• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I import .flv files to Adobe Premiere 12?

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I import .flv files to Adobe Premiere 12?

thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to convert them outside of PRE first (ideally to DV or HDV). You could try the free Handbrake transcoder.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha... very funny,  "insanity...." how true.

For some reason I was able to import them into Elements 11 (I did not have premiere).  Maybe I will try in Elements rather than Premiere.  Seems strange that one can't import a file in a format created by Adobe.

Many thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you can import them into v11 you're probably best to load them there and then output to a file you can use in v12. I'm pretty surprised that you can load them into v11 though - did you install a special codec to get that working?

Note though that, on checking, Handbrake cannot produce a DV output. Free FLV to DV converters seem pretty thin on the ground (when I've needed to do it I've used the commercial Aimersoft Video Converter Pro). However Leawo offer a free one.

I'm also confused by your product description 'Elements 11', don't have 'Premiere'. There isn't an Elements 11 (or 12) product as such. The consumer Elements suite (both 11 & 12) consists of three components - Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements, and Elements Organizer. There is also their prosumer product 'Premiere Pro'. So I'm interested to know which one were you able to load flv files into?

Cheers,
--
Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the version of Elements I use. I bought the Costco special version, where I bought 12 also. I bought Premiere separately from Amazon.

I wonder if there is a different organizer I can use that just organizes flv files without having to jump through hoops.

Many thanks,

Elements Organizer 11.0.0.0

Core Version: 11.0 (20120830.r.32025)

Language Version: 11.0 (20120830.r.32025)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: Xhamster

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\Xhamster\

Catalog Size: 12.8MB

Catalog Cache Size: 111.8MB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 7

Operating System Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:10 Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 7.9GB

Free Memory: 5.1GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the Elements Organizer, but it is not sold separately so you must have bought it with either (or both) of Photoshop Elements / Premiere Elements. I still don't know how you managed to get flv files into the Organizer (mine certainly doesn't allow so) but the Organizer is an organizer/media viewer only - so at best it would only allow you to play those files - not edit them.

Cheers,
--
Neale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. I didn’t understand our original question. Yes, I bought Elements 11 and it had the organizer and the editor. I don’t separate them in my mind. I also wonder how I import flv files. Maybe there is a plug in (????) I forgot?

Any, if I figure it out I will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XTimeTravelers

Is Premiere Elements 11 still on your computer?

If so, could you open the program to the Expert workspace and go to the fx Effects Tab at the bottom of that workspace.

Click on fxEffects to open it and then please scroll through the effects categories to see if there is a non Adobe category listed there which would house a flv plug-in?

In some instances, the presence of the flv importer may be evidenced by just a pop up at import. Do you see anything like that going on when you import your flv into Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace?

I would agree that you can import flv into the Elements Organizer 11 without problem, even play it back there. I have the VLC player installed so I am not sure if that is what is enabling the playback of the flv in the Elements Organizer 11. The flv will definitely not import into Premiere Elements 11 workspace.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to import flv files to photoshop elements 11 organizer. I did not have premiere 11.

I installed both 12s on a new computer, so I still have 11 on my old computer.

I did what you said below and “show all,” and there appeared about 70 effects in the right hand “frame.” I didn’t see any categories or identification of supplier, but all the thumbnails were trees or close to that.

Anyway, I wonder if I missed something.

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XTimeTravelers

If the details are as stated in your latest post, there are no inconsistencies here between us. Misunderstandings, probably.

Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 are standalone programs. Each comes with the same (but its own) Elements Organizer 11 and each with its own Editor section. When a given version (Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 for example) is on the same computer, that version shares the same Elements Organizer catalog. All that being said....

All you are saying is that you can import a .flv file into the Elements Organizer 11 that came with Photoshop Elements 11.

a. Photoshop Elements 11 is a photo editor and will not support video (flv or otherwise). We agree on that.

b. Elements Organizer 11 that comes with Photoshop Elements 11 does support the import of .flv files there for organizational purposes. And, you should be able to playback the .flv file in the Elements Organizer 11 (you may need VLC player, not sure on that requirement...but it is possible). You can do the same for Elements Organizer 12.

All we are saying is the you cannot import a .flv file into the Premiere Elements Editor, be it for Premiere Elements Editor 11 or 12. And, you have not said that you have. All you are talking about is your experiences in the Elements Organizer 11 which should be the same for the Elements Organizer 12.

So, we are in agreement on everything.

Summary:

You cannot import a .flv file into the Photoshop Elements Editor (any version) because it is a photo editor. You never claimed you did.

You cannot import a .flv file into the Premiere Elements Editor (any version) even though it is a video editor. This particular video editor (11 or 12) does not support .flv.

The Elements Organizer of these programs is another story where it is possible to import the .flv for organizational purposes and even playback.

Does that make it all come together for you?

Please review the above and then let me know if I am out of sync on what you wrote and how I have interpreted it.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2013 Dec 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow…. Talk about comprehensive and accurate….. Thank you very much. Yes, you understand everything and maybe I am STILL missing something.

You say, “The Elements Organizer of these programs is another story where it is possible to import the .flv for organizational purposes and even playback.”

That is true for me for 11, but not 12. I suspect I might be missing some small detail. After I last wrote, I took my catalog from my Elements 11 computer and put it on the Elements 12 computer, then did the conversion. The converted catalog shows the tags but not the thumbnails, and when I click on a tag, it does not bring up any .flv files even though I know I tagged them. It only recognizes mp4 and wmv files.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your time and precision. I am very frustrated, and just assume it is something I am missing.

Best wishes to you,

LWL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LWL

Thanks for your follow up and kind words.

But, I must apologize for what appears to be an oversight on my side in my zeal for understanding what you were observing for .flv in version 11. Everything I wrote about for Premiere Elements 11 Editor/ Elements Organizer 11 and Premiere Elements 12 Editor is true and in agreement with both our understandings on the matter.

But, I tripped you up when I wrote

All you are talking about is your experiences in the Elements Organizer 11 which should be the same for the Elements Organizer 12. Emphasis on the "should be" part. I road test all that I write. But for some reason I did not verify the "should be" with "is".

When I saw your report this evening, I thought your Elements Organizer 12 observations were because you used a converted catalog. So, before converting a Elements Organizer 11 catalog with .flv, I went to Elements Organizer 12 and tried to import my .flv into the Elements Organizer 12 catalog that existed there already. It refused to import .flv with a non support message. So, I did not go further to try for the Elements Organizer 11 converted catalog for 12.

So as of this writing, it looks like .flv is not getting into any aspect of Premiere Elements 12, neither Editor, nor Elements Organizer 12. Sorry about that.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent time with Adobe chat. They recommended I download the codecs from www.windows8codecs.org. It just gives me a tiny file that says application, but when I click on it it does nothing. So I tried Windows8codecs.com, and installed it but still have no luck with importing flv into organizer. Really, Adobe is hopeless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XTimeTravelers

Thanks for the update. I went to the http://windows8codecs.org/ to see what if had to offer. In writing, it sounds like it "might" work. However, sometimes codecs additions can cause more problems than what you already have.

What worried me is what is may be removing before it installs.

It may be to your advantage in the long run to convert the .flv to a Premiere Elements compatible format before you import it into the program for organizational as well as video editing purposes.

Did the Adobe rep say that this codec package was definitely the answer for using .flv in Premiere Elements 12 Editor and Elements Organizer 12 or was it a "try this" suggestion? Did the rep reference anyone who got it to work including anyone at Adobe?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rep HOPED this was a resolution. I have tried going on chat about 5 times but I keep getting cut off, and each time they ask for address, etc. I did get the following invitation to reply to a “no-reply” email address! Just for the heck of it I did reply and did not receive a “non-deliverable” notice. Of course I did not get a reply to my question either.

I will be returning both Premiere and Elements, and I wonder if you have found a suitable substitute for the Organizer?

Thanks,

Leigh

This email is regarding our Chat interaction few minutes back. Unfortunately our Chat interaction got disconnected. Please advise if you still require assistance.

You could confirm by replying to this email. If you would prefer a callback, please provide me your contact details and suitable t ime so that I could call you and assist you with the issue.

Thanks for using Adobe Product Support Services!

Regards,

Srishti Gupta

Technical Support Associate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Leigh

I have never gone the route to Adobe Lightroom. But, I have been looking for a definite yes or no as to whether it supports FLV files. You might want to give a look at the free tryout of that program.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom&promoid&promoid=DTEML

But, all along, the best to be gained by any of this was to be able to organize FLV, not edit it in Premiere Elements Editor. The latter has always been a definite No Go for Premiere Elements Editor any version. I was suprised about the version 11 Elements Organizer FLV perk when you first mentioned it and curious about why it was not the same in 12.

If your decision to return Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 is final, do that as fast as possible. After 30 days of purchase, you do not have that option based on what I have run into.

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XTimeTravelers wrote:

I wonder if there is a different organizer I can use that just organizes flv files

iTunes allows you to import flv files.

Cheers,
--
Neale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply #4 here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4155790 includes links to another couple of free converters.

Cheers,
--
Neale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XTimeTravelers

Do you actually now have Premiere Elements 12 Windows? Or are you just thinking about it?

As for flv import and Premiere Elements (any version) the answer has always been cannot do unless, for versions 4, 7, and 8.0/8.0.1, you used the Moyea Plug-in to force the flv import. I have written about that in September 2013. I do not recall that the plug-in worked for this purpose beyond Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1299388

Do you have any recollection how you were able to import the flv files into Premiere Elements 11? If not a Moyea plug-in, some other 3rd party plug-in?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XTimeTravelers,

I think that Neale and ATR have gotten you on track, regarding Organizer, and then Premiere Elements, the Video editing program.

I use a freeware program, FLVtoAVI: http://www.pazera-software.com/products/flv-to-avi-converter/

to convert FLV files to AVI for Import and editing in PrE. It works pretty well, but there are various "flavors" of FLV out there (different CODEC's), so one *could* run afoul of one that does not convert well.

I always choose NTSC DV-AVI, as all FLV's that I have needed to edit, have been SD.

Note: if you do a lot of work with FLV's, then you might want to explore some of the programs from Moyea: http://www.video-to-flash.com/

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Adobe Premiere 12 official help document:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/supported-file-formats-premiere-elements.html#main_Adob...

FLV is not a correct format that Premiere 12 can import, you will need to transfer the file to a more friendly format like: .mov, .avi, .wmv, .mp4, .3gp/.3g2.

AppGeeker or Format Factory is great for any kinds of audio/video/image conversions to any format.

http://www.appgeeker.com/how-to/convert-flv-to-mp4-mac.html

Both of them handle the job well and you can easily alter compression rates in the settings to manage the final video size.  The file sizes it produces arent too big anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines