• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I see the TOC when I "View Item"

Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know this is simple, but I am a total Robo newb.

I have created the TOC and pages and then linked those pages to the TOC.

When I click "View Item", all I see is the page without any TOC.

What preview option should I use that will show me the TOC along with the pages that are linked to it?

Thanks!

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got it...

"WebHelp Pro >> View With"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

First off, the preview will only show you a preview of an individual topic. If you wish to see it within the context of the system as a whole, you will need to generate in order to see it.

Secondly, I noticed you said you chose WebHelp Pro. Are you publishing to RoboHelp Server? If not, you need to forget about WebHelp Pro as that output is intended for use with RoboHelp Server.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I don't know what we are publishing to yet.  I think we are going to design our FAQ with Robo and then place that HTML on one of our web pages.  Is that possible and which view option is best for this purpose?

Frankly, I prefer the look of the WebHelp view because the Multiscreen HTML 5 view has strange colors.  I don't see any color or skin options for Multiscreen.  How can I change colors in Multiscreen HTML 5?

I have a few test projects open for testing purposes.  For one project, under "Single Source Layouts", when I right click Multiscreen HTML 5, it shows a "View with Browser" option, but when I do the same thing on another project, I do NOT see "View with Browser" option under Multiscreen HTML 5.   Why is this happening?

Lastly, when I view view the project the first book is always open by default.  How can I make all books closed by default when viewing?

Thanks!  I appreciate you!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Wow... lots of questions! I'll do the best I can to respond to these.

I don't know what we are publishing to yet.  I think we are going to design our FAQ with Robo and then place that HTML on one of our web pages.  Is that possible and which view option is best for this purpose?

Certainly a FAQ is possible. However, that would sound more like a single page. RoboHelp can certainly create a single page that you could copy and splice into a larger web site, but I'm not sure why one would want to do that. Tools like RoboHelp come into their own when creating a large body of information that needs to be organized using a Table of Contents and information easily found via an Index and by searching.

Unfortunately I'm unclear on what is meant by asking which view option is best. Perhaps you aren't 100% sure about why folks use RoboHelp and what it does. Apologies in advance if you knew any of this, but here goes.

You use RoboHelp to combine many ingredients (HTML Topic pages, Images, etc) into a "dish" that is served to users. That "dish" may be in the form of a system known as WebHelp, FlashHelp, Microsoft HTML Help, Multiscreen HTML 5 or other. What you create depends on what your audience needs or wants. If most are using iPads or Android tablets, you likely want Multiscreen HTML 5. If most are using Desktop or Laptop PCs, you may want WebHelp. But again, if all you are wanting is a single HTML page that presents a list of FAQs, RoboHelp is definitely overkill.

Frankly, I prefer the look of the WebHelp view because the Multiscreen HTML 5 view has strange colors.  I don't see any color or skin options for Multiscreen.  How can I change colors in Multiscreen HTML 5?

Well, that one is a bit tricksy not only to answer, but to pull off once you know how! To begin making changes to the Multiscreen HTML 5 layout, you need to click View > Pods > Project Set-up. Then expand the Screen Layouts folder. Then expand the layout of interest. You should see a layout for the Table of Contents, the Index, the Glossary, etc. Right-click and choose Edit. And that's where the REAL fun begins. (cough)

Bottom line is that this area is most definitely NOT for the faint of heart or for folks unfamiliar with CSS and whatnot. In other words, editing is a wee bit on the daunting side. I'm so so hoping that it will be easier in the next version!

I have a few test projects open for testing purposes.  For one project, under "Single Source Layouts", when I right click Multiscreen HTML 5, it shows a "View with Browser" option, but when I do the same thing on another project, I do NOT see "View with Browser" option under Multiscreen HTML 5.   Why is this happening?

Well, it's unfortunately difficult to say what may be going on without seeing the projects first hand. As I indicated earlier, Multiscreen HTML 5 is the new kid on the block and as such, is a bit convoluted. For example, let's say you managed to sort all the colors and icons and whatnot for one layout. Before you generate your output, you must now ensure you edit the properties of the Multiscreen HTML 5 layout and map the layouts to the profiles. So possibly this bit is missing. I'm not sure.

Lastly, when I view view the project the first book is always open by default.  How can I make all books closed by default when viewing?

In any given project, there is a topic that is known as your Default Topic. It's quite simply the first topic presented to the user when the help system is opened. Typically, topics presented in the Topic pane also synchronize to the Table of Contents. So if your Default Topic is inside a book of the TOC, POOF! The book will be expanded showing where the matching topic is. One way to ensure the books are closed is to nominate a topic that isn't in the TOC structure as the Default Topic. You do this by manipulating the properties of the Single Source Layout.

Hopefully that was both understandable and helpful... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick!  I will check out these suggestions.  I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp