• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2 questions pls 1) Why is NO 'option' to install MacAfee shown on the Install screen appearing when

Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... you are updating the last version of Flash when using at least Firefox 25, with Ghostery installed?   As some seem to doubt that this state exists, I DO have a screen shot of that.

On the page screen that appears, the 'install' button does not work initially.  You have to 'pause' Ghostery' before proceeding and then, pressing 'Install' does not work by installing the update either.  Instead, you are taken to the main Adobe page ie  www.adobe.com

Having read about the problems others were having installing Flash under FF, I then decided to go to the main download and install from that.  Never having had Macafee impinge before  (possibly because some of the previous attempted updates, using latterday versions of FF never worked in the first place - the last installer I have filed away is from 18//7/2013), by this time I wasn't looking for any need to ,opt out, of anything,  So I could well have missed it, if it was there.  But now, lo and behold, I have some early unwanted Christmas present

Taking account of all the circumstances, I do feel a trifle misled, as seems to be the case with many other unhappy campers in the past.

Can you stop this somehow please?  I'm sure it's not intended as some sort of sneak attempt to dump unwanted apps on us, but it doesn't half leave a bad taste when it happens like that

2)  So, now that I have what I know I don't want, how do I uninstall MacAfee, please?  I use Norton 360 and am perfectly happy with that, thank you

Oh, I forgot......PC, Win 7 64bit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can uninstall McAfee through your Control Panel.

In the future, download the Adobe Flash Player installer directly by clicking one of the following links.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Nothing in those but the installer.

Some posters here have reported that adblockers have been disabling the "optional download" section of the update page, although I haven't personally seen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike M

Thanks

FWIW, you don't even seem to be able to log into these forums unless you 'pause' Ghostery.  There's not even a warning from Ghostery of an attempted redirect.  I've not come across that anywhere else.  Not even those who profess to do no evil seem do that.

As for the WYSIWYG on the Install screen with the misssing Option Offer as mentioned above , in all its unedited glory, here it is, ...

131209 No Optional Offer.jpg

If anyone really thinks that that's not a potentially misleading entrée, I would recommend a visit to some nice young person wearing a clean white coat.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI almost NOBODY here works for Adobe. We're just users like you.
What you've seen has been reported months ago, and it isn't going to change anytime soon.
Unwanted software ticks me off too, which is why I never update anything automatically.

I've had those links I posted since long before I started contributing here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up.  I've forwarded this to the team responsible for the web page.  So far, they have been unable to reproduce this using standard ad blockers.  Hopefully the Ghostery add-on will give them some additional clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris.  Thanks for getting back.  Hope it is of some help, as it seems to be irritating a lot of people, maybe even more than it did me yesterday

Just in case it adds anything, can you also make sure that your web people know that Ghostery also seems to prevent even log-ons to these forums?  Surely that shouldn't have to be so?  I have lots of other sites with individual id/logon requirements and none of them are as screwed up as that

Otherwise, additional sysinfo is:

OS is Win 7 64bit Professional

Version showing is Bulid 6.1(Build 7901:Service Pack 1)

Firefox is 25.0.1

Ghostery is in Addons as 5.0.6

Also running in Firefox Add-ons....Better Privacy 1.68, ciffix0.36, DoNotTrackMe2.2.9.618, DownloadHelper 4.9.21, Norton Toolbar 2013.4.5.2, Norton Vulnerability Protection 12.0.3.2-1, Skype Click to Call 6.13.0.13771, TrackMeNot 0.6.728

That list may make it sound as if I am paranoid, but my shrink approves of them all as he thinks that they are good for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ghostery isn't an ad blocker, it's a cookie blocker.

The forums, and many other areas of the Adobe website, rely on cookies to keep track of your preferences and login sessions. If you intentionally stop them from working, so will the website. Not Adobe's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but as I understand it, EU privacy legislation mandates that all EU facing websites make cookie placement an option for users, on the basis of their first giving informed consent.  I can't see this site offering any such option when trying to login on these forums.

So is Adobe operating illegally here, where I am?     I don't know for certain, but I think that I saw another comment somewhere else concerned about the same issue.   Alternatively, maybe they just don't want uppity Europeans who are as bothered as think they should be able to exercise what legal rights they may have this side of the pond 

Maybe somebody could usefully take a look at that too and let us know why it's all OK..   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to reproduce this using Ghostery.  In particular, it appears that when Ghostery blocks the Omniture beacon the checkbox (and all related text) is removed from the page.

I've shown this to the webteam involved and they will perform additional investigation.

Thank you again for bringing this up, this definitely gives us something to go on.  Hopefully a solution can be found where Ghostery (and other ad/cookie blocker extensions) can co-exist with the Flash Player and Reader download pages.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines