mind, that Flash Player has three different versions (ActiveX, Standard and Mac - with a limited few Linux downloads too) and then there's Shockwave and Reader which at least doubles the number of downloads. Also, for every customer who posts a grievance here about bundled software (from what I've seen) there are at least 200-300 who DON'T, so there are PLENTY MORE "satisfied customers" than dissatisfied - at least over this issue in particular.

Do you know how to communicate with Adobe directly, outside of this forum?
Adobe DOES have a customer service number, but (and this is a big but)... it's for technical and billing support ONLY. I'll post the number, but be forewarned. It's $39.00 (US) prepaid, and if you call the support line with a "gripe" only, odds are they'll  disconnect you so they can help someone with a technical support problem and they WILL keep your $39.

Adobe Flash Player Support

Mon-Fri 6am-7pm (PST)

1 (800) 833-6687

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Mike, for your reply!

Thanks for the phone number, but I really don't like "support", but I would rather like to give my "feedback" or would like to get a "dialog". What communication channel does Adobe provide for Feedback or Dialog?

Further, I doubt that the majority of the users consent the silent install of software that they did not ask for. That they don't raise their voice does not necessarily mean that they agree and are happy. It is not uncommon that the masses keep quiet, even if they are not agreeing.

In the IT era probably many of the users (let's say 60 to 90%)  just simply do not understand what happens in such cases and do not understand why their computer is getting so terribly slow, if they have different "security programs" running at the same time, using CPU/Memory resources and constantly running before each other's feet.

I would say: nothing has ever changed because people kept quiet, but only by raising your voice you might (perhaps) be able to change something for the better. Therefore, "worker of all counties, unite!" and leave your message of discontent here!

PS: can anyone tell, if there are alternative Flash player plugins? Or does Adobe have a monopoly regarding Flash?

PS 2: I see McAfee is owned by Intel. Possibly the silent install is a trick of Intel to raise its revenue: Infecting as many computers with unwanted, possibly useless software, to make them slow. The computer owner will think: okay, my old beast is getting a bit slow, I need to buy a new computer. Big Ca$h for Intel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines