• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink word with bookmark not converted in HTML

Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use RH10 to create an HTML help from several Word documents.

I have a problem with Word hyperlink that is not converted in the HTML output. In my RH10 project, i have 2 link word document. I created with Word an hyperlink with bookmark in a document called docA.docx on another Word document called docB.docx. The docB.docx document contains the bookmark called by the docA.docx document. The hyperlink property in Word is "docB.docx#myBookmark".

This hyperlink works fine with Word, when i clic on the link in the docA.docx the docB.docs document is open by Word.

Problem appears when i update the word document in RH10 to generate HTML document. The HTML hyperlink token href="" is generated so there is no hyperlink on the HTML output.

When i remove the bookmark in the Word document the HTML hyperlink token href="docB.docx" is generated. So i don't know if it's a RH10 bug or if this feature is not supported by RH10.

For information, i used hyperlink with bookmark because cross-reference is not allowed with multiple document.

Regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot have links in Rh between two linked Word documents. Links within a single document are OK but that's it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that links between two linked Word document can't be generated in the HTML output.

But i think there a bug because when i have an hyperlink in the Word document without any bookmark, the href tag is set with the value included in the Word document (for instance <a href="c:\docA.docx" >doc</a>). If i put a bookmark in the hyperlink included in the Word document the href tag generated by RH must be  <a href="c:\docA.docx#MyBookmark" >doc</a> and not an empty href tag like RH10 do.

If i replace in the hyperlink included in Word document the "#" character by any other character the href tag is generated with the good value. It means that RH use a special process when there is a "#" character in a hyperlink.

If this bug does not appears in RH i could use a script in RH to rename href tag with value ".docx" by ".html".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the hyperlink linking to if not a bookmark?

In Word, how are you seeing the path of the link? The dialog I am seeing shows me a list of bookmarks and using that I create a link. There are no path details.

In Rh, that gets converted as below and works as it should.

<p><a href="#paul">peter</a></p>

<p><a name="paul" id="paul"></a>paul</p>

I am not clear on what probllem you are having.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your example show a conversion of a cross-reference in Word.

I'm talking about classic hyperlink in Word.

Clic on hyperlink

SelectHyperlink.jpg

Select an another Word file containing a bookmark

SelectFile.png

Clic on the "Bookmark" button in english version of Word ("Signet..." in my french version) and select the bookmark

selectBookmark.png

When you clic on "OK" button the hyperlink path is updated with the bookmark

hyperlinkWithBookmark.png

And this path link is not converted in the HTML generated by RH. If i change the "#" by another character the generation is ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had covered the point that links between documents will not work so I thought we were only talking about in document links.

wordlink.png

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood that links between documents will not work.

I writted a RH script to modify the href tag by rename ".docx" by ".html". This RH script wil be run after the HTML generation.

But i have a href tag with an empty value so my script doesn't work.

Do you confirm this bug ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating links as shown in my screenshot, as shown in post 3, I did not get an empty href. Also I would not need to run a script as the link is correct in Rh.

I go back to asking how when you create a link in the same document you are seeing a path. Do you perhaps mean that you expect those links to work and that links to other documents will not work in Rh but will have a path in them?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm ok with your screenshot because in your case you are creating a cross-reference into the same document.

In my screenshot i select another Word document called DocSignet.docx (that contains a bookmark) from the document docA.docx.

RH is not able to convert link between document but it would be able to convert the hyperlink with the right href tag value. In my sample in the docA.htm file generated by RH the href tag value must be "c:\DocSignet.docx#MonSignet" and not an empty value.

If i changed the hyperlink path in Word and i change the "#" character by any other character the href tag value is set with the right value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp