• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM to CHM jumps

Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2007 Apr 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - We are moving to CHM helps from HLP and encounter the situation where if we do an interfile jump to open a topic in another CHM, the title bar retains the orginal help name, TOC and indices, and searches in the second CHM are not able to use the correct index/toc.

A coworker has determined that using a Master TOC does work around this problem for her application, but i write for a suite of programs that may not all be included in a purchase. I don't want to maintain multiple TOC's if that's even workable, and I want to find out if there is a way to get around using a master TOC? I was hoping that opening the second help in a new window would solve it but my coworker says she could not get that to work. I have not had a chance to test that yet, and wanted to see if there are any answers, or ideas, on this forum as to how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 11, 2007 Apr 11, 2007
Joe,

While I'm sure you can find the answer in Rick's wonderful help file, here is what to look for.

You have seen that you can open a remote topic within the current help viewer but what you want to do is open another CHM, complete with all of its own navigation tools. The easiest way to do this is with a shortcut control. Direct the shortcut to run hh.exe - this is the Windows HTML Help viewer. Rick's file will give you more details. Implementing this will leave your current help window open...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello tojo45,

Check out RoboWizard's Tips and Tricks.

Hope it helps,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

While I'm sure you can find the answer in Rick's wonderful help file, here is what to look for.

You have seen that you can open a remote topic within the current help viewer but what you want to do is open another CHM, complete with all of its own navigation tools. The easiest way to do this is with a shortcut control. Direct the shortcut to run hh.exe - this is the Windows HTML Help viewer. Rick's file will give you more details. Implementing this will leave your current help window open as well. If you want to close the calling program, you would need a script to do that.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2007 Apr 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John / Brian - The Shortcut does do what I want to do, BUT, two questions I want to make sure I am not missing something about:

1. For "the program to run" I inserted the actual CHM file name not "hh.exe". If I use that it does not work. With the CHM file name it works.

2. The button it builds does not display the complete label in the compiled CHM. It does show it in the WYSIWYG editor.

How can I make the button size larger, and is the "hh.exe" supposed to be in the "program to run" field?

Thanks again for your help. I am much closer than I was.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, I was using an invalid character it appears (ALT+0149). If I use a period vs. this bullet symbol the whole button displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian / John,

I have resolved those last issues I believe, but with being able to make that secondary window open, it opens in a much larger size than I want. Does that have to do with the window class setting in the shortcut dialog? I tried a couple window "types" obtained from the Help, but didn't seem to have an effect.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can define a size for the secondary window. Do this the same way you set the size for your main window - in the Window Properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I believe I have got the answers I need. Sorry for taking the long way around the block to get there. I appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp