• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index search returns duplicate entries

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2006 Aug 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double-click on an index entry in the compiled .chm to open it, the Topics Found window opens with 2 duplicate entries -- even though the topics are only entered in the index once. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2006 Sep 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy--

Use the Windows Explorer to check and see if you have extra files in your project folders. These files will start with the letters "rlt" and are created by the system whenever you edit a file that is flagged as read only. If you remove the rlt files, the double-entries will go away. WARNING! If your content files are still marked read only, the rlt file may be the latest version. Check that before you delete anything.

--Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 02, 2006 Sep 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill

First off, I'm pleased Cindy's issue was resolved. However, what you explained as the reason doesn't seem to match my understanding of RoboHelp. So naturally I have questions.

You said:
These files will start with the letters "rlt" and are created by the system whenever you edit a file that is flagged as read only.

Now I've always understood that these little beasties only get created when you preview a topic. I do know that it's not uncommon to find them lurking about among your true project files. I've always assumed that something happened that caused RoboHelp not to be able to clean up after itself, leaving these orphan files behind. I've also always advised students that these files are totally safe to blow away, as they are simply temporary files created and used during the process of previewing.

So I performed a little test. I used a small test project and flagged one of my topic files as read only. I then tried to edit the file. It opened just dandy in the WYSIWYG editor. But when I tried to edit, I received a message advising the file was read only and asking if I really intended to edit. After saying yes, the read only flag was removed and the edit happened just fine. During this whole process, I monitored the folder location and never saw the rlt file appear.

I then tested my preview theory. I previewed the topic and flipped over to Windows Explorer and sure enough, there was my little additional rlt file.

Now here's the kicker. I was trying to duplicate what Cindy reported. But regardless of how I try to induce it, I'm not able to. Because RoboHelp normally removes the rlt file after you close the preview, I sneaked behind RoboHelp's back and flagged the rlt as read only. This way RoboHelp couldn't delete it and clean up. I then closed the preview. Compiled and tested and no duplicate Index entries. I also examined the compiled .CHM for the existence of any file beginning with rlt. Again, nothing.

Needless to say, I'm more than a bit confused at this point.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2007 Apr 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do we know why there are duplicate index entries and the best way to resolve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is pretty much as RoboWizard's in that it is preview that creates the RLT files. Sometimes they don't get cleaned up but I haven't seen that cause problems myself. However, if Bill's fix worked for him and Cindy, that seems to be the solution.

Why is another matter.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue:

When viewing a chm file and using the index, there is only one entry (as it should be). When viewing the chm file from the master chm, there are duplicate index entries (even for those chms that ony have one entry when viewed directly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2006 Sep 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That fixed it. Thanks, Bill!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to search right now but I believe there are posts covering the scenario you now describe.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting that rlt file solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem, but with the Search results. Duplicate topics appear in a merged CHM, but not in the individual CHM when I test that separately. The other weirdness is when I view the Index entries to topics that are no longer part of the merged CHM...and I can open those topics that are, again, no longer part of the merged CHM. This one definitely needs a RoboWizard. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frustrating. I know this has been posted but I cannot find the thread. The things I have found suggest checking the HHP file for a duplicated section and generating the output to a completely new location.

See if those ideas help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree w/ Peter. In the years I've been using RoboHelp, I have often run into inexplicable problems that are solved by deleting the .xpj/.mpj file, then regenerating from the .hhp to a completely new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2007 Apr 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. Before following your advice, I copied the CHMs to another folder and opened them from there. The duplicate Search results are gone, and the Index entries that should not be there are no longer there. So that seemed to "fix" the problem. Do you think that it is a caching issue, where topics that are no longer supposed to be there are appearing because of caching? Thanks again! Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It's possible, navitaire, since my experience has shown that often deleting the cache solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp