• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I keep getting a message to update and download a new version of Adobe Flash Player I also received

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting a message to downlod an updated version of Adobe Flash Player.  I also received a notice to change my password because of phishing problems.  I changed my password but should I download the different Flash Player or is that phishing also?

Message was edited by: Nana Noland

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find the ADDRESS box at the top left corner of your browser ( where http://forums.adobe.com appears ). On the far right side of the ADDRESS box is a clockwise circular arrow that will REFRESH your current web page. Immediately to the left of the REFRESH arrow is a small circle with a diagonal line thru it ( the universal symbol for negation as in the traffic sign NO LEFT TURN ). Left click on the small circle and then click on the TURN OFF ACTIVE X FILTERING button that appears in the drop down box.

Flash Player is probably already properly installed on your computer. Internet Explorer ( your browser ) just blocks certain TYPES of content as potentially harmful and when it does, ABC.com ( for example ) thinks you don't have Flash Player installed and offers a way for you to install it. You don not want to turn off Active X filtering using the tools menu because that will make you vulnerable to malicious applets that the filter was constructed to protect against.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sagebrush,

While your help is appreciated, if you read the original post, there is NO indication at all that Internet Explorer is even being used. Since Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera DON'T USE ActiveX controls, you're quite possibly trying to fix something that isn't even the problem.

Setp #1 in effective troubleshooting is triage. Determine the situation before offering a solution, and then offer the correct solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the advice Mike. I am so excited to have discovered the solution to my flash player problem, that I made the mistake of generalizing my solution to all flash player difficulties.

Though it's a long time since I was a boy, the old saying     GIVE A BOY A HAMMER AND EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE A NAIL     seems to apply.

For many months, I have been periodically prompted that I needed to have flash player installed to play view a video. I knew that F P was there. It was very frustrating. The possibility of saving others that continuing frustration clouded my perceptions. Call it overenthusiasm.

Thanks again for helping me to reign it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nana,

Welcome to the Adobe Forums.  The "phishing" notice is legitimate. See: http://www.adobe.com/go/customer_alert for more details.

To better assist you with the Flash Player issue we need to know:

What is your operating system? (Windows or Mac) (XP, Vista, 7, 8)

What browser do you use? (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines