• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display errors in Windows 8/IE11

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My remote access Help TOC (and there for, help in general) gives display errors in IE11 on Windows 8 platform. First time you access Help, it displays.  The second time, it gives a script error; the third time a blank page. 

Anyone else seeing this?  Suggested fixes/workarounds?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the script error? Can you also open the console with F12 and see

whether that gives some more information?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s the script error:

If you select either Yes or No, the Help file displays, but the next time you try to access Help, you get a blank page.

Once in the blank page, if I use F12 to open the console, this is what I get:

Kasey Arnold-Ince

CORPORATE STORYTELLER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only include images when you reply via the web interface. Your images in the emailed reply didn't make it to the forum.

Also I have removed the various links on the assumption you really don't want the spam that can result from posting them to a forum.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter--I was working from a device with limitations yesterday, let's try this again.

Here's the script error:

Script Error.PNG

If you select either Yes or No, the Help file displays, but the next time you try to access Help, you get a blank page.

Once in the blank page, if I use F12 to open the console, this is what I get:

F12 console info.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I be right in thinking the help works fine if accessed directly, it is only when accessed from an application that this problem arises?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Local Help (included in the application) works fine; it's only the online help that is having problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait for Willam to confirm it but to me that is pointing to something being wrong with the call.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'local help'? A CHM?

From a look in the code, the function you call tries to open the help

in a new popup. But for IE, it will try to open a popup and inject some

code. This is probably the cause of the error. Try opening the help

without a new popup (add >>newwnd=false to the CSH call).

How does the application call the help? A default API or have your

developers created a custom solution?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping that this discussion would have continued...I am having a similar problem.

I am generating WebHelp. I was using RH9, had to upgrade to RH11 because of a display issue with Chrome. That issue was fixed by upgrading to RH11, however I am now receiving the script error (noted above) in IE when displaying my help pages from within the application. When I display the help page directly from an external browser, it displays fine. When displaying help from the applications Internal browser (IE), I receive the Script Error. I did ask the engineer if there was something on his end he could do, and he said:

"The internal browser uses the IE engine but it is not completely linked to the “Internet Options” and displays errors, since it really is just supposed to run well behaved web content. There shouldn’t be any javascript errors from Robohelp."

So, he doesn't think that it is anything at his end that he can change, i.e., the call to the help?

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please confirm this only occurs when your help is called from the application and if you open it directly, then it works without problems.

If so, that does point to it being a problem with the call.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whcsh_home.htm is a file for context sensitivity. As Peter asked, it

only happens when calling the help from the application, right?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp