• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what is the best laptop to run Premiere Pro cc?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've been having a lot of problems with Premiere cc since I downloaded it a few months ago and am now realising the problem is with my computer.  I have a late 2012 Macbook Pro, 2.5 ghz, 8gb Ram, intel hd 4000 processor which just doesn't seem to have the juice to run Premiere pro smoothly.  If I do any kind of editing, even just colour correction, the footage gets very sticky when playing back in Premiere.  if I try anything advanced like adding warp stabilier the program crashes.  I also bought magic bullet looks and I can barely open it without the whole computer having a meltdown.

This has been extremely frustrating and has made working with Premiere pro a nightmare.  I am now planning to buy a new laptop/pc and am looking for suggestions on what to buy.  i am looking for best bang for my buck.  While I would be willing to spend over a £1000 I would obviously prefer not to if I don't  have to.  I thought my Macbook Pro would have more than enough horsepower to handle it and have been left dissapointed and frustrated so would really appreciate some advice from the wider Adobe community on this.  I am also open to suggestions on desktops, not just laptops.

Thanks!

Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MohdNase, that link leads nowhere.

However, isnt there a database where it lists the GPU thats Premiere runs well on/with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also open to suggestions on desktops, not just laptops.

See ALL articles here: Tweakers Page

If you need mobility, see: ENG Trucks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony,

You need to provide more information about your:

- projects - # layers, typical effects, color grading, etc.?

- media - SD, AVCHD, 4k, Scarlet? (this makes a huge difference about the "best fit" hardware choice

Regards,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I am using it solely for wedding videography so it quite basic stuff.  I am filming on a canon 7d and really just looking or something that I can edit the footage with and put on some light effect/colour grading.  I am not able to say what level of effects I will be needing to use as at the minute when i try anything other than basic editing the programme has a stroke.  Like I mentioned I have Magic Bullet Looks suite sitting waiting for me but I haven't even had a chance to try it out.  One effect I really like but know that it is processor draining is some warp stabiliation .  There are certain shots it really lends itself to but I just bought myself a nice monpod and fluid head so shouldn't need that anymore.

Last night I tried downloading Premiere cc onto my girlfriends £500 basic desktop and to my great surprise everthing ran like a dream! (compared to my computer anyway).  Is this normal, that a cheap desktop would so comprehensively outperform a 12 month old Macbook Pro?  I am wondering if there is an unresolved problem with the macbook itself.

To give you an example, if i have put warp stabilisation on a clip on my macbook I have to put it at 1/4 resolution for it to playback and even then it is extremely choppy and sticky and sometimes crashes the programme.  Last night on the budget desktop I was able to put it to full resolution and it played smoothly, just like it would if it had been exported.

Any advice you could give on this would be much appreciated.  ive been round the traps with apple and adobe tech guys and neither of them can find anything wrong with the computer or the programme.

Thanks,

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am filming on a canon 7d

That makes a desktop more attractive than a laptop.

I have Magic Bullet Looks suite

That requires a high clock speed, not available in a laptop.

some warp stabiliation

That also indicates a desktop is better than a laptop.

Did you read Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, that's good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have to use a laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not him... but he did say "I am also open to suggestions on desktops, not just laptops" which is why I posted the ADK link in #4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to read more carefully.

Make that, "Don't use a laptop."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines