• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to avoid fraud when using ADOBE

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I start here with a big thank you to Adobe for making my life so much better and brighter.  Recently I was duped.  In trying to find answers to questions about Microsoft Word I went to a site that as addressed Microsoft but in retrospect it was not.  Unfortunately I did not note that address as at the time I summed it up to a "bad" learning experience.

Today that "bad" experience is still bothering me.  Let me relate what happened.  They promised to fix my system and proceeded to download pcboooster, then spent more than an hour hard selling me to buy that,  they gave me a download of "Evernote" although my Gateway came loaded with Evernote.  I was unable to disconnect from them after they had permission to remotely 'fix" my issue.  When I complained about this they chatted to me that I would get what I wanted.

What I got was a variety of toolbars, and numerous deceptive advertisement.  I lost my home page and was redirected to Bing.  I only Google.  This was more than two months ago.  I finally cleared off all the downloads they gave me.  I contacted Mcaffe for help and was satisfied.  but they have not gone away.

I frequently receive a pop-up at the lower right hand side of my screen.  This pop up looks "officially" Microsoft but yet does does show up in my Microsoft alert flag.  It urges me to update "Evernote" or other things.  for the last few days it has urged me to update my Adobe Flash player Active X 11.9.900.152.  Curious as to what was up with this people I clicked on and thankfully Mcaffee advised me "Potentially Unwanted Program".  I think I have a "Trojan" loaded with mosquitos.  And because Adobe gives me so much I am disgusted they would use the Adobe product Name in such a manner.

These people are file.org.  They call out "Trusted Software App's". They call themselves  "Comodo" a nick name I heard the founder of Wiki Leaks likes to use.  He is the "Dragon in a Red Cape".  These folks are a pain for I could not stop the download by clicking cancel and had to turn off my Wifi. 

Since this all started my "mouse" seems to have a mind of it's own now and again.  I believe I am remotely "screen shot".  And now when using Google Chrome Search I am redirected to Yahoo Search. Ugh-Right!

So some lessons are hard learned.  Take it from me and when needing Adobe, when needing the auspices of Microsoft make sure you use a "real" web site offering you services.  Because it seems I got more than I wanted

Thanks Adobe!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ugh... File.org... 
I'll use restraint to keep this post "safe for public reading".

Suffice it to say that File.org is equivalent to what comes out of the southern end of a north facing horse.

It's a tough one to fully remove, and as you stated, it leaves one with a sense of "what not to do" when updating software.

There are too many "unscrupulous" websites out there for Adobe or any software company to ever keep up with, and new ones pop up every day. "Caveat emptor" as they say. Your best protection doesn't come from Norton, or McAfee, or AVG , or Kapsersky... it comes from right between your ears. If you don't recognize it, don't trust it... and if you don't trust it, stay away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines