Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Record Internet Explorer 7

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2007 Apr 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I’m trying to create a guide about IE7 using Adobe Captivate 2. I use the record demonstration options. I start the recording process and then open IE7, now I hear the camera capture sound, but as I click around in IE7, Captivate 2 don’t capture any new screen shots. I try to force a screen hot by pressing the print screen button but nothing happens. it seems like all the short-cut commands in Captivate 2 have stopped working when I try to record from IE7.

Any one has an idea of what to do?

//
Philip
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2007 Apr 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

I'm not sure what the issue would be. I just tested recording IE7 using my version of Captivate 2 and had no issues. The only thing I might think of that could be an issue here is possibly what is being displayed by IE at the time you are recording. Is there a Web Application running or is it a generic Web Page? If it's a Web Application, I suppose it's possible that something in the programming of the application is interfering or otherwise doesn't like Captivate.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2007 Apr 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried different web pages, with same results. For example google.com, nfl.com and a blank page. It still won’t work for me. Every time I record from a IE7 window, the short cut commands don’t work and when I click outside the screen capturing box, they work again. I tried reinstall my browser but there were no difference.

//

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

Does Captivate record things other than Internet Explorer? It would seem that perhaps there is some issue overall with Captivate and not just IE. I'd perform a small test and try something simple, such as Windows Notepad and see if Captivate works to record it. If not, you know something is up with Captivate. If it works, then it probably points to an issue with IE.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried several other programs, such as MS Word, Notepad, Photo Shop and Windows Vista. All those programs captivate works with out problems. IE7 is the only program that my captivate don’t work with.

//
Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, I see you mention that only the recording shortcut keys (Print Screen and whatnot) seem to be not being recognized. You also said that you did hear Camera Shutter sounds when you clicked the mouse. When this happens, is Captivate recording what is inside the recording area?

Have you tried clicking Options > Recording Options... > Change Recording Keys and configuring a different key that would be used to capture the screen? Maybe somehow it was changed from the default Print Screen key or your keyboard is for reasons unknown, not sending the expected key code for Print Screen.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2007 Apr 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r
Hi again

Okay, I see you mention that only the recording shortcut keys (Print Screen and whatnot) seem to be not being recognized. You also said that you did hear Camera Shutter sounds when you clicked the mouse. When this happens, is Captivate recording what is inside the recording area?

Have you tried clicking Options > Recording Options... > Change Recording Keys and configuring a different key that would be used to capture the screen? Maybe somehow it was changed from the default Print Screen key or your keyboard is for reasons unknown, not sending the expected key code for Print Screen.

Cheers... Rick

I have tried to change the Recording keys and came up with the same results. I will give an example of one thing I want to do in IE 7.

I start to record from the desktop, (now captivate works fine), I open up IE 7 (I hear captivate taking a shot), and I open up my favorite’s folder and click on a web page. I close IE 7 and stop the recording, and when I go to the storyboard view in captivate, I only got 2 slides one is of the desktop when I open IE 7 and the other slide show the IE 7 window.
I used the default demonstration options when I did the record.

I try to redo the same thing but this time I try to force some screen shots. When IE 7 is open I press Print Screen (which I have assigned as the key to capture the screen manually). I don’t hear the camera sound. When I stop the recording and got to the storyboard view I still only got 2 slides.

I noticed that when I record from the IE 7 window and make the IE 7 window inactive, then captivate record as usual.

//
Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DenOtrolige and Captiv8r,
Not to interupt this ongoing dialog, but it seems to me you are not getting anywhere ... and I'm big on just getting the job done ... so in that spirit could I suggest you download the (totally free) FireFox browser and do your captures using that instead of IE7? It displays the same content (often more quickly) and has proven its value to many Captivate users over a rather long time.

Just a thought ...

As a last thought, DenOtrolige, you might want to just sit down with your (IE7) browser open and press all the function keys one-at-a-time, carefully watching the screen as you do so.

Many keyboard shortcuts are activated when Internet Explorer (any version) is opened, for the simple reason that Bill Gates honestly believes that all you should ever need (or be allowed to use) is his Microflop products, so he tends to be really proprietary about any other use of your (entire) keyboard. For that reason, any key that is used by IE should be avoided when setting up your keyboard shortcuts in Captivate. Again, just a thought ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight, Larry.

Good suggestion that never crossed my mind, what with being all caught up in IE talk.

(even though I personally have all but switched it all to Firefox myself)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2007 Apr 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I could, I would change to FireFox, but the project has to be about IE 7.
I will try again with the keys, to see if I can find anyone that works for me.

//
Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2008 Jun 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have the exact same problem as you DenOtrolige. Did you happen to find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources