• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot open book on ereader ALTHOUGH PRESENT IN THE LIBRARY ON THE EBOOK.

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought a new ereader and authorised it correctly with ADE. seems to download a book to the ereader library until i try to open it then it says 'no file found'. In 'annotations' on the reader it also comes up with that message. The books are there in the library on the ereader though!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next step:

Check the state of the file using the file manager (Windows Explorer or Mac FInder) on your computer.

The ereader should show up as a mounted drive when plugged in.

Navigate to a .epub file on the ereader and see if you can open it with ADE (eg drag/drop it onto ADE).

That should confirm whether the correct file really is on the ereader and not corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open the book the message is 'invalid active info.' on the reader. i have just downloaded a new epub book from Adobe's list of sample books. This is ok on the computer and still the same result on the ereader.

Now more developments.....I have actually downloaded a book form Gutenberg and I CAN READ that one on the reader!! What is going on i wonder!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutenberg books will usually be fine, no DRM.  (aside ... Calibre (free) is much better software than ADE for handling non DRM books)

One more thing to try:

1. use file manager to copy a DRM book from the computer to the ereader
  2. then try to read the file from the ereader memory in ADE
  3. then unplug and try to read the file on the ereader.

If the file manager copy doesn't work, maybe there is something odd in the ereader registration?

Try to deregister (ctrl-shift-D to ADE with ereader plugged in, cmd-shift-E on Mac) and reregister the ereader (menu/Help/Authorize device).

If that fails too, I'm not sure what to suggest.

If the file manager copy does work, looks like something wrong in the ADE DRM file copy mechanism.

In that case, it may be worth trying with the older more reliable ADE1.7.2

~~~

~~~~~~~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Some people have found ADE trying to upgrade automatically. 

It appears (not 100% sure) that if you install ADE2.0 as a new install (not as an upgrade) that your 1.7.2 will continue to run.

Probably best to say no if 2.0.x installation asks if you want to migrate your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2013 Dec 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been able to install this version on my laptop but can you tell me how I can now get it onto my Pico Ereader. I cannot find an option to change the destination folder for the install. I am getting so very frustrated with this new ereader. I started with Version 2.0 and all I could get was a message when I tried to read the books on the reader which said "file open failed". Thanks Very much. Rina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't install ADE on the ereader, it already has the necessary software builtin (assuming it is one that supports Adobe DRM),

1. plug in the ereader and run ADE (Digital Editions)
  2. If all goes well, when the ereader is plugged in it should show in the left panel of the Library section in ADE.
  3. Authorize ADE with your Adobe ID (menu/Help/Authorize Computer on v2.0, Library/Authorize Computer on the older more reliable 1.7.2)
  4. Authorize the ereader (menu/Help/Authorize Device on v2.0, Library/Authorize Device on 1.7.2)
  5. Drag books from your ADE library onto the device in ADE; that should copy them across
  6. You should now be able to read them on the ereader when the ereader is unplugged

If any of those steps fails, post back to say exactly where it failed, and what message you got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the ADE as per the instructions in the booklet that came with

my Pico Life ereader. Prior to that the message I was recieving read "file

open failed". I followed the steps as you detailed above and still recieved

the same message. I have tried with ADE installed, without ADE installed

and the only difference is now I am also getting a message which says "file

not found". Do you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just checked the instruction booklet for my reader and it says

double click on the readers disk to open, double click on the

digitaleditions_172 file to open the installer or alternatively you can

download the installer from

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/#fp. The download was the

option I used as I could not find the file on my ereader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I am following your steps. Have copied the book across and can

see it in book on my ereader. It is an epub file. I have tried to open it

and the message reads "file open failed"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Granma Rina Answer on your other thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines