Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 - Search not producing results for some users

Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH10 and the help system is stored on a sharepoint server (it was output as WebHelp)

All users are able to access the system once we give them access, but when they go to search for topics, some get results and some don't. I believe it's related to java, but I can't find any documentation on what version of java is required for end users?

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled RH (as read in some of the forums) with no changes for the end users.

Are their other outputs that don't require java for searching?

Anything else I can test?

Other information that would be helpful to share?

Thanks!

Laura

(Moved this from the wrong forum -- sorry 🙂 )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

RoboHelp 10 does not use Java. WebHelp uses JavaScript which is a

default scripting language on the web, it is completely separate from

Java. And users don't need to install anything special to make it work.

Do all the users have access to all the folders of the WebHelp project?

Be sure that all users have access to the wh* folders as well.

Is there any issue the users receive?

Which browsers and versions are the people using to access the help?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you William. I guess that's why I am confused as to why the users are unable to access.

All of the users have the same "read only" access to the parent folder and all of the folders within that folder (including the wh* folders)

They don't get an error message it just doesn't give them any results when they try to search.

I'm still gathering data on browsers, but I know the standard image is IE 8 -- and our computers are on tight restrictions, so I don't think there are too many people using anything different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I would first check the security settings of the browser. Is the

help location added as a trusted site? Intranet sites may have some

security settings blocking certain scripts, but I would then expect all

users to experience this behaviour if everyone is on the same browser.

When you place the help locally on the pc of a user, does the help work

correctly then?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at the Call Center today and have found a few that do not have javascript enabled, so I am working with IT to get that corrected, but the other error I am seeing has me baffleld.

They are using IE and it does have Javascript enabled, but then they go to search nothing comes up. In the bottom left hand side of the IE window, it says error on page and it switches quickly with a message about waiting on ... <file location>whfbody.htm

I did verify that the whfbody.htm file is located in the project and in sharepoint (in the same folder that everything else is located in, so they should have access to that file too).

Can you think of anything else I can check to see why this is causing problems for some users?

Thanks,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure, have you installed the IE10 patch? See the

announcement on http://forums.adobe.com/community/robohelp

Also, I would try regenerating the entire help system. Remove everything

from SharePoint before uploading the new version. Clear the cache from

the browsers that give trouble and try again.

If the users see a script error, what error does IE provide?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks William - Since we have not upgraded to IE 10, I have not installed the patch yet, but I will do that.

I will re-upload the entire system, but it will likely be the weekend before I can do that.

The error seems to only happen to users not using Citrix and one of the IT folks tried a few security settings and was unable to resolve the issue.

The error was moving so quickly in the bottom left corner that I wasn't able to capture it in full, but it was "waiting on wh... <something>" -- I couldn't ever see what the entire name of the file it was waiting on was. I have limited time with the end users and have not been able to recreate in my environment unfortunately (even though I am using a similar set up as some).

At this point we have had to put the rollout on hold since we can't get all users on the system, but thanks for your assistance. I know this is better than what we have been using, so we'll continue to try to work out the kinks.

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

When i got home to look at the system again, I found this was CHECKED.

As soon as I unchecked it, the search was functioning.

uncheckprotectedmode.png

Update:

Viewing the project online from WORK this morning, the search is working properly.

Viewed from HOME the project was apparently not working for search; it may be a cache issue in the browser but I didn't do anything other than not look at the system until 12 hours later meaning that right now, it appears to have fixed itself overnight.

Same here; no search functionality whatsoever in IE 10; right panel is blank.  zip files installed for existing project, no change observed.  Checking other files and creating a new project to test this and other apparent issues with dropdown regions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We installed the patch and did a fresh upload and still have the same problems.

I was finally able to get the error information, but it doesn't seem to help me with troubleshooting. Any other suggestions are certainly welcome.

'Node' is undefined

whfhost.js

Line:3243

(it says this a few times and then it adds char:2)

That line of code is

function _getWordMatchType( a_Word, a_Tile, a_nPosition, a_nOffset )

The "waiting on" referred to in the next comment is the whfbody.thm file

The error was moving so quickly in the bottom left corner that I wasn't able to capture it in full, but it was "waiting on wh... <something>" -- I couldn't ever see what the entire name of the file it was waiting on was. I have limited time with the end users and have not been able to recreate in my environment unfortunately (even though I am using a similar set up as some).

If I search either the whfbody or whfhost in the message board archives, I come up with several instances where people have had similar issues, but there do not appear to be any fixes.

I am able to search whether I have enabled mode checked or unchecked, so I am not sure that works for us either.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok here is an idea completely off the wall or beamed to me by the mothership hovering over Chicago.

test this for one user who is having problems and only if it works THEN try this for each user:  You should not have to restart or anything like that.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file

Right mouse click that file

click security tab

for each listing in group or user names edit it to allow in permissions for users

Then when all are done, click ok's and then DELETE that host file from the folder.

The ONLY REASON I am saying this is due to issues with playing a game online and someone told me to do this to stop my issues and it worked; the host file gets recreated so it should not be anything to worry about

however

I HAVE NO IDEA if this will help you.

However, this is a link to somewhere that describes what this thing does:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hosts-file/

I am guessing as you can tell that there is something related to your issue; if it doesn't work after testing for one user I am assuming nothing significant will be affected but use this suggestion at your own risk; it's just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp