• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem importing .png graphics from Word 2010 document into Robohelp 10

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm importing Word 2010 documents (originally created in Word 2003) to Robohelp 10. All the images in my Word documents are .png files. Because I want them to remain .png files in Robohelp, I've selected the "Allow PNG as a Graphics Format" checkbox in Word. However, it seems that Robohelp will only pass through .png files when the images are 100%. If they are less than 100%, it converts them to poor quality .jpg files.

Is there a way around this so I don’t have to resize hundreds of images before conversion?

Also, Robohelp converts .png images in Word tables to .jpg files even when the images have not been resized (that is, they are 100%). Is there a way I can import images within tables as .png graphics?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carolyn

I am sorry I didn't get to set up a test on this earlier but I have done so now.

I discovered it is not Rh that is converting the images to JPGs, that is done by Word before Rh takes the file.

Take one of your Word documents and do a Save As. Choose the WebFiltered option which converts it to an HTML file which is what Rh needs to import. You will find that some of the images are still PNG files and some have been converted to JPGs. In all cases the conversion to JPG is where Word has had to reduce the image to fit the page width. Tables are not of themselves a problem, images there only get converted to JPG if the cell width forces Word to reduce the image size.

Word reducing the image size is the issue. In a copy of the source document that I used for the test above I went to the images where Word had reduced the size and clicked Size and Position > Reset. I saved that document and then imported it. This time all the images were PNGs, same images.

I don't know what you use to grab images to put them into Word but SnagIt for example allows you to resize before you paste into Word. You can do that after capturing or even set the capture to automatically do that as part of the process. By keeping alll you images 100% in Word, you would avoid this problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to round it off, here's a macro that I found that blasts through all the images in a Word document and resets them to 100%. Do that in a copy of the original, save and then import.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help Peter. The timing worked out well as I'm just now getting back to converting Word docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool. Let me know how it goes with the above workflow.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp