• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 Webhelp and IE11

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH10 to generate Webhelp output. This has worked fine for users running firefox, chrome and IE10 in an intranet environment. (RH10 has been updated with the IE10 fixes and the chrome fix - whproxy.js file). However, With the release of IE11 users have immediately reported that there are problems with the RH10 Webhelp output. I cannot provide specifics as yet but thought it worth posting so that other users have a "heads up" on potential problems caused by IE11, and hopefully RH techies can start to pinpoint problems and look at providing potential fixes.

Will try to identify IE11 problems more specifically and provide further posts regarding issues.

OK - Viewing WebHelp output in IE11 -

Table of Contents has dissappeared, the icon is displayed on the tool bar but no TOC entries in the list;

index - displays the keyword box but does nothing and no index list is displayed;

search - search box will display and text can be entered but search does not appear to work.

For users who choose to use IE11 as their default browser, this renders the webhelp unusable.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix???

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have indeed been other posts in IE11 problems. The strange thing

is that if I try an RH10 output on a webserver, it all seems to work. So

I'm wondering if this could be releated to security settings for

intranets and local files.

Can you open the console with F12 and see what error messages pop up?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that in IE10 I had to add my intranet LAN server to the “Trusted Locations” list to get it to work – probably the same in IE11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

Thx for the response.

"meta tag fix" ?????? No idea what this is. My version of RH10 has all the Adobe recommended fixes applied. The published help project has been working fine for users of IE10 for some while now. Problems only started occurring when Windows Update automatically installed IE11 on their server and workstations - these problems only arose at this point, which would indicate to me that IE11 is the problem rather than anything RH10 is (or isn't) doing.

After applying the Adobe supplied fix for IE10 to RH10 all the published webhelp appeared to be working fine in IE10. Applying the whproxy.js fix from Adobe then resolved the Google Chrome update problem.

No one appears to have needed to add their intranet to Trusted Locations.

Overnight it has been reported that users who had installed IE11 and experienced problems, having reverted back to IE10, now no longer have any problems with the RH10 WebHelp output.

Again, this would indicate to me that the problem is that something has changed in IE11 that RH10 needs to address (similar to the Google Chrome issue recently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to this thread’s fix - http://forums.adobe.com/message/5765240#5765240

What you’ve indicated happening needs to be submitted as a bug report to Adobe – just talking about it here on the forums doesn’t get it on their radar. Use this site: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

Thx for the response. I have submitted this as a bug report to Adobe and received the following response:

"Thanks for reaching out to us. We are aware of this problem and have been working on it. IE is trying to be more standards compliant with IE11 version but it hasn't implemented all the standards components which other browsers provide. This is impacting our progress but we are seeing how best to creatively circumvent the issues."

Have advised users to use Firefox, Chrome or IE10 until a fix for the IE11 issue is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded IE 11 and tested webhelp project.  Experienced same issues reported by Montage9 above.  Used IE11 F12 to view settings.  Found Document mode set to "Edge (Default)".  Changed this one setting to use "10".  WebHelp folder worked correctly again (with exceptions noted in a previous post regarding unresolved issues in IE10). edge_mode.png

IE 11 includes documentation on edge mode (http://www.modern.ie/en-us/f12) and encourages designers to begin web pages with the doctype html tag.  RH pages begin with an xml tag.  Not sure if this matters, but passing it along in hopes that RH developers will take a look at getting webhelp to work in IE 11's edge mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried your fix, and it worked!  However, I didn't know how to save the Document to 10 instead of Edge, so when I closed the F12 window, the webhelp reverted back to not showing the TOC. How do you make the fix permanent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to add the meta tag for document mode to your output. The easiest way to do this is to use a find and replace operation to add it to your output.

For more information on the meta tag, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff955275(v=vs.85).aspx

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but my issue is almost identical this the original post on this one, except I am using RoboHelp 8 instead of 10.

Apparently I received IE11 last night.  Yesterday everything was working fine with my RH8 webhelp, but today, the table of contents, index, and search functions don't work as described above, and my style sheet doesn't seem to be working quite so well.  However, when I copy the webhelp to our intranet site, everything looks fine.  This being the case, I don't need an urgent fix, but it certainly would be nice to be able to view it on my drive before doing that. 

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion above about adding the meta tag to output.  I did look at the Microsoft link, but am still a little confused.  Would the meta tag need to go in every htm file that is generated?  Or just certain ones?  If I were to do a find/replace, what would I search for in the find?

thanks very much!

Chris

(PS - our IT department is in the process of testing RH2015, so I won't be on RoboHelp 8 forever; it may be a while yet though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, unfortunately the simple fix is to upgrade RoboHelp. The sad fact is that browsers are constantly evolving and as a result, RoboHelp has to be upgraded in order to continue producing code that allows them to deal with the browsers.

Perhaps one argument you might use would be to say that it wasn't until IT upgraded the browser that things broke. Maybe that would facilitate upgrading to RoboHelp (2015 Release) in a faster manner?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With RH8, Chris, you’re probably pooched with using Firefox, Chrome, and Edge too. Upgrading, as Rick says, is really your only easy answer. Otherwise, you’re looking at doing a lot of post-production messing about with your help content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William

Thx for the response.

I can open the console in IE but am not familiar with this. If I select the "Console" tab it tells me that JavaScript Console is attached and accepting commands. There are zero 'white cross in red circle' and zero 'exclamation mark in orange triangle'.

What everything else means here is gobbledygook to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add the “meta tag fix” (meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8) that forces it to emulate IE8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp