• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search functionality is HTML (not compiled) help?

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2007 Apr 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am more familiar with Doc-to-Help than RoboHelp, so please excuse my lack of knowledge!

I have existing HTML Help files that work in a frameset with a TOC pane, content pane, and Navigation (Next, Previous). There is no index and no search function.

I was told that RoboHelp has indexing and search features -- but I cannot get the info on what the "target" help is. If I created compiled HTML Help (a chm), then I would expect this functionality. However, this is *not* compiled help.

So, does RoboHelp offer this functionality for basic HTML files? Is there any written doc available for me to learn more about the outputs from RoboHelp? The various targets and the functionality with the targets?

Thanks in advance!

Kathy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2007 Apr 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

When you are in RoboHelp rather than the help you create, there are two tabs in the left frame one of which is Index. Have you created any index entries for this project? Not compiled help is more commonly referred to as WebHelp.

The search is created when you generate and publish the help. It's automatic. In the wizard when you generate you can select or clear the Search and/or Index tabs so if you are not seeing them, make sure they are ticked. They should be by default.

The target help is whatever is in the project unless you exclude any topics using a build expression.

Maybe that's not all clear but I'm not sure what the root problem is so post back if you need to.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter,

Thanks for the update! So, in Doc-to-Help (D2H) terms, my target is "WebHelp" -- I do not have RoboHelp at this time, so I can't comment on the tabs you referred to. That said, what you describe sounds like compiled HTML help generation using D2H. I do not want compiled HTML help.

Is there some doc you can refer me to about WebHelp generated by RoboHelp? When you say "generate and publish" the Help, what is the output? Just HTML files? HTML files in a frameset? What is the search functionality built on? Is there an applet or something?

Hopefully, this is more clear. I am trying to understand RoboHelp's search functionality -- what kind of search functionality would I have in WebHelp?

Thanks again!

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH you create outputs which sound like D2H targets.

WebHelp is an output in RH and a target in D2H. Hence my statement Not compiled help is more commonly referred to as WebHelp. Perhaps I should have put "Not compiled help" in brackets. CHM (or HTML help) is compiled whereas webhelp is generated locally and published to a server.

I am not sure where your questioning is going on the search. When you create either a CHM file or webhelp, RH creates the search functionality as part of the process. What sort of search functionality are you looking for?

I think it would be a whole lot easier for you if you downloaded the trial version.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You are lucky I saw your private message. I normally have that turned off!

You say "
My understanding of webhelp is that there is *no* search functionality b/c the entire contents are not compiled and looked at as one entity.

Several people (who have no experience with creating online help--RoboHelp or otherwise) tell me that they *know* there is search functionality with RH. My assumption is that they mean compiled help, which is not an option..."

You are making the wrong assumption. You can search across uncompiled html pages. After all that is what a web site is. RH does search across a webhelp output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp