Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open my borrowed library book on my kobo touch

Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded both adobe digital editions 2.0 and 1.7 and have authorized my device and my computer with my adobe id.  it still won't let me open my borrowed epub book.  it comes up as "oops! This document couldn't be opened...not currently authorized for use with your adobe id.  please sign in with the authorized adobe id and try again.'

not sure what else to do, would really like to read a book with my ereader....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking ...

1. Can the book be read on ADE (digital editions) itself?
  2. Did ADE allow you to copy the book to the kobo?
  3. Have you any bought Adobe DRM books you can test with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for taking the time to respond to my question!

1. yes i can read the book on my computer through ade

2. yes ade allowed me to copy it to my kobo, the book is on my kobo, but the picture is black and when i press on it to open it the warning comes up about not being able to open it.

3.  the other books that are on my reader say "KOBO EPUB" beside them and I can read them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I can't think of much else to suggest.

Is this all borrowed books or just one?

When I had a bookeen Opus I found a few books that it just could not open (including one that crashed the Opus when it tried).

Maybe you have hit the same issue with the Kobo?

It might be worth trying a DRM stripper such as epubee and seeing if you can read the stripped book on the Kobo.

I do NOT advocate using such code to get around the valid limitations placed on a DRM book.

However, where the problem arises only because of the ineptness of Adobe's ADEPT DRM infrastructure and its implementation,

such a measure is totally justifiable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the EXACT same problem!

I am not willing to try a "DRM stripper"

I have also tried installing the earlier (apparently more reliable) version of ADE and this also did not work.

Are these forums the only way to access customer support for Adobe Digital Editions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is quite rare that any Adobe people respond on this forum.

You can try Live Chat, but as ADE is free they are apparantly not usually willing to help except for resetting authorizations (when you have too many devices authorized).

Adobe Live Chat: http://www.adobe.com/support/chat/ivrchat.html,

or as a slight short cut try http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=digital-editions&topic=using-my-product-or-service

Click on 'I still need help' and then you should see 'Chat with an Agent' at the bottom of the page.

'Ask our experts' will indeed just lead you back to this forum.

Sometimes you will get ‘Sorry! All agents are busy— please check back soon.’

Don’t refresh the page, just hang on and it should eventually go to ‘Chat Now, and agent is available’.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Ask our experts" is the only option given. Nothing about chatting with an agent.

Thank you very much for trying to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked, and I see my instructions were incomplete or they have change the details.

Once you have the page up, you must select a topic from the list (any topic) before you go on to 'I stilll need help'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still just get "Ask our experts"

There are a few links to generic help pages that don't address my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, working for me.  I assume you are logged in as you are using the forum?

A screenshot below just in case it triggers an idea.  Good luck

livechat.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got through to a live chat with Adobe (Yay!).... it wasn't a problem with Adobe at all. All I had to do was a factory reset on my Kobo Touch. After that everything worked fine.

To do the factory reset you just have to go to the menue icon in the top right corner > Settings > Device Info > Factory Reset

Then follow the prompts for setting up your device again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I am going to try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into helping me, it is much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue as well.  I couldn't open DRM protected books from the library.

(I bought a new kobo aura.) 

My solution that I finally figured out after days and days of frustration was:

Go into where your kobo file on your computer.

Right click and run the trouble shooter.

Once that is done reboot your computer.

Open digital editions and plug in your kobo.

Authorize device. (Computer you should have authorized before)

Now drag and drop your library book onto kobo.

Eject your kobo.

You should be able to open your books on the kobo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know how you went. But the only way I got to read library books was to delete digital editions 4.0 and install 3.0. works fine now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't understand the instructions from "friend of adobe" above, but snlundie's suggestion worked perfect.  Downgraded to 3.0 and problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had this problem a number of times.  Sometimes a factory reset has resolved it...but not this time.  All the books I downloaded from my local library can be read in ADE on my laptop.  But some of them wouldn't open on my Kobo - black icon & an 'oops, this item is DRM protected'.  Hours & hours of my life have been spent on this.  I think I've finally come up with a solution.  I downloaded Calibre and installed a plug in (see How to remove ebook DRM with Calibre | TechRadar) for instructions.  Now I download the book from the library to ADE...and then move the file to Calibre and then transfer them to my Kobo.  What a pain...but at least I can now read my library books.  No, I'm not spreading them all over the internet...no, I'm not a thief.  I just want to read my legally rented library books on my Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines