Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link/Map IDs just... disappeared.

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all -

I'm using RH HTML 9 to maintain our help file, and I've come into a fairly big (okay, devastating) issue with our map files. The issue is that they are just... gone. All my topics were correctly linked yesterday, but when I opened up RH today the links were gone from the Topic Properties menu and I am unable to add/link new IDs:

RH Map ID.png

I'm not quite sure what would have caused this, as the file location hasn't changed and I haven't done anything other than generate a new version of the project. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not well-versed in the behind-the-scenes workings of RH, so I'm not quite sure what to do here. Please help!

Thanks,

Erin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any map files displayed in the Project Setup pod. If there are, open these and see if the mapids are displayed there and whether they are assigned to anything.

mapids.png

If as it sounds you have no map files at all in the project, not even the default BSSCDefault.h file, try opening Windows Explorer and looking for any files that maybe there with a .h, .hh or .hm extension. If you can find your map file there, open it up in Notepad and see if it looks something like this.

mapfile.png

This file contains a list of the mapids that you use to map to your topics. Next see if you have a <projectname>.ALI file. Open this up in Notepad and see it it looks anything like this.

alaisfile.png

This file is the link between your mapids and the topics. Come back when you have done this and we'll take things to the next step. If things appear OK, there is the option to import a map file which may correct things, but let's take things one step at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I found some interesting things.

My map files *are* there - it just looks like all of them are unlinked. I opened up a few of the .h/.hh files and all of them look like your second screen capture.

I also opened the .ali file - it's completely blank, and it obviously shouldn't be...

Any ideas for a next step, or am I just stuck with this mess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a backup? You can just replace the ALI file, trash the CPD and reopen the file.

Is there a relation between the map ids and the topics? For example, the title of the topic may be the same as the map id. If there is such a relation, a script may be able to quickly recover the .ALI file for you.

Do you have a working WebHelp output? An ALI file can be regenerated from an output.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked my backup and the .ali file is blank there too... I had such high hopes.

And there kind of is. I inherited this project from several tech writers before me, none of whom named the corresponding map ID with the topic name. I was the one who started doing that. So, unfortunately that won't work.

Do you mean a working, generated version of the project? If that's the case then yes, I do have one that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than scripting I can't think of a way of recovering the alias file. As Willam is the King of Scripting, I've leave you in his capable hands. All hail the King!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully the King can help

Any idea why this file just went blank, though? I tried to do some research but didn't find any definitive cause - just a few other users who had the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me a mail with the output zipped up to contact wvanweelden eu? I'll see what I can do.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't receive an email. Do you still require help?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can you tell me if this issue was ever resolved? I have recently had the same problem of disappearing links between Map IDs and topics. I started another discussion before I found this one.

Thanks.

Carma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there-

I resolved it by taking a look at the backups I had in Carbonite. I found a relatively recent version of the master map file and then copied it over to the project folder, which solved my problem. If there's some other solution that involves doing scripting or digging in RH, I don't know anything about it - sorry!

Maybe try asking William (his post is a few above this one) for help? He seemed to have a good idea and may be able to guide you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp