• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2 weird errors trying to install/run Acrobat 8 on my PC. I'm lost!

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! My husband purchased Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional (for Windows) many years ago and has one more install allowed on a computer of his choice. He & I wanted to install it on my Windows 7 laptop. I went thru the whole installation process, including giving the serial number or registration number (whatever it's called) but I got stuck in 2 different places.

First, during the installation process, I got a window that said: "The file AdobePDF.dll on Windows Vista CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located, then click OK." I don't understand WHAT on earth that is about, because I'm not running Windows Vista; I'm running Windows 7. I bought this computer used from someone, so maybe she had Vista on it at one point, I don't know. However, I've had it 2-3 years and it has only ever had Windows 7. I had no idea what to do with the request for the Vista CD so I just ignored it and tried to proceed with the installation, hoping the request was for non-crucial files.

Everything seemed OK initially, the installation wizard finished and Acrobat opened. However, when I clicked on ANY option to do ANYTHING in Acrobat, the program stalled for 30 to 60 seconds. Eventually, I got an error window that said: "A serious error has been detected and Adobe 8 Professional cannot continue. Please reinstall the application and try again." So I tried doing that. But it did not help.

Am I totally dead in the water?? I have absolutely no access to a Windows Vista CD, so if that's what Acrobat 8 requires in order to install itself on my Windows 7 laptop, then I am SOL. Also, is the "serious error" related to the lack of the Vista CD? I really hope there is a work-around for this problem. Thanks for any help you can provide! And happy holidays!

Shari K.W. in California (shari516 at yahoo dot com)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you get that message because acrobat 8 was made before win 7 existed.  it's not going to correctly identify your os.

in any case, go here and fix the dll problem, http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-file-adobepdf-dll-needed.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines