• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Unable to Download' error

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2013 Nov 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am receiving an 'Unable to Download' error (E_ADAPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED) opening a downloaded book on my first edition Nook. Am running V2.0 on a Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 24, 2013 Nov 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the book is not genuinely expired (if a loan).

Double-check the time and timezone settings on both the computer and the Nook.

If neither of those works, try the older but more reliable ADE1.7.2.

~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Some people have found ADE trying to upgrade automatically. 

It appears (not 100% sure) that if you install ADE2.0 as a new install (not as an upgrade) that your 1.7.2 will continue to run.

Probably best to say no if 2.0.x installation asks if you want to migrate your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. I found that I can open a type '.epub' file with ADE but not a type '.acsm' file. I'm trying to download books from my local library to my first edition Nook and the library only offers the following download types: Kindle Book, Overdrive Read, Epub Book, PDF Book, Open Epub Book, Open PDF Book, Overdrive MP3 Audiobook, Disney Online Book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE is  silly with opening .acsm files.

You can open them by drag-dropping from explorer or from command line (eg by associating .acsm with ADE),

but not using the standard open command.

Associating .acsm with ADE is usually the easiest once set up, but can be problems, see ~~~ below

The .epub book is what you want, the .acsm is a step on the way towards getting the .epub.

The .acsm is a sort of token file allowing download, and the .epub is the real book (encrypted for DRM books).

~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes the registration of ADE to Windows as the default hander for .acsm and .epub files does not work;

that is what causes the double-click in Explorer to fail;

especially in Windows 8/8.1, and maybe 7;

this appears to be a bug in Windows (for once not a bug in ADE).

Two possible ways round it.

First, try to force it in Explorer

Right-click on a .epub file (and repeat entire sequence for .acsm if necessary)

Select 'open with' if on the list, 'open' if not.

Select 'choose default program'

Select ADE if it is on the list,

If not select 'more options' and navigate to the ADE executable (may be at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe)

Now .epub/.acsm files should be associated with ADE, and double-clicking should work.

Sometimes, Windows allows you to go through all that, but then refuses to make the association you have asked for.

In that case, the only way I know is to use a third partly file association program.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Types.shtml works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have a Mac and am using Safari. Are the steps the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the 'right-click' trick and associated the '.acsm' file with ADE but still got the message 'ERROR GETTING LICENSE. LICENSE SERVER COMMUNICATION PROBLEM. E_ADAPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I hadn't noticed you had said Mac on your first post, so the possible Windows bug was a bit of a red herring.

Just to clarify: is the problem

1. getting the book onto ADE/Mac; you can't open the .acsm file even on the Mac
  2. you can't copy .epub file from ADE to Nook
  3. you get the .epub file to the Nook, but can't read it there.

~~~~~~~~~~~

One possible reason is a bug in ADE 2.0/2.0.1 that means it won't work with library books on certain devices; in my case a Sony PRS-350.

The ADE2/Sony combination works on other books, and ADE2 can read library books when the Sony isn't plugged in,

but plug the Sony in and you can't transfer library books to the Sony, or even read them on ADE.

The solution to that (and to many other problems people have had on this forum) is to replace the junk called ADE2.0/2.0.1 with v1.7.2

~~~~~~~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Some people have found ADE trying to upgrade automatically. 

It appears (not 100% sure) that if you install ADE2.0 as a new install (not as an upgrade) that your 1.7.2 will continue to run.

Probably best to say no if 2.0.x installation asks if you want to migrate your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have a good understanding of my problem:

I can't open the .acsm file on either the Mac or the

Nook (I get the 'error getting license, server communication problem' message)

I can copy an .epub file from ADE to the Nook

I can get the .epub file to the Nook and can read it there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is a 'pure' ADE or Adobe DRM infrastructure issue, and does not appear to be related to the Nook itself.

Did you try the suggestions I made near the top yet?

• Make sure the book is not genuinely expired (if a loan).
  • Double-check the time and timezone settings on both the computer and the Nook.
  • If neither of those works, try the older but more reliable ADE1.7.2.

If none of those helps I can't think of anything else right now, even with all the extra information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By playing with time zone settings on my Mac I was able to read a .acsm file located on my Nook, using ADE and my Mac. The downloaded file does not display in my Nook library. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you

1. downloading the .acsm token file from the library,
  2. opening it on ADE on the Mac (thus downloading a DRM .epub file that contains the excyrpted book)
  3. transferring it to the Nook from within ADE?  (that will copy the .epub file, not the original .acsm)?

That is normally the suggested route. 

If it doesn't work, it may be worth using ADE to get the .epub file, then copying the .epub file to the Nook using Mac Finder instead of ADE.

Have you checked time zones etc on the Nook as well?

Have you authorized the Nook from ADE?

To make double sure, it could be worth de-authorizing it (cmd-shift-E to ADE while Nook plugged into the Mac) and re-authorizing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made some progress using the three steps that you suggested. I can open the .ASCM book I downloaded from the Mac/ADE to the Nook, as well as previously downloaded B&N books, using ADE. I open the book by opening the Nook device, going to the appropriate directory, and clicking on the file number (all the books are listed by file numbers, no titles). But when I disconnect the Nook form the Mac only B&N books are shown by title, not the one I downloaded.

I don't know how to check time and time zones on the (original edition) Nook.

I did authorize the Nook from ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I'm going to answer by questions/comments so I am more clear exactly what is happening ...

You never read a .acsm book directly. 

The .acsm file is just a token allowing download of a DRM encrypted .epub file.

That open of the .acsm and download of the .epub is typically performed by ADE on PC/Mac,

but can sometimes be done directly on a device.

It is the .epub file that is the real eBook.

Once the .acsm file has been used to enable the download it does not have any real value,

though it can be used to repeat the download of the .epub.

The same Adobe ID must be in use for the second download as was active for the first download.

As far a I am aware, ADE always transfers the .epub to the device, never the .acsm file.

~~~

When you say

I open the book by opening the Nook device, going to the appropriate directory, and clicking on the file number (all the books are listed by file numbers, not titles).

do you mean you open the book on the Mac reading from the Nook file system,

or do you mean you open the book on the Nook while it is still connected to the Mac?

Similarly

But when I disconnect the Nook form the Mac only B&N books are shown by title, not the one I downloaded.

is this on the Nook that only B&N books are shown? Or on the Mac now that the Nook is disconnected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines