27 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 1:58 PM by Les Cornwell

LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?

bozo$

3 days ago I followed the advice of Barbara Brundage from Elements Magazine and deleted some files from Elements Organizer which were causing people problems. I had previously used organizer for my pictures but LR adopted the jobe about a month ago. Today I upgraded LR from 5.2 to 5.3 and then began editing pictures. When I tried to delete a picture a message came up to the effect that the file could not be permanently deleted from the disk since it could not be found. It offered the possibility of erasing the file permanently still. I chose that and the picture disappeared  and a small box flashed by which said that the file could not be found. The number of files in the folder didn't change.

How do I reconnect to the picture files which are in a stand alone hard drive - And - will the editing I did today be lost of subsequently be connected to the appropriate picture files/

Thanks for your help

David

• 1. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
          dj_paige Level 9

Reconnecting can be done via: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Having two "Organizers", one in Lightroom, and one in PSE, containing the same photos, will continue to cause headaches, and in my opiinion is not a good idea. The best solution is to use Lightroom as your "organizer" and PSE as an additional editor.

• 2. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
            bozo$ Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I read the darkroom instructions but my situation doesn’t seem to match the solution.

When I moved from Elements to LR about a month ago I imported the folders from Elements to LR along with the path. All went  well until yesterday.

Now when I select a picture and press Delete, I get  a box which says

Delete Permanently?

1 of these files (its name and address are listed) could not be moved to the Trash.

The files are on a Volume that does not support Trash. Would you like to Permanently delete them?

Cancel or permanently delete.

the box in the histogram shows “original picture”. There are not re question marks or exclamation points. The box at the top of the list of folders is green which shows it is connected to the source drive.

I did, based on the recommendation from BB delete the following files.

For PSE 11, it would be:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 Paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 Settings

Have you any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks for your help.

David

• 3. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem you are having is caused by using two different programs to manage your images. You indicated that you deleted certain files in the Elements Organizer, and apparently those files are now missing in Lightroom. When you import images into Lightroom, you are not moving or creating a different copy from what you were using in Photoshop Elements. The import process simply shows Lightroom where those images are located on your hard drive. Since you deleted images in the Elements Organizer, the files are missing from the disk but Lightroom is not aware they have been deleted. So that is why you are getting the message and having problems. If you insist on using both programs it would be better to delete the unwanted images in Lightroom. Doing so will delete the files from the disk and remove them from the Lightroom catalog. And they will also be deleted in Photoshop Elements.

• 4. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                bozo$ Level 1

Somehow I was unclear. The files I deleted from Elements were NOT picture files but some aspects of the  application which it is believed, conflict with the new Mavericks.

I used Elements until Organizer drove me crazy and then switched to LR at which time I imported the Elements folders into LR along with the path used to find the folders.Subsequently I have had no problems until yesterday. I don’t know if I can delete Organizer without causing further difficulty. I use Elements as an occasional editor for things LR doesn’t do so I would like to keep it and since it is accepted as an alternate editor by LR I assume that is OK.

I have ONLY deleted images in LR since I got it and NO images have been deleted during that time in Elements. This anomaly occurs now in LR in ALL folders with all pictures. I can load and see all my pics and I can edit. I just can’t delete and the current changes are not made to the pictures in the hard drive file.

Any other suggestions? This is becoming more than a little stressful.

David

• 5. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                  bozo$ Level 1

I just looked at Organizer. Pictures I have “permanently deleted from disk” in LR are still alive and well in Organizer. As expected editing done in LR does not show up in Organizer. Do you know if deleting organizer would cause problems since the files were originally there before the move. If problems would not occur can I successfully remove  the  files have eliminated in LR subsequently .

Probably too many questions but thanks.

David

• 6. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I don't know what is the problem with deleting photos, however ... you say you get the following error message ...

The files are on a Volume that does not support Trash. Would you like to Permanently delete them?

Perhaps you cold tell us what kind of drive it is, and how it is attached to the computer. I think that would be a relevant piece of information.

and the current changes are not made to the pictures in the hard drive file.

Lightroom does not make changes to the pictures in the hard drive file. It does not work that way. The image portion of your photos are never changed by Lightroom, and if you view the photos outside of Lightroom (and outside of other Adobe software), they will appear to be un-edited.

By request, by setting the proper option or issuing the proper command, you can have the edits you made written as text to xmp (which unless you have RAW files) is embedded in the actual photo file.

With regard to deleting the Organizer from Photoshop Elements, you can (safely) delete the Organizer's catalog file. But if you're not using the catalog file, it isn't causing any of your problems that you are now experiencing in Lightroom.

• 7. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                      bozo$ Level 1

The drive is a Seagate Free Agent Goflex Desk 2T connected via firewire to my iMac. I have not had any of these problems in the last month with LR nor have I problems with other things stored on the drive which is about half full.

David

• 8. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                        bozo$ Level 1

I just noticed that you said in the last sentence that the files deleted in LR would also be deleted in Elements. Not the case. Files I deleted weeks ago in LR remain in Organizer. I returned there today to see what was happening and i have not used it since the day after I returned from a big trip. At that point Organizer seemed to be  losing  files so I changed immediately to LR which I had bought just before I left on the trip.

David

• 9. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                          bozo$ Level 1

I tried this all again and deleted a file I didn’t want from the same catalog I’d been working on. Same messages. The file seems to have disappeared from the hard drive.

I haven’t tried flagging a bunch of files and then deleting them since I had already heavily edited these pics to remove obvious duds.

It remains a mystery as to why I’m getting a different response to the delete key and conflicting.

The deleted file did not go into the Trash.

David

• 10. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                            dj_paige Level 9

Not the case. Files I deleted weeks ago in LR remain in Organizer.

Your files were never stored in the PSE Organizer. Similarly, your files are never stored in Lightroom.

What you are seeing in Elements is that Elements still displays a thumbnail of your file, but it will not be able to find the photo (because it is deleted), so Elements can no longer perform any actions on this photo. There should be a question mark icon on the photo in Organizer.

But ... as we have already said ... you shouldn't be using Organizer any more.

Regarding deleting files, can you delete a file from this drive using your operating system? If not, what is the error message?

• 11. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like the files referenced in Organizer that are accessable are at a different physical volume location than the one referenced in LR. Look at the volume or drive names in Organizer and LR and see if they are different.

• 12. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                bozo$ Level 1

Ok. I think I understand all of that - BUT - I don’t understand what happened to the simple delete followed by the question “Delete from disk?” and then it was or in the case of a batch,  they were, gone. The new process is more clumsy and gives the appearance of being  the product of an error or some kind of arbitrary change.

I could I guess go to the file on the hard drive and hunt thru to find, hopefully correctly, the file I’ve just rejected but that doesn’t seem to be a reasonable fix since it adds time and complexity. It does work but for large edits such as after a recent 5  week trip to China, Tibet, Bhutan, Nepal and India, it would add to an already very big job. It is possible to note the number of the pic and then search down but I don’t think the developers of LR intended this. Is there something I might have done to cause it or is this a fix they would have to make??

Thanks for your patience and assistance - so far.

David

• 13. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?

Others here have explained that your image files are not "inside" Lightroom, they are merely "mapped" (i.e. referenced) in the Catlog file and then that folder structure is displayed in the Library module. LR also creates  its own  "Preview" images" and stores them in the Previews folder. If you move or delete image files from outside of LR using Finder or Orgaizer the images are still visible inside LR, but now they will have a '?' (LR4) or '!' (LR5) symbol on them in the Library module and the message 'The file could not be found' in the Develop module.

You keep mentioning that you can't "delete" image files from inside LR, "Files I deleted weeks ago in LR remain in Organizer." You also said, "When I tried to delete a picture a message came up to the effect that the file could not be permanently deleted from the disk since it could not be found."

This indicates that LR's Library module "reference map" no longer see's the files and so they are consider "Missing Files." Changing the top-level 'Pictures' folder "name" or moving it under a new top-level folder on your external Seagate Free Agent Goflex drive will cause this to happen if done outside LR using Finder or Organizer.

When this happens if you try to "edit" the images in LR's Develop module the message 'The file could not be found' will appear in the Loupe preview. In all of your posts you've never mentioned any issues trying to edit the files inside LR. What happens when you try to make adjustments to one of the images that you can't "delete?"

• 14. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                    bozo$ Level 1

thank you for your reply.

I do understand that the pictures reside in a library and that what I see in LR is the picture with whatever repairs have been added. Those repairs don’t necessarily reside with the picture.

I understand that if  I move files outside LR that they will be invisible to LR in which case they should have a  red ! beside them. No such red , or any colour symbols appear. I have not  moved any file, files or folders using Organizer or by simply re-locating them on the drive such as by dragging and dropping to a new location. Nor have I changed any file names.

I thought that ONE of the responses I had in the forum said that when I deleted the file from the disk that it would be deleted in Organizer. The author really said, I believe, that the file would be deleted from the source drive but would continue to appear in Organizer in which case a marker would show that the picture was no longer available.

I am editing files which LR sees since the green switch is on. The edits alter the pictures and so I assume that when I “export" them, they will carry the  alterations to the new location.

The problem  remains that when I try to Delete a picture file in LR, instead of the box I used to get which gave me the choice to delete it from the disk and then did that when I selected that choice, I NOW get the message I reported previously "The files are on a Volume that does not support Trash. Would you like to Permanently delete them?”   I select “Permanently delete”, the box closes and another flashes on and off. It says “File could not be found”.

The file Does disappear from the film role beneath my editing screen in LR so perhaps all is well. My problem  is that there was a  change in the process of deleting from simpler to more complex (slower) and confusing since LR can’t seem to find the file it is deleting at this point.

So, is there a way to return to the out of the box process which was clear and quick? Did I do something or might I have done something which caused LR to arbitrarily change its ways?

I reiterate that there are no signs that LR can’t see the files nor have I changed any file names or positions.

Thanks for your help.

David

• 15. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                      bozo$ Level 1

One last wee bit of info. The deleted pics since all this began do not wind up in the trash as previously deleted pics did.

Thanks

• 16. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?

bozo$ wrote:

The problem  remains that when I try to Delete a picture file in LR, instead of the box I used to get which gave me the choice to delete it from the disk and then did that when I selected that choice, I NOW get the message I reported previously "The files are on a Volume that does not support Trash. Would you like to Permanently delete them?”   I select “Permanently delete”, the box closes and another flashes on and off. It says “File could not be found”.

I did a search on the above message and pulled up a this post with the same LR issue after upgrading from Snow Leopard to OS X to Lion.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3818807#3818807

"You might need to make sure the external drive is set to ignore permissions. This sets special ACLs for removeable media. Every release of OS X tweaks these a little."

Message was edited by: trshaner Corrected URL

• 17. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                          bozo$ Level 1

I did just upgrade from OSX lion to the new version - mountain lion I think. Subsequently a bunch of upgrades arrived including Mavericks.

• 18. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?

This is most likley the root-cause of your LR issues. There are "fixes" listed in the post link I provided.

• 19. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                              bozo$ Level 1

Thanks again. I’ll try them tomorrow.

David

• 20. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                                bozo$ Level 1

Thanks. The crazy concept of creating a folder on the EHD and then deleting it seems to work. I can’t imagine why but I would think Adobe might be able to and prevent unlucky souls like me from having several days of frustration and worry.

David

• 21. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?

David, could you please provide specific details on what you did that resolved the issue with your external hard drive's Trash Bin. This will help others who have the same problem and find this post.

Thank You,

Todd

• 22. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                                    bozo$ Level 1

What finally worked. I have now used the fix  for a couple of days and it seems to stay intact. What a relief!

I went to the forum noted  below and then chose to try #37 mathewlewis.

It worked.

David

37. mathewlewis,

Dec 17, 2011 6:23 PM   in reply to Isopoda

So the bug continues in LR3.6. However, I have an easier  procedure to temporarily eleviate the issue.

Simple.

Boot your mac.

Open the EHD.

Create a New Folder on the EHD (Shift-Command-N).

Delete the folder that you just created (Command-Delete).

Launch Lightroom.

Problem is gone until next reboot.

This leeds me to believe that it is an OSX and EHD problem. You can do something  before launching the effected program and it resolves the issue.

In Google searching, I found other 3rd party programs (non-Adobe) having the same unresolved issue.

• 23. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                                      Les Cornwell

Tried this today, and indeed it works. Unfortunately, the effect is gone upon reboot, and as I shut down my entire system every night...

• 24. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                                        bozo$ Level 1

I’m not having that problem. So far, I shut down every night and all is well in the morning. if you find a more understandable and for you more permanent solution I’m interested.

David

• 25. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                                          Les Cornwell Level 1

Apparently, the error message (Permanently delete) does not return upon rebooting the system. It does, however, upon emptying the trash. So we might assume that as long as the newly created and deleted folder remains in the Trash...

• 26. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                                            bozo$ Level 1

So,  the key then is to clean out the trash except the trash that works as a marker for us. I’ll pay attention to that.

• 27. Re: LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?
                                                              Les Cornwell Level 1

If that can be done; I admit, I sometimes let the deleted items accumulate in my Trash, but every once in a while I will delete what's in it. That then includes stuff both deleted from the internal and from the external disk. But if the stuff from the external disk is deleted, well... there we go again.