Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image strip in Windows Server 2008

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have set a custom image strip for a CHM produced with RoboHelp 8.

It seems that in Windows Server 2008 Operating system, such strip is ignored.

Can anybody help me?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check on Peter Grainge’s site (grainge.org), but I thought you had to do some fiddling to get a CHM to work properly on a server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - That's to get any CHM to even open.

Marta - What do you mean by "strip image" - conjures up various thoughts!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

What is meant is that one may specify different icons to use in the TOC of a CHM file by creating an "icon strip" and supplying it with the CHM file. At runtime, the strip is read into the CHM and the strip icons are used instead of the icons inside the CHM.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I send you the strip I'm using and the images of the incorrect and of the correct layout of my CHM.

Maybe I'm simply distributing the strip.bmp and the Help.chm in a wrong way.

strip.pngInvalid CHM.png

Correct CHM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The $10,000 question here is this. Are you able to open the CHM file on a local PC with the strip in place and see the icons you want? Assuming you are, then I'd agree there is something amiss with the way this is implemented with the server software.

How exactly is the CHM file being opened? Is it opening by seeking help from inside an application? If so, try just double-clicking the CHM and opening it outside the application. Do the icons appear then? If so, it indicates that the application opening the CHM file is doing some monkey business with pathing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick

My CHM is intended to be opened from inside an application, either installed on the server and installed in client PC.

The problem doesn't occur in 'old' machines with Windows 2003 or XP.

In Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 there is no way to see the correct layout of my CHM: I tried both from inside the application and clicking the chm file directly.

In the setup of my application the CHM file and the strip file are installed in the same folder: maybe that is the problem...

Thaks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I think what needs to be clarified is exactly how the CHM file is being used.

Keep in mind that it may well be that the CHM file is intended to be supplied for local functions on the server. And if so, no rules are being violated, as it is within the local operating system of the server and isn't really being "served" to other users.

In that environment, it's like any CHM used on any other PC.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick - LOL – in my world: CHMs = alien stuff – I had no idea what the OP was talking about, but “server” & “CHM” tweaked my memory of “= trouble”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp