Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessing RH Project on a Network

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2007 Apr 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHTML X5 using XP.

If I create a small project on my local drive, RoboHelp is very fast. When I copy that project to my company's LAN, RoboHelp is extremely slow. When I create a new project and save it to the LAN, it is also slow. Is this a known issue or just something going on with my machine?

This is also a problem when using source control. (I've recently been asked to use source control software, ClearCase, for versioning. This doesn't work well at all. I need to check out all the files to my local hard drive. Modify the files that need to change. Publish to WebHelp. Copy all files back, including WebHelp folder, which can take hours. Apparently, because publishing to WebHelp causes all files to be rewritten, all the files in the WebHelp folder need to be checked in. The project with the various gifs, PDFs, index and TOC files, etc., has over 1,000 files.)

Is there a way to work on the LAN and not have it so slow.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian

For starters, try clicking here and reading an article.

Once you are done with this, come back and read the next post in this thread.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

The best way to work on a LAN is to use the LAN as a simple repository. Imagine you have three authors. You store a complete copy of your project in a LAN location. Author 1 needs to make changes. They copy the project to their local hard drive and make changes. When finished, they copy it back to the LAN. Author 3 then needs to make a copy. They copy from the LAN, make changes and copy back to the LAN.

With source control, you can actually configure it so the "Working Directory", the temporary sandbox used to make updates, is a folder on your hard drive. The actual source files are on a LAN, but as you work on the project, the files you work on are copied to your local drive while you work on them until you check them back in. At that point, they are copied back to the LAN.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 18, 2007 Apr 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Brian, three things:

1. The storing of files on a server, whether using source control software or not, should only be applied to the source files. The output files, which can easily be reproduced from the source files, would normally be published in a separate area on a server (for review, for building into the application, etc.).

2. The RoboHelp HHP, CPD, PSS, and LDB files are machine-specific and should not be added to the source control directory.

3. Clearcase doesn't have a good track record working on RH (not like VSS, for example).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp