• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The users can access WEbhelp that is generated and saved by opening the index.htm file. When I save

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User can access WEbhelp generated by accessing index.htm. How does user access Microsoft help generated by robohelp? I do not  see htm file and cannot find answer in the manual?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Typically Microsoft HTML Help results in a file with a .CHM file extension. The user may double-click this file or it may open as a result of being connected to a software application.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If user double clicks on .CHM file and this user does not have robohelp, How will it open( explorer, IE, etc..)?

For example, webhelp opens in IE..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much all copies of Microsoft Windows already have the HTML Help Viewer installed. You would be very hard pressed to find a copy that does not have this application.

The HTML Help Viewer is what is used to present a .CHM file.

This means that if you produce this type of help, it will need to be copied to each user's PC in order for them to view it. Whereas with WebHelp, a single copy exists on a server and all users view the same files.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That was a helpfull answer. It brings up another question... I have generated webhelp, webhelp pro and microsoft help within the same project. I can perform a search in the microsoft help but the webhelp and webhelp pro do not bring up anything in the search when I hit the go button. There are many keywords listed in the index. What could be the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp Pro and FlashHelp Pro are outputs that are intended to be used with another product called RoboHelp Server. You purchase RoboHelp Server, then install it on your web server and publish the "Pro" outputs to the RoboHelp Server.

Note that basic WebHelp will also work on a Web Server. The RoboHelp Server simply provides another layer that gives you some additional reporting and management capabilities.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean that the search function does not work for web help unless we use robohelp server?

It will only work with microsoft help and then we have to load files on every system and this means we cannot centralize the location of the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Search should work in WebHelp wihout any need for RoboHelp Server. Not sure about Pro.

There could be different reasons for search not working. I don't believe I saw you post in this thread what verison of RoboHelp you are using. Older versions may find Search breaking on newer browsers. This is why it's a good thing to keep updated with RoboHelp. The updated versions know how to deal with newer browsers that may not have existed at the time an older version of RoboHelp was used to create WebHelp.

Another factor is observed when you run the WebHelp files locally. When running locally, you are subject to security restrictions and that can impact behaviors of certain aspects until you relax security in the browser you are using.

Sorry, don't have a pat answer on this because it can be many factors at play here.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp