• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Reader

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an InDesign reader available?  Or can an InDesign file be read in Adobe?  If yes, how can you open an inDesign file in Adobe to view it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reader for InDesign files is InDesign (or possibly InCopy), but you can export to PDF to share a non-editable file with virtually anyone sinc Adobe Reader is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to share InDesign files - would like to eliminate having to save AND share in both formats.  Too much potential for error!  I could not find the reader to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HellaGrams wrote:

Need to share InDesign files - would like to eliminate having to save AND share in both formats.  Too much potential for error!  I could not find the reader to download.

Sorry, but I don't follow.

Unless the person(s) with whom you're sharing files has InDesign, there is no point in sharing native InDesign files, so why would you have to share both formats?

It's a very common workflow that actually protects content and reduces probability of errors. Save in InDesign (as indd.), export to PDF, and deploy (share). The native InDesign file (live editable content) stays in your sole control, and the less accessible PDF serves as a high-fidelity vehicle for many modes of sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Creative Cloud you could put the file in a Creative Cloud folder and share the file via a link. The recipient would see the layout and be able to add comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have ever tried this you will have noticed that it is not that smooth: shared documents that I made some comments to, do not appear in preview from the link that people I shared it with.

And  9 out of 10 times you will get a error message telling the guest that you shared it with that adding comment was unsuccesful and please try to refresh the page.

It seems nice, but (at least here in Europe) it does not work as advertized in many cases... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No denying there's work to do but I'm confident that it will get done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Bob, in the sense that it simply fails here in Europe 90% of the times... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such pessimism.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just tried again: made a PDF public in CS Cloud. Shared with a client.

I added some comments.

Client gets link. Logs in. My comment are not vissible!

Client tries to add comment and gets this message every time: "We're sorry, we had trouble adding your comment. Please refresh the page and try again."

Client can SEE the documnet (Whoehoe! That's one, but I also could have e-mailed the PDF, so no advance here...) but adding comments is what we need!

It simply does NOT work...

Ah... I remember Adobe Review...

EDIT: does not work if client is logged in to its own Cloud account or not: makes no difference, does NOT work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the sense that it simply fails here in Europe 90% of the times... 😉

There's someone brilliant at Adobe who has a great internationalization strategy for InDesign. And then there are about three hundred people who hate that one brilliant person, and make it their business to ruin the app for anyone not using the English interface in North America.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines