• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy playback in CC, suddenly

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, yet another mysterious choppy, jerky playback out-of-the-blue issue.

Premiere Pro CC 7.01, Mac, was working relatively fine for a few weeks on a couple projects. Now, on new project, exact same setup and media as before, I get playback that is fine, then after a few moments or a minute, gets choppy, as my CPU becomes increasingly pegged, as if GPU acceleration becomes disabled with time. Cannot edit when it is like that. I give it a rest for a few moments, can play ok for a minute, then CPU and choppiness creaps up again.

Premiere Pro CC 7.0.1

Mac OSx 10.8.2

Nikon D800 and D7000 .mov files, 1920-x1080 23.976fps, High Quality

Sequence: DSLR 1920x1080x23.976fps

Project: Mercury OpenCL GPU (via AMD Radeon 6770m in Macbook Pro.) No change if switch to Software Only.

Premier Pref/Memory: either Optimize for Performance or Memory, and restart. No effect.

Playback Resolution: 1/2. Always worked before.

No other software running. (Time Machine enabled, not backing up. Crashplan paused or service unloaded did not help.)

When CPU pegs, it is kernal_task and Premiere at top of All Processes/%CPU table in Activity Monitor.

Macbook Pro, late 2011, quad-core 2.5 GHz i7, 16GB memory. Apogee Duet2 audio output.

Source files and cache files and preview files on Pegaus Raid on Thunderbolt. NEC monitor on Thunderbolt. Premiere on internal drive.

No complex layers, effects. Just straight video and 2-4 tracks of audio. So little to no Previews rendered.  Timeline bar is yellow, which always played fine (via OpenCL.) Rendering Previews of a few minute section does not help.

Happens whether doing multicam sequence or simple cuts.

Cleaned media cache (Premiere/Prefs/Media/clean cache.) No Previews to clean out.

Graphics Switching disabled, so always on Radeon.

Only Changes since it was working -

CC app update (i.e. the menu bar thing, but I usually Quit that anyway.)

Indesign CC, Extension Manager update (but never launched.)

More memory allocated to Crashplan (but if I pause or unload that service no effect. And memory does not seem to be an issue looking at Activity Monitor.)

Checked Files on and rebuilt Thunderbolt raid directory (with DiskWarrior, just as general maintenance.)

Apple Timecapsule firmware updated to 7.6.4.

Maybe Java updated to v7 update 25 during that time.

Thanks,

Vincent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

I just solved the problem that I've been having.  I traced the problem back to the audio device I've recently plugged in to my mac through the Digital Optical cable.  I can't say why Premiere was struggling to play nice with it, but as soon as I plugged the device in through a regular line out (quarter jack to RCA) my problems went away.  It's too bad I can't try and monitor true digtial 5.1 surround, but at least I'm back in action for editing.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the RAID doing a patrol read or consistency check during this time?

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Promise Utility's "Media Patrol" and "Redundency Check" (if that is a consistency check) are not running.

The issue doesn't have the feel of a throughput bottleneck. It's that CPU load that troubles me. Now I'm wondering if I actually upgraded to PP 7.01 from 7 after my last video project but before the recent photo-based project. Maybe didn't see a 7.01 issue with video till this current video project.

8 "threads" (of 4 core cpu) start out low, under 30%, as I play footage, then creap up to 99+ over a minute or so. Choppines starts.

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vrvince,

What happens if you run the Mercury Playback Engine in Software Only?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Mavericks

No I have lost Cuda Support in Premiere CC, and Media Encoder

Playback in PP is choppy. But returns to some acceptable when I turn  Mercury Playback Engine to Software Only.

It also dramaticaly improves the playback of Speedgrade Lumetri graded clips - even with masks

But Media Encoder now takes a crazy amount longer to render using Open CL.

Help!

Is 'Software Only' not leverging the gpu?

any help appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't upgraded to Mavericks, but did to PP 7.2 yesterday, and Open CL accelaration during PP/Export or Media Encoder is now slower than Software Only. I have late 2011 Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon 6770M card. I think it might be a pattern, where a PP upgrade regresses OpenCL support, then it comes back in next update, then goes away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man I hoped not to ever join a message like this.

Completely out-of-the-blue choppy playback.

I had too many updates over the past few days (adobe, nvidia, windows, canon 5 d software, etc) to narrow anything down... but all was well last week or so... and then this week I started messing around with LUT's for the first time and now even when I play the source .MOV file from my 5D mkiii - with zero effects and full mpe yellow line - its slow and super choppy. Never saw this before on my machine.

I'll pile on with a hearty... HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Choppy playback.

HP Pavilion  i7 Win 7

Premiere Pro CC

nvidia GEFORCE GT 650M

8gb RAM

Had absolutely no issues til today. I havent updated any driver for my cards etc. I did however recently update Windows... could that be the issue? maybe the onboard graphics card is taking over...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried rsystem restore (which failed of course), driver roll-backs and uninstalls on speedgrade and third-party plugins - no relief. I also went back and checked old perfect projects with iPhone footage and Sony HDR stuff, it's all choppy and skippy now as well.

I'm:

Alienware

CC

nvidia GTX 680 (rolled back now to driver 327.23)

12gb RAM

Really hoping we get some intervention on this one, I was literally mid-project, and I strongly feel this is something that has recently changed or was introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All: when you're reporting which version of PPro you're on, please specify the version number shown in the About box. For example, the current version is 7.2. Reporting only "CC" is not specific enough.

For those of you who are on 7.2, there may be at least two separate issues leading to choppy playback. A few users have reported that one of the following measures helps:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I'm still at a complete los$$, in every cent$ of the word.

To my surprise I was at version 7.0 Sir Reel. This is bad because Adobe Cloud kept telling me all of my apps were up to date. I unsinstalled cloud and premiere, reinstalled both, now I am at 7.2.0 (46).

Zero change.

I tried the RGB Curves test. No Change.

I cleared the Preview Files that I could find. No change.

I've switched the MPE from GPU to CPU. No change.

The playback is slowish and my source monitor looks as if it's struggling to draw the lines of the image fast enough if that helps explain my specific choppiness. A few frames look OK but then suddenly there's a jagged wave almost like frame rate or something. I'm down to testing direct clips right from my 5D mkIII (cinestyle) to the timeline with no effects. I can even click on the source .MOV file in the assets folder and play it to a monitor from there and see the same issues bypassing timeline/sequences, etc.

Again this is so odd concerning it just started happening all of a sudden.

I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone map out the exact area I need to hunt down the cached files. Anyone have the bug report link handy?

Also I'm not sure how this weird Creative Cloud issue I described is playing into this - it was impossible to uninstall the thing too, kept getting desktop uninstall errors before finally using brute strength. I cant believe it was telling me I was up to date at Premiere 7.0. Real nice... of course not that it mattered in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, cache files are at c:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common. You should find two cache folders there.

If you can't find the AppData folder, you'll have to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prem Pro CC 7.1

HP i7 Win 7

nvidia 650M

Same here... and Creative Cloud Updater is very buggy... It tells me all my apps are up to date, yet if i run the updater inside Premiere > help > updates - I can download to 7.2??

I'm about to try the cache clean idea as said in http://forums.adobe.com/message/5934916

I've deleted previews, checked drivers etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. (Possibly only temporarily - I will report back.)

Unfortunately I was in panic mode so I was not using scientific method to fix my problem – more of a shotgun method.

Major variables here so I’ll try to recap.

#1) I started messing round with Lumetri “SpeedLooks” LUTS for the first time directly in Premiere. I have been using the lumetri looks that are in premiere now – but I have never gone and grabbed a lut from somewhere else – which I did when I imported the SpeedLook luts from the Speedgrade program folder. This was the beginning of the end – whatever happened started slowing everything down and started giving me choppy codec/frame rate issue feeling problems ever forward – even when I would play stripped down clips directly from my camera on the source menu.

#2) I started rolling my nvidia driver back and forward while troubleshooting – I ended up in the forward most current position, but who knows.

#3) As mentioned I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Cloud and Premiere in order to get to the newest version. Adobe Cloud was lying to me about my apps being up to date. Don’t believe the lies. Terrible lies. Will this keep happening? Is there even support for the Adobe Creative Cloud app itself? On the latest and greatest (ahem) version of both for now.

#4) I was constantly creating a new project for troubleshooting but this time I decided to save it in a completely new folder way out on my root nowhere near where my video projects have been for the past 9 months. Once I relocated the project and the source files to a new distant location I dragged some footage on the timeline and it worked! Then I loaded it with effects (no LUTS, not that brave) and it worked!  I was back to my old self as though my home office was the TARDIS.

So… If it is a weird corrupt file or old cach preview files issue, will these bad vibe files start building up again in this new location and one day out of the blue I’ll suddenly be editing in 1979 on a TRS-80 again? Why did this start happening to my projects to begin with? Did the SpeedLook LUTS create the possibly bad preview/cache files to begin with? Did this happen because I was messing with SpeedLook LUTS inside premiere, with Canon 5D footage on an unbeknownst to me (or Adobe Cloud) old (7.0) version of Premiere thinking I was on the latest version? Dare I try LUTS again now that I'm finally stable?

I’m a paranoid gunshy mess over this.

When it finally worked I literally watched a few clips for a coupla minutes and had to run. I’ll put it through its paces tonight and see if we’re finally back to the future. (But I’ll probably hold off on LUTs until I get some insight/feedback – because I can’t go through this again – I’ll just have to make my contrasty blue and teal magic in 3-Way CoCo until then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I'm having choppy playback only when on CUDA playback mode. if I choose software only playback is fine.

any idea what can i do to fix it? it start happens since I update to mavericks.

only 1 layer video will do drop frames and freeze at 1080p 24fps

I really want to use Cuda I do lots of AE stuff links and I used to playback lots of video layers with no problem,

thanks!

Mac Pro Mid 2010

Processor  2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

SSD osx and SSD video drive raid

premiere CC 2014 8.2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mariano,

Can you test with a brand new project and not an updated one?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I recently looked into switching from Final Cut Pro X to Premiere CC, for many reasons, the biggest of which was that the UI in FCPX would become increasingly sluggish overtime throughout an edit and eventually it would become very difficult to make even minor edits.

I installed the trial for Premiere CC and spent some time learning the UI. I finished 3 Projects in it and absolutely fell in love with it. Everything, the control, the performance. All of my problems with FCPX were fixed.

Naturally at the end of my 30 day trial i bit the bullet and bought the full CC subscription.

I am now halfway through my first edit with my PAID copy of the software and what do you know, performance issues.

Not in the UI, the UI is still great. but in the playback, either in a sequence or in the source bin player. It's not all the time every time, but very frequently I hit play and the system will get really unhappy, the CPU usage will shoot up, it will start playing perhaps 1 frame at a time for a few seconds and then eventually it will playback normally. It also seems like Premiere is constantly trying to redraw the preview icons for clips.

I am using 8.2.0 (65) build

This is making me seriously regret my switch to CC

throughout all of FCPX's problems playback performance was NEVER an issue.

I am using a late 2012 27' iMac, 3.4 i7 with the GeForce GTX 680MX and 2GB. 32GB of Ram. all project files are on a thunderbolt connected SSD.

running OS X 10.10.1 ( a clean install, in my desperation)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Idkmybffjon,

idkmybffjon wrote:

So I recently looked into switching from Final Cut Pro X to Premiere CC, for many reasons, the biggest of which was that the UI in FCPX would become increasingly sluggish overtime throughout an edit and eventually it would become very difficult to make even minor edits.

Is this an updated project from an earlier version or a brand new project? If it's an updated project, try a test with a new project.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response Kevin, but I believe i have solved my own problem. When i did a fresh install of OS X I forgot to reinstall the CUDA drivers, doing so (and enabling them) instantly fixed all playback issues, at least for the last hour. I'll update here after more editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything. Then I turned off mic input in the audio hardware. Fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar problem.  Priemere Pro CC was working great, and then suddenly all of my projects won't play back right!  Every time I load a project, the footage plays and then stops after 1-2 seconds, or the video and audio slow down and the pitch drops, as if it's all in slomotion.  When i export the videos, they play back fine, but I can barely get through the editing to begin with.  I've tried rendering all of the footage and it makes no difference.  I've tried transcoding the files.  Also no change. The same thing happens when I play footage off of an external FW800 drive AND when I play it from my internal HDD. I can't get anything done like this and it's driving me crazy. Please help!

My machine stats:

Mac pro (tower) early 2008

upgraded graphics card: ATI Radeon 5770

16GB RAM

OS 10.8.2

Adobe Premiere Pro CC latest version (today is sep 27, 2003)

playback resolution: (I've tried them all, makes no difference)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just solved the problem that I've been having.  I traced the problem back to the audio device I've recently plugged in to my mac through the Digital Optical cable.  I can't say why Premiere was struggling to play nice with it, but as soon as I plugged the device in through a regular line out (quarter jack to RCA) my problems went away.  It's too bad I can't try and monitor true digtial 5.1 surround, but at least I'm back in action for editing.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in my case, it was reverting from Razer audio to standard audio - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BB,

in my case, it was reverting from Razer audio to standard audio - thanks!

Thanks for reporting back about this audio setting. BTW, were you on Mac or PC?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines