• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to prevent spamming with random image...

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2007 Apr 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would like to prevent spamming on my coldfusion form. I see that some sites like Yahoo.com, before a user can click submit to create an account, they have to enter some random text from a randomly generated image before clicking.

Does coldfusion have some api, tutorial, or technique that I can create this random image, any ideas ?

Thank you so much,
C.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google "coldfusion captcha"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply, I've been researching various captcha's, but the issue is that most of these solutions have label's on them, like if there is a abcCaptcha, then 'abcCaptcha' would be labeled on the image. My company won't let me use that, is there a way to custom make my own, I heard that .NET had some utilities that can generate that, but does coldfusion have some api to do that?

Thanks so much,
C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used a long time ago the dynamic JPEG generation example that comes with CF 5.
This is the code, but I'm sure you can find a newer version, but work greats.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For most cases, unless you REALLY want to be 99% secure, there are very simple solutions:

1. Using any graphical editor, generate off-line a set of images. Dependently on your security issues make it large enough. Again in most cases 20-50 images will be more than enough. DIsplay them randomly.

2. Generate set of atomic images, using an editor. Let's say digits and/or letters. Generate a random number. Use every digit (or group of digits) of this number, as index into your atomic set. Display a combined image. For example, if random number is 12345, you would display five images "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", which look like a single image.

(1) is simpler. (2) requires more programming, but can yeild practically unlimited number of different images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2007 Apr 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easycfm.com has a captcha web service that I've been using on a number of sites. The images are not so obfuscated as to be unreadable, but the spam submissions have dropped to 0. I found the link to the web service on xmethods.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2007 Apr 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!, thank you so much for the comments and replies!, I'm trying to use all of your suggestions and code, I was wondering if anyone knows how to use audio to "say" the captcha text, I see some sites do that and wondering if anyone has any samples of that?

Thanks so much,
C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2007 Apr 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2007 Apr 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi lan99, thanks for your reply, I am going to check out that site.

Thanks again,
C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation