• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does After Effects have a backup feature?

Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects just crashed on me and I lost my project. Is there any way to recover that project. I didn't save it I know it was dumb of me. I tried reopening After Effects but nothing popped up. I also use After Effects CS5.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

If you didn't enable Auto-Save in the prefs, then no, there is nothing there.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you didn't enable Auto-Save in the prefs, then no, there is nothing there.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. They should implament a backup system like Sony Vegas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Thanks for the answer. They should implament a backup system like Sony Vegas.<

Maybe. The term is not specific; different meanings in different fields to different people. Do you mean AutoSave should be automatically enabled? That's easy to do but you have to set the pref yourself because lots of people do not want autosave activated out of the box. Do you mean AE should create a backup copy of all of your project's media to a specified folder? That's a superb feature of AE known as commonly as gather media but it's not automatic and I wouldn't it to be since my projects often reference tens of gigs of media files. Imagine the disk activity while I'm trying to edit effects.

After spending time on a Vegas machine recently, Sony might benefit more from Adobe's paradigms rather than the converse.

bogiesan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to turn autosave on, and even then you at least have to save it once for it to work. Also Nucleo Pro does a good job at auto saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Automatically Save Projects preference in the auto-save category is now on by default, beginning with After Effects CC (12.2).

Note: An even better approach than relying on auto-save is to use the File > Increment And Save command regularly and habitually. The Increment And Save command has a couple of advantages: it allows you to determine exactly when to save, and it does not overwrite previous saved versions. Once you have developed that habit of using Increment And Save, you may choose to turn off auto-save. (That’s what I do.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines