Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import pages from one project into another

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I compiled our help documentation into a project and am wondering how I can copy parts of my project into a new project. I'm trying to spilt out the project into smaller ones (management wants to compartmentalize the updating into other units and not have 1 master project). I tried to move my .html folders and supported images etc. into a new project but it wouldn't recognize them.

Besides making multiple folder copies of the entire project then customizing each. Is their a way to import pages from another project? The Resources pod seems to be only for Master Pages etc.

Thanks,

Joel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel

To insert existing topics (HTML Pages) into a project, try right-clicking the Project Manager pod. Once you do that you should see an option to Import. You may need to change the bottom of the Import dialog so it shows HTML pages.

Yes, for the moment the Resource Manager pod does not include topics. Hopefully that will change at some future point.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to move files between projects without having to re-import them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm not sure what you are asking here. It sounds a bit like you may be expecting an easy way to just copy or move a topic from one folder that is part of one project to a different folder that is part of another project. Is this what you are wanting to do?

If so, you really cannot do that. I mean, you *CAN* move or copy the files, but you cannot expect RoboHelp to know the new file should be part of the destination project. And if moving, RoboHelp will become quite confused and fuss at you as it will be expecting to find the file in the folder and it will have gone missing.

Here's the deal. A RoboHelp project is much more than a simply conglomeration of HTML files and images. There is a main project database that keeps track of all the files and folders that are part of the project. There are lots of small XML files that track the contents of folders. And other XML files that track links, the TOC, the Index and other items. When you import content, all the associated places and files are updated so RoboHelp knows what to do for each one.

So as you can hopefully see, it's not as simple as just moving or copying content.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create copies and then open each one and trash what is not required there.

First though, is it that management really want separate projects or separate outputs? If the latter, it might be better to keep one project and use build tags different layouts.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to batch add files and folders to a RH project, you can also

use my free missing topics fixer script:

http://www.wvanweelden.eu/product/missing-topics-fixer

This creates the required files so RoboHelp can pick up missing/new

files and folders in a project.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the feedback. Couple questions

@petergrainge

I think i'm stuck going this way, copying the entire folder and deleting items out. Management wants to divid the project up for some reason. I did us conditional build tags and seperate TOC's. Now they want seperate projects.

@William van Weelden

Thanks for the option, I signed up for the missing topics script but haven't gotten a confirmation email with the dl. I think this would be helpful as I have all my project files organized in folders. Would this let me copy the folders into a robohelp project and then identify them?

Thanks all for the help,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've send you another mail. PM me if you don't receive it or if you run

into trouble.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would be asking management for their reasons. It is possible they don't realise what can be done and are storing up trouble.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp