• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

rhsnippet.apj Error with RoboHTML 10 Project on Network

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a RoboHTML 10 project on a local drive that was working just fine.

I tried to move the project to a network location. Things seemed to be going well, until I tried adding a new snippet file - when I tried saving the new snippet, I received the following error message:rherror.gif

The snipped was created OK and I could use it in my topics just fine. But when I checked out the rhsnippet.apj file, it was truncated at the end:

rhsnippet.apj.gif

I copied my project back to my local drive, renamed the rhsnippet.apj file, and opened RoboHTML - the rhsnippet.apj file was recreated, and it was no longer truncated.

The local rhsnippet.aps file is about 88 KB while the network version of the file is 76.0 KB. I have 770 snippets and ~4k topics in my project.

I would like to have my RoboHTML project reside on a network folder, but I'm not willing to trust it while this error message appears.

Please let me know if there's something I can do to get this to work... thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scary... RH10 is made so that you should be able to place it on a

network drive. Is your network speed up to par? Do you sometimes lose

connection to the network drive? Does the problem only occur with

snippets, or also with other files?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My network seems up to par - I can transfer large files (>100 MB) between my local disk and shared drives quickly enough (seconds, not minutes), and I don't lose connectivity.

The problem occurs only with snippets that I've noticed - the Broken Links report doesn't show any problems.

One more piece of info - I have had this project in RoboHelp for over 10 years, so it's been upgraded through several versions of RoboHelp. Not sure if that's relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with network drives used to be in the RH architecture for as

fas as I've understood it, not in the projects.

But you can try a small test project freshly created by RH10 on a

network drive. Do you then have the same problems? (You can just copy

your snippet files and the rhsnippet.apj to quicly add a load of snippets.)

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a single-topic project on the network drive and imported all the snippets from my local project.

The rhsnippet.apj file for this little project does not become truncated - it's about 88 KB, the same as the local version of this file.

So I guess this tells me that the problem lies somewhere else in my RH project. Any ideas of where to look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or perhaps the sheer size of the APJ file. What happens if you import

the snippets from your large project into the test project?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I did - when I said that I mported all the snippets from "my local project," I meant from my large project.

It looks like the APJ file size is only an issue when my large, legacy project is on the network. After importing all the snippets from my large, local project into my small test project on the network, the APJ file was just as big, but it did not become corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the problem is only in the one project, correct?

I am not inclined to think it will help but let's rule out CPD file issues. Delete the CPD file, copy the good snippet file in and reopen the project.

Backup first.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears the problem is only in the one project, correct.

I copied the large project to the network, deleted the CPD file, opened the project, and reproduced the error. So is seems like the CPD file is not the issue.

One more thing - I noticed that in addition to the error message popping up when I tried saving a new snippet, it also popped up when I exited the project. It's almost like RH has trouble writing to the file when it's on the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It turns out that this must be an issue with the permissions on the particular network drive that I was using. I can copy the project to a different network drive and subsequently create new snippets without the error message. I've tried doing a few other things, (new topics, new skin, and so on), and all seems to be working correctly.

I guess the lesson learned is to try to factor out network issues as early as possible. Thanks for the help - I've learned a lot along the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp