• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

General Error Message When Installing Flash Player on Mac

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new MacBook Pro.  I have OS 10.8.2.   I cannot get FlashPlayer to download.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash Player 11 from the Adobe website.  Doesn't work.  Every time I try to download, I get an error message that says "Error: General Installation Error"   Can someone PLEASE help?  I've spent hours with this and am very frustrated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.  Which browser are you using when this occurs?  Is the browser running, if so does the same error occur if it's closed?

Could you please launch your Console application (Applications/Utilities/Console), verify that "All Messages" is selected in the left column, then in the upper right corner type "flash".  Please copy and paste the lines of text that appear in the main log area.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I am running Safari, and I have tried it with

the browser closed and open, and same result. Here's the string:

1/29/13 9:14:23.111 AM coreservicesd[72]: Application App:"Install

Adobe Flash Player" @ 0x0x7ffa02372980 tried to be

brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontASNs ( (

ASN:0x0-0x4fc4fc:) ), so denying.

1/29/13 9:14:23.111 AM WindowServer[98]: Failed setting

the front application to Install Adobe Flash Player, psn 0x0-0x4fb4fb,

securitySessionID=0x186f3, err=-13066

1/29/13 9:16:36.000 AM kernel[0]: HFS: Vol: Flash Player Very Low Disk:

freeblks: 0, dangerlimit: 84

1/29/13 9:17:17.590 AM sudo[6366]: Aaron : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ;

USER=Aaron ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/open

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/aih/?exitcode=255&type=install

1/29/13 9:31:50.494 AM coreservicesd[72]: Application App:"Install

Adobe Flash Player" @ 0x0x7ffa0141e3c0 tried to be

ASN:0x0-0x518518:) ), so denying.

1/29/13 9:31:50.494 AM WindowServer[98]: Failed setting

the front application to Install Adobe Flash Player, psn 0x0-0x517517,

1/29/13 9:33:52.000 AM kernel[0]: HFS: Vol: Flash Player Very Low Disk:

1/29/13 9:35:32.014 AM sudo[6521]: Aaron : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ;

1/29/13 9:44:32.000 AM kernel[0]: HFS: Vol: Flash Player Very Low Disk:

freeblks: 0, dangerlimit: 3

1/29/13 9:46:55.473 AM coreservicesd[72]: Application App:"Adobe Flash

Player Install Manager" @ 0x0x7ffa01418520 tried to be

ASN:0x0-0x545545:) ), so denying.

1/29/13 9:46:55.474 AM WindowServer[98]: Failed setting

the front application to Adobe Flash Player Install Manager, psn

0x0-0x543543, securitySessionID=0x186f3, err=-13066

1/29/13 9:46:55.784 AM authexec[6588]: executing /Library/Application

Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager/fpsaud

1/29/13 10:37:02.258 AM coreservicesd[72]: Application App:"Install

Adobe Flash Player" @ 0x0x7ffa02123b30 tried to be

ASN:0x0-0x57d57d:) ), so denying.

1/29/13 10:37:02.258 AM WindowServer[98]: Failed setting

the front application to Install Adobe Flash Player, psn 0x0-0x57c57c,

1/29/13 10:39:02.000 AM kernel[0]: HFS: Vol: Flash Player Very Low

Disk: freeblks: 0, dangerlimit: 84

1/29/13 10:39:27.431 AM sudo[6839]: Aaron : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ;

1/29/13 2:54:59.429 PM coreservicesd[72]: Application App:"Adobe Flash

Player Install Manager" @ 0x0x7ffa01418520 tried to be

ASN:0x0-0x597597:) ), so denying.

1/29/13 2:54:59.429 PM WindowServer[98]: Failed setting

the front application to Adobe Flash Player Install Manager, psn

0x0-0x594594, securitySessionID=0x186f3, err=-13066

1/29/13 2:54:59.740 PM authexec[6892]: executing /Library/Application

Support/Adobe/Flash Player Install Manager/fpsaud

1/29/13 3:04:55.770 PM coreservicesd[72]: Application App:"Install

Adobe Flash Player" @ 0x0x7ffa014417d0 tried to be

ASN:0x0-0x5b65b6:) ), so denying.

1/29/13 3:04:55.770 PM WindowServer[98]: Failed setting

the front application to Install Adobe Flash Player, psn 0x0-0x5b45b4,

1/29/13 3:06:56.000 PM kernel[0]: HFS: Vol: Flash Player Very Low Disk:

I look forward to your response.

Hilary

In a message dated 1/29/2013 6:27:35 P.M. Central Standard Time,

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Re: General Error Message When Installing Flash Player on Mac

created by Chris Campbell (http://forums.adobe.com/people/chris.campbell)

in Installing Flash Player - View the full discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/5032761#5032761)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are actively investigating all Mac installation issues that have recently started appearing.  To help narrow down the problem(s), we ask that user's please generate a few installation logs for us.  The steps below should walk you through the steps.  If you are uncomfortable running these commands and would like to schedule a quick desktop sharing session, please contact me directly at ccampbel@adobe.com.

1. Mount the Flash Player installer .dmg file
  2. Copy the "Install Adobe Flash Player" file to desktop or any other directory as preferred
  3. Open terminal and cd to desktop or the other directory
  4. Run the following command on terminal: ./Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player –debug
  5. Once the install has finished, right click on the the Adobe Flash Player.app file and select "Show Package Contents"
  6. Navigate into the /Contents/MacOS folder
  7. Locate the host.developer.log and installer.developer.log and copy them to the desktop
  8. Navigate into ~/Library/Logs/ and locate the file FlashPlayerInstallManager.log.  Copy this to the desktop.
  9. Zip up all 3 files (host.developer.log, installer.developer.log and FlashPlayerInstallManager.log) and email them to ccampbel@adobe.com

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bit too sophisticated for me. Let's do desktop sharing. Let me know when. I'll be on the computer the next couple hours and available.

Hilary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hilary,

I'm available now if that works.  Please shoot an email to ccampbel@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I also have a user with the same specs and issue. I'm not sure the terminal command succeeded successfully, but I'm sending you an email to follow up with a screenshot. Looking forward to your assistance.

Best,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

Sent you email.  Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the following command on terminal  : “ ./Install Adobe Flash Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install Flash Player –debug“

The default terminal shell willl not run the above command line.  The shell still sees the spaces between directory and file names.  I had to cd down to the where the install file was, rename the install file, and then run the program there.

To help people troubleshoot or debug failing installs, I would suggest Adobe substitute "_" (under bar) (or some other non-special character) for spaces in all directory paths and files it creates and uses.

From looking at the -debug output, I found that install program was failing because of:

a) it assumed there was already existing directory

b) existing file could not be written to

c) a problem with another program opening to many threads resulting in -10800 error

To further help people troubleshoot or debug failing installs, I would suggest:

a) failing output line written back to terminal's command-line be written to one of the log files.

b) add an option at the start of Install program to turn on debugging (-debug), and tell the user where the log files can be found

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@astirusty - Thank you for pointing out the issue with the escaped spaces in the file name.  I've updated my instructions but you are correct that it would be easier if we had an easier way to generate debug information.  I'll pass this along to the installer team.  Would you mind sending me a copy of the logs that you created?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris:

> Would you mind sending me a copy of the logs that you created?

I deleted the logs after getting Flash Player to install. I will check the Trash Can to see if the logs are still recoverable.

For me the logs were not helpful, whereas the error message generated from running the Installer from command-line of Terminal was.

Asti

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:16:31 -0800

To: astirusty@hotmail.com

Subject: General Error Message When Installing Flash Player on Mac

Re: General Error Message When Installing Flash Player on Mac

created by Chris Campbell in Installing Flash Player - View the full discussion

@astirusty - Thank you for pointing out the issue with the escaped spaces in the file name. I've updated my instructions but you are correct that it would be easier if we had an easier way to generate debug information. I'll pass this along to the installer team. Would you mind sending me a copy of the logs that you created? Thanks,Chris

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5041679#5041679

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Installing Flash Player by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH ADOBE.  VERY POOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT.  I have a new Macbook Pro with latest Mountain Lion 10.8.2.  I get a general installation error when it has 55% downloaded.  Since I have only had this mac a week, I called apple support, they checked a few settings and had me try again while on the phone with them.  Same download error message.  They said call Adobe.

In talking with Adobe they wanted to remotely access my machine because they said mountain lion frequently had something they needed to change and for that there would be a fee anywhere from $99 - $149.  WHAT??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RanchinParadise - No need to pay a fee, we can help you get Flash Player installed.  First I've got a few questions.  What browser are you using to download the Flash Player installer with?  Safari?  Would you be willing to generate and send me some debug logs so we can figure out what's going on here?  Please see this post for instructions:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5034805#5034805

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I am using Safari. I will look in the link attached but I am 66 years old and not very computer literate.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, starting in step 3 of your response on the attached thread, it gets over my head. I dont know what terminal, cd means.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand.  If you are interested, please email ccampbel@adobe.com and we can setup a quick desktop sharing session and I'll get Flash installed for you.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im using a Mac OS X and have a trouble with the name and password needed while installing adobe flash to my mac. I installed the adobe flash installer ,once i click it > install adobe flash player > open > i need to enter my name and password. Even after typing in my email and password i signed up from adobe. Its always wrong and even after i change my password multiple times its still wrong 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The password required is your OS X administrator password. It has NOTHING to do with Adobe.com or any email account anywhere.

You CANNOT install anything on a Mac unless you're a system administrator and provide the administrator password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris....I'm one more stranded professional unable to work.  A senior Apple tech pointed me here.

I'm running OS 10.8.5, Apple removed the previous flash player and we can't install v12.

Stuck and in need of what you're already doing graciously.  The walk through install.

Thanks, Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

Are you also seeing this?

GIE.jpg

Specifically, a "General Installation Error"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike, that's correct, I'm getting that too.  I haven't read this entire thread so maybe you know the following already.  An Apple tech tried every which way to work through the problem after telling me that Apple pulled the plug on a version of Flash which caused this mess.  He said there was a security reason for doing it and that Adobe was notified.  He also said Adobe created a FIX yesterday which was supposed to auto load to our computers.  That was all last night according to him.  THEN he gave up and pointed me to this thread.  He said if this doesn't prove okay, I'd need to reinstall my OS which is 10.8.5. 

Anyway, I noticed in this thread that Chris Campbell (with Adobe)is trying to help and at one point suggested downloading what I think is a previous version.  I'm about to try that.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIke, I just tried the fix Chris thought might work...Flash version 11.  No-go.  That wouldn't install either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news:  You DON'T need to reinstall your OS, but.... If you upgrade to OS 10.9, it'll solve the problem. A lot of people are leery of Mavericks, but I've had it since the morning it was released, and I haven't had anything other than a minor annoyance with Finder looking for files to open in some (not all) apps.

And I would not go back to that "Apple tech" because he has no clue what the real problem is. "and it ain't Flash Player"....

Back in October, you installed the 10.8.5 update just like I did. And just like me, you suddenly saw the mach_kernel file in your Mac HD directory. But... unlike me, you weren't taught by the Mac guys at Intuit what it is, and you no doubt trashed it. THAT is the root of all your ills right about now. mach_kernel, is a base file for OS X. Without it, you can't install a lot of stuff and you can't update a lot of stuff.

So... what to do?

Like I memtiioned, upgrading will install a new one and you;re good to go, if you choose to go that route.

If not, and you have a Time Machine, I posted instructions here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1318151

If you DON'T have a time machine with a backup from before October 14, 2013, then you'll need "Plan B".

Post back and let me know your situation, and I'll let you know what we can do to get you back in one piece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's a fairly complex reply.   I do have Time Machine of course, and it goes back to before then so I'll read your post about it.  I'm a photographer and videographer so this stuff is critical to me.  Anyway, that's awhile ago but frankly, although I'm sure I did the 10.8.5 update, I doubt seriously that I trashed the "mach_kernel" since frankly, I'm not familiar with it so why would I? 

I have thought to switch up to Mavericks BUT, between my kid and my own experience with upgrades, I haven't wanted to fix what ain't broke.  Usually I jump on upgrades but there's some evidence I might have bigger headaches with Photoshop and Final Cut, which are my bread and butter. 

I'll check out your post about TM now.  Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt seriously that I trashed the "mach_kernel" since frankly, I'm not familiar with it so why would I?

Actually, that's the reason most people (and there were hundreds of thousands) gave for trashing it. They had no idea what it was. It was a big stupid mistake on Apple's part to unhide it. At least it's not "unfixable"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines