• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are we finally free of spam messages?

LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just noticed that there is no active thread for reporting spam, as the one we were using, Spam report thread [7] has now been archived and no new one has been created. Does this mean that the new security measures have made it impossible to post spam in these forums?

It is true that I have not seen any spam message in the last few weeks, but the forums I frequent are a tine fraction of  the whole list. And in any case, I think that the new login process, that seems to work randomly but unpleasantly, is to high a price to pay for the lack of spam messages. There are no security problems in the forums.adobe.com forums so there is really no reason to make it so difficult to login in them...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen no spam for a long time either, Claudio.

But I have noticed that at least some threads are suddenly archived quite  early, much earlier than earlier, the Spam thread after less than a month and a half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether there is no spam or they made it such a PIA to get in it's not worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone is spamming the forums by posting a link to a commercial site, but there is no Report spam forum to report this. I have used the Report button for one of these messages, but don't have the time to try to report each one of them separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... start a new Report Spam message in this forum and see if a MOD pays attention and lock's the spammer's account

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I refuse to open yet another new one. One would expect a member of the staff or a mod to take the initiative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open one, I will use it, Claudio. For a long time, it was you that (had) opened the Spam thread(s), and all was well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened them because the previous ones had been locked -not by me- and days passed without a thread to report spam. Same as now, but I think that a plain member with no special qualifications and very little points should not be opening threads that ar really responsibility of the forum administration. Not to mention the fact that, in this occasion, a very peculiar "solution" has already been adopted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the case Claudio, and your efforts are very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 29, 2013 Dec 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What it the difference in reporting spam on the spam thread or just clicking on Report Abuse?  The latter is what I use after clicking appropriate box.  Add note if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now? I don't know we will have to wait for the experts to meet to know. This is what I wrote in the now active Spam Report thread:

...we have been told many times that posting the URL of the spammer's profile is extremely useful for forum admininstrstion, as it allows them to take further action on the spammers even if the actual offending threads have been removed. Also, posting here those URLs does not give spammers yet another public link to their content, unless someone specifically lloks for that contents in their profiles.

We have been encouraged to use both methods for reporting spam, and I at least have been doing so for years. If things have changed now and it is useless to duplicate reports, then the very existence of a Report Spam forum is pointless.

Could someone please officially clarify what the situation is? It's disconcerting for us plain users to receive contradictory requests/instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

What it the difference in reporting spam on the spam thread or just clicking on Report Abuse?

When using the Report button, mods can immediately see it in their 'Your Stuff' section.  Post in the Report Spam thread can only be seen when coming to this forum (or mods being subscribed to that topic will get an email message).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do they stil serve a different function? Are we still encouraged to use both methods, or those who do are wasting our time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this from Pat,

(or mods being subscribed to that topic will get an email message)

covers it well.

And I have also (mis)understood that the thread reporting was encouraged. So much so that I have never used the button, choosing the other option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, my point is that I didn't know mods have the power do disable users/accounts and go even further. If they do, then a Spam thread is redundant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Simple MOD's cannot disable an account - but they CAN report to an Adobe Administrator, who can, and usually will.

Just for clarification.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I am unsure of what mods may be able to do; I thought (I knew) that only staff could disable users/accounts (permanently).

As far as I remember, John once stated his recommendation of using the spam thread, and I gave it no further thought after that; maybe an inadequate effort.

Happy New Year Claudio, Pat, and Bill, whether it be in about a day or in about a month and a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, as far as I can remember, JC posted his recommendation much more than once. As I recall things, his argument was that the Report button warns the mods quickly and directly, enabling them to speedily remove the offending post(s). Mods could remove the post(s) but could or could not look for other messages by the same spammer, and could or could not escalate the report to forum administration, as Bill informs us. Posting the URL of the spammer's identity in the Report Spam forum enables forum administration to take much stronger actions against the spammer, even if the offending messages are no longer there.

If things are as I recall them, then it's reasonable to request reporting spam messages both ways. On the other had, if things have changed with time, it would be wise to revise the situation, and forget about the Spam thread. Either way, we plain users should be informed of the present situation.

All the best to all of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment, it is still best to report both ways -- let the moderators know immediately about the worst of the spam and clean it up (by reporting posts), and separately let the admins do more cleanup on the backend (by posting to the SPAM topic).  Many times the moderators report the serious offenders to the SPAM topic (especially when they have too many posts to clean up easily).

If this changes, we'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I know I can trust your word. However, others who are not visiting this thread but go to the present active Spam forum may be misled by posts such as this:

In reality the Report button is much more effective and we strongly advise you use that instead. This thread is useful for reporting something other than a forum post (such as profile or PM spam) but giving a spammer yet another public link to their content, even for a couple of hours, is counterproductive. We want spam to die quickly and silently - the Report system does that.

This clearly states that we should use the not very prominent Report button instead of the Spam thread, a button that is even more hidden when one tries to report the opening message of a thread.

It is very disconcerting for us plain users to receive contradictory signals on what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is more effective depends on your viewpoint: are you a moderator  (who just deletes one at a time) or an admin (who can ban and delete all messages).

Report is best for moderators, and the spam thread is best for admins (who don't see all the moderated reports).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for a most clear explanation. And it looks to me that mods and administrators need to talk about this so that they give only one common answer. For my part, and based on your words, I will continue using both methods.

All the best in this just begionnoing year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines