• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a guide for starting coldfusion development on Ubuntu?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully installed coldfusion on Ubuntu 13.10, but as a newbie to Ubuntu I am looking for a guide on the best way to continue from here?

For example, I can view the CFADMIN at "http://localhost:8500/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm", but am having difficulties viewing test documents placed in the wwwroot folder.

Wayne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wayne,

What is the version of ColdFusion you are using? ColdFusion is not yet supported on Ubuntu 13.10. It's great , that it is working for you.

You may refer to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Developing/index.html and http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/getting-started-with-tomcat-in-coldfusion-10.

If you are able to access CF Admin, that means, CF engine is working on your server. Is there any specific code/file not working for you?

Regards

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anit!

I am accustomed to setting up my applications through IIS ... and developing in Dreamweaver ... and it is quite easy to be up and viewing quickly.

In the past 30 min I have successfully viewed my test page (finally).

There seems to be a large learning curve re permissions and the like.  I cannot just right click and add folders per Windows.

I guess what I am looking for is a guide pointing out the differences between use of CF in Windows compared to Ubuntu, and how to navigate these successfully.

Another "problem" will be getting MySQL up and going too of course!

I have scoured the internet and cannot see much for Ubuntu bunnies like me

Cheers, Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wayne,

I am not sure about a document describing the difference between use in windows/ubuntu from Adobe. You can search on the web (I found one non-adobe article, you may refer to http://www.iknowkungfoo.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/5/24/Moving-Coldfusion-applications-from-Windows-to-... ). Happy searching.

You can use the commannd to create the connector between Apache (Ubuntu) and CF

/opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/runtime/bin/wsconfig -ws Apache -dir /etc/httpd/conf -v

Verify your Apache configuration

1. Verify that one of the following files was created

cf_root/config/wsconfig/number

2. To set the connectionpooltimeout and reuseconnectioncount click on Advanced Setting tab.

Configuring Apache:

• Creates a folder 1 in cfroot\config\wsconfig that contains all connector-related files.
  • Creates a file mod_jk.conf in Apache_root_folder\conf. This file has paths to all files in the cfroot\config\wsconfig\1 directory.
  • Adds an entry in the httpd.conf file of Apache to include mod_jk.conf.
  • The following files are significant:

a) uriworkermap.properties: Mapped extensions based on which the connector forwards requests to Tomcat.

b) mod_jk.conf: Contains paths to all files in the \config\wsconfig\1 directory.

• Change the entry JKloglevel info to JKloglevel debug for debugging purposes.

Note: For virtual host configuration, add the following entry in each of the virtual blocks: JkMountFile "cfroot\config\wsconfig\1\uriworkermap.properties:".

You can also refer to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Installing/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cdec18c28-7ffd.htm...for difference for webconnector between windows and linux.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Anit

Thank you so much for all the help!  The general guide on the differences immediately solved one problem once I changed the name of "application.cfm" to "Application.cfm"

I am far from a "power user", but am enjoying the learning process.  Inevitably I find that most of my encountered problems are associatied with permissions.

For a few brief years I was a cf developer, but now work in the tennis field at a large club.  I developed an application which saved me hours and hours of work, and this application has become a key element in the whole summer program.  Unfortunately, after migrating to CF10 from CF9 I can no longer connect to smtp.gmail.com (after hours and hours of searching for a work-around).  Luckily I still had the same application on an older laptop, which was using CF9 ... and so I was still able to work as I wanted.

I decided to partition my new laptop to see if CF10 would work as I needed on Ubuntu.... which explains my intial posting.

I am very happy to report that, with your help, I have had success.  For the record this is what I did

• after installing Ubuntu I followed this great guide:  http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-apache-and-coldfusion-9-on-ubuntu-9.04 (of course installing the downloaded CF10 and not CF9)
  • BUT, the apache connector didn't work for me. (this was before the above posting of Anit's ... and as a Ubuntu newbe I couldn't see any way forward)
  • so I uninstalled coldfusion and reinstalled ... as a standalone server
  • no problem at all viewing the CF Admin page
  • after installing and running msql, I imported my club database and application files
  • not a problem creating the appropriate datasource within CF Admin
  • BUT, I couldn't view my application in a browser after moving it to the "wwwroot" folder
  • finally I (fortuitously) changed the permissions on this application folder so that I had appropriate rights ... which had a GUI allowing me to do so, otherwise I think I never would have done it alone!
  • Immediately I could view index.cfm, but then I would have a DATASOURCE error when I drilled down
  • Once I saw that "application.cfm" had to have a capital "A" i.e. "Aplication.cfm" everything worked
  • went to "mail" under CF Admin. Verifying my mail server was at first annoying.  Port 465 with TLS checked didn't work ... but then port 587 verified!
  • a test email to myself using my application in the browser proved successful...yay!

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Again Anit, thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't really want the hassle of setitng up web servers and database servers etc, an alternative is www.cfmldeveloper.com, then the only thing you need to run locally is your IDE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Wayne,

I am glad, I was able to help you.

waynefdavies wrote:

Dear Anit

Thank you so much for all the help!  The general guide on the differences immediately solved one problem once I changed the name of "application.cfm" to "Application.cfm"

I am far from a "power user", but am enjoying the learning process.  Inevitably I find that most of my encountered problems are associatied with permissions.

Please let us know, if there is something still not working in CF10. You can open a new thread, if it's a new issue and not discussed above.

Regards

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation