• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable GPU features / GPU Sniffer through install?

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

New to Adobe and this community, apologizes in advance if placed in the wrong forum.

I am looking to deploy Photoshop CS6 in an enterprise environment. We have a number of clients which meet the requirements of the program, but do not have the video memory to utilize the graphics accelerated features. I've been asked to research disabling the GPU features (or the GPU sniffer) at the install process to avoid the user experience of the pop up. Is there a customization tool or have any users found a work around for this scenario? I have read the sticky here, and also came across a user submitted solution here which I thought might work but is not an option in our environment.

Challenge: GPU Sniffer pops up notice of disabled features when first run with new user on clients that do not meet GPU acceleration specs.

Goal: Avoid/remove pop up, either by customization of installation, of modification of preferences post install from centralized management.

Again, many thanks for taking a look and any feedback you can provide!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that I can't help you with your specific goal, but I'm curious...

You're putting hundreds of dollars of new software in but are unwilling to add an under $50 video card that can accelerate Photoshop operations?  Are the machines just not capable of adding a video card?

Seriously, Photoshop works a LOT better with GPU acceleration.  

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel, thanks so much for the reply! Our pricing is somewhat reduced as a k-12 institution but I understand the spirit of your cusriosity. In short, the answer is the latter. The software is being deployed in a virtual environment using a VDI platform that can provide the requisites for the program, but not the GPU requirements for acceleration. We would rather have the limited functionality than none at all. Even limited, Photoshop is such a wonderful product!

(Our Graphics department, they don't use VDI and utilize the full and glorious features included with GPU acceleration. We do not stop them. We encourage them. We love the GPU acceleration!)

Our VDI users, however...

As stewards of their user experience, we would hate for them to be concerned with the limited features of their install, and instead be able to focus on the advantages of having a product still full of wonderful and exciting and promising photoshoppical experiences. I hope this answers your curiosity! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer.  I understand completely.

I apologize if I seemed forward for asking.  I have perhaps an oversensitivity, as I once was at the mercy of a corporate IT department that was staffed by, shall we say, technically-challenged folks who made - without fail - penny-wise and pound-foolish decisions.  I ended up cutting my engineering department off from them completely, and after outfitting my group with Really Great workstations 20 software engineers began putting out the work of 40.  It's amazing what an investment in one's employees can net.

Something did actually dawn on me that could possibly be helpful...  When I set up test systems here (I use virtual machines for a lot of testing), I have been successful in developing an initial set of Photoshop parameters, then just copying all the files and subfolders in the following folder.  Voila, Photoshop comes up with the same setup as the source system.

C:\Users\NoelC\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC\Adobe Photoshop CC Settings

Perhaps you could develop Photoshop settings that could then be copied to the target environments before Photoshop is run.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We did install a number of APEX cards into our hosts to improve graphics performance and provide more options to empower our users, but the solution turned out ot be more of a process offload and not a true GPU solution. We've had improved graphics performance, but mixed results for programs that really need to crunch (like design software). We're continuing to test!

Yes! This was user RedHelix2011's solution from this thread. I attempted to deploy this folder through a logon script in testing but the prompt still came up even after the preferences were set. I ran out of time before I could verify that this was set up the way it should be though. It's possible I missed a preference option or just made some other mistake. I'll double check this in the morning and report back on the success/failure. Wanted to post just in case there is a more supported accepted method.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines